Norsat 5150 vs 3120

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
As some of you may know that I am in middle of a c band dish installation process. I am buying necessary parts such as lnb, controllers, etc. I will be placing an order for the ASC1 in the next few days and have decided on this feedhorn ADL C-band Feedhorn Feed Horn SAPM90 C Band cband PM90 | eBay (cheapest decent option available). I am confused about the LNB part. Norsat 3120 has better stability whereas 5150 has more gain. I read on a different forum that 3120 is usually recommended for a commercial setting on a fixed dish and might not work as good as a 5150 on a moving dish. Is this true?

I use both DRO and PLL Norsats. In certain situations the DRO will be more sensitive but the PLL is more stable. The biggest Issue I had deciding between the two is the power consumption. The PLLs need a lot more power than the DROs.

I use both DRO and PLL Norsats. In certain situations the DRO will be more sensitive but the PLL is more stable. The biggest Issue I had deciding between the two is the power consumption. The PLLs need a lot more power than the DROs.
I am not worried about the power consumption because that can be easily solved by adding a power inserter like the one directv uses. My question is for an average Joe like me who is in fringe reception area for almost every C band beam would the 3120 be any better than the 5150?

Both lnb in op are pll. I have pair of 5150f on a ortho feed they have performed ok. Choice was made because of cost, needed a pair for the ortho but if i was purchasing a single for a feed with skew probably would have choose 3120. I could not go with feed like that have too many tuners and receivers to have hands tied with single polarity at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyboy90
Your choice of feed is very nice and infinitely adjustable with asc1. But if purchase is not made yet put some consideration into orthomode as I hear Alberta is very cold and polarizer for polarity and skew commonly fail, perhaps not the case with lower humidity in west. But here I don't think i have single functioning polarizer on any of my collection of old feeds.

1 last comment in regard to op. I saw no gain improvement with 5150f over dro only more stability enabled lock on 16apsk feeds with not alot of error correction that I was not able to reliably lock prior. Many claim stronger signal but I didn't see it in back to back db comparison. Only larger reflector = stronger signal

Last edited:
Your choice of feed is very nice and infinitely adjustable with asc1. But if purchase is not made yet put some consideration into orthomode as I hear Alberta is very cold and polarizer for polarity and skew commonly fail, perhaps not the case with lower humidity in west. But here I don't think i have single functioning polarizer on any of my collection of old feeds.
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct about the colder temps so I will start looking for orthomode feedhorn.

Yes a orthomode feedhorn would give you the best reception. Though keep in mind, the dish size and dish/feed alignment is critical. 3120 is a very nice lnb with a very solid LO stability level, but it's pricey...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)