Norsat LNB Cheap!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I got one of these today. Don't think you can get s2 on a 8 footer? think again!
This lnb outperforms the no-name 17k I have and several other lnbs by a longshot. This ebay seller has them for much cheaper then any online store.

DVB-s2 channels that had a quality bouncing from 60s to the 70s, now lock in in the mid 70s with little quality movement
.Analog channels that had sparklies either dropped them altogether or reduced the amount of them.

If you want a good quality lnb, you can't go wrong!

Norsat 8525 C-Band DRO LNB **New** 500KHz Stability - eBay (item 130400502205 end time Oct-12-10 08:34:34 PDT)

Note: They will take a best offer of 45.00, but thats low as they go!

Thanks for the info, I asked him how mush shipping would be for two of these to Canada. I'm contemplating using a dual feed horn. I have 7.5' dish and get most s2 but wouldn't mind getting extra Q. currently using a BSC421 but think I could do better.

Ciao

I got one of these today. Don't think you can get s2 on a 8 footer? think again!
This lnb outperforms the no-name 17k I have and several other lnbs by a longshot. This ebay seller has them for much cheaper then any online store.

DVB-s2 channels that had a quality bouncing from 60s to the 70s, now lock in in the mid 70s with little quality movement
.Analog channels that had sparklies either dropped them altogether or reduced the amount of them.

If you want a good quality lnb, you can't go wrong!

Norsat 8525 C-Band DRO LNB **New** 500KHz Stability - eBay (item 130400502205 end time Oct-12-10 08:34:34 PDT)

Note: They will take a best offer of 45.00, but thats low as they go!

For norsat LNB 8525 vs 8515

The 8 stands for DRO (I think it does anyway, since the 3000 series is PLL)
The 5 stands for the drift or stability of the Local Oscillator which in this case is 500Khz (not as good as 100Khz but pretty good, but you probably already know this )

The 25 stands for the noise temperature in degrees Kalvin

<snip>
The noise of a system or network can be defined in three different but related ways: noise factor (Fn), noise figure (NF) and equivalent noise temperature (Te); these properties are definable as a simple ratio, decibel ratio or temperature, respectively.
</snip>

I think you need a physics degree to fully understand this (and I don't) but the lower the temperature the better. Anyone explain this better?

Anyway, from my findings....15 or 25 degrees probably doesn't make much of difference with our FTA endeavors, the real price point difference seems to be with the "drift of stability" (being 100Khz vs 500Khz) and the fact that it's a DRO vs PLL. (Phase lock loop being the Uber LNB)

In short 8525 vs 8515 doesn't seem to make a big impact, with the 8515 being slightly better noise temp.

At 49 bucks a piece I have to say it's a good find, thanks again!

Same LO stability, whats the difference?

ive boughten 4 of the 8515's from this seller. they work great. but i could still get s2 on my 8 footer with a dmx741. they do perform well in an orthomode feed but tweaking is still required.

crackt out,.

So in your opinion is it worth spending the $49 X 2 9 9 (and shipping) plus the $50 feed horn (and the mulitswitch etc)?
I see this as a learning experience to setup an orthopmode feed and play with it. And I must admit I am a bit curious as to how much more Q I'd get.

Let me put it to you this way... Was there any s2 you couldn't get with the dmx741 that you could now get with the orthomode dual feedhorn?

Thanks...

ive boughten 4 of the 8515's from this seller. they work great. but i could still get s2 on my 8 footer with a dmx741. they do perform well in an orthomode feed but tweaking is still required.

crackt out,.

its touchy but i have seen quality that id never see with my dmx741. the ortho setup is heavy but it was nice to see s2 at 100Q's on the az elite and a 10 foot mesh.

crackt out,.

Decided to go ahead and get two of the 8515 model. Quite interesting, I was out at the local TV station this evening and they have the monster cband dishes each had dual 8115s. Thanks to coinmaster32 for the tip.

its touchy but i have seen quality that id never see with my dmx741. the ortho setup is heavy but it was nice to see s2 at 100Q's on the az elite and a 10 foot mesh.

crackt out,.

I use Norsat 8515 and 8115 LNBs and they are rock solid. Best performing LNB out there other than Cal Amp. I wouldn't use anything else.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts