NORTH facing Dish

negma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Temporarily, I am moving in to a new apartment, but the patio is facing NORTH. I have dish equipments and receivers and I would like to know if there is any channel available if I have access to ONLY the northern sky.

Although I don't have any FTA equipment, I suspect most if not all sats are in geosynch orbit over the equator. Thus, unless you live in South America, you need a southern view.

LOL.. I know there are a few northern sats on c band that the russians put up there way before the days of the clark belt. I think some can be had still today but those days are almost long gone.

HMMM... geostationary orbit over the north pole. They could service most of the northern hemisphere.

I know there are a few northern sats on c band that the russians put up there way before the days of the clark belt.
I think you must be talking about the Molniya orbit. Highly elliptical 12hr period with a long apogee dwell. This allows the satellite to spend most of it's time at high latitudes. This permits an antenna also at high latitudes to point at high elevation angles minimizing obstructions and weather problems, but at the expense of tracking the satellite through the sky.

I think you must be talking about the Molniya orbit. Highly elliptical 12hr period with a long apogee dwell. This allows the satellite to spend most of it's time at high latitudes. This permits an antenna also at high latitudes to point at high elevation angles minimizing obstructions and weather problems, but at the expense of tracking the satellite through the sky.

Yep thats exactly what Im talking about!

Well........if you knew absolutely nothing about satellite systems and how they work then you might be likely to ask something like that.
so is that...Question: are you familiar with the term "due dilligence"?..Or how about becoming an "educated consumer"?..
More frequrntly I am coming across people who have no clue what they just spent thier hard earned money on..I arrive at their home and they are clueless. Some do not know what porgramming they ordered, the number tv's to be connected. One thing they do have on common is they all want their hand held.

HMMM... geostationary orbit over the north pole. They could service most of the northern hemisphere.
Not possible. Being in "orbit" requires movement around something. The geosynchronous satellites are above the equator, moving at a speed which matches the Earth's rotation, that's why they "appear" to be in a fixed location relative to the ground. Above the North Pole there would be no relative movement other than straight down!

I arrive at their home and they are clueless. Some do not know what porgramming they ordered, the number tv's to be connected. One thing they do have on common is they all want their hand held.

You make a valid point but the solution is not attacking those seeking knowledge. This guy didn't know so he found this forum and asked the question.

Someone has reason to be proud and someone else doesn't.

cant he get a big enough mirror to bounce his signal off and send it backwards to the the satellite in southern skies?

If he lives on the top floor of an apartment building and lives in an area that has a high elevation angle relative to the satellite (like Southern California) it is possible. I have seen more than a few people with north facing balconies that have put a dish on a pole tall enough to get a signal. Ugly to be sure, but effective. I have also seen people with north facing balconies that live on the northeast corner of their building get signal by extending a pole off the balcony to the corner of the building. If you can secure the pole to the balcony railing with C-clamps or something of that nature this can also get the job done. Some have had success using a phased-array (flat panel) antenna mounted with suction cups to the outside of a window that is facing in the correct direction. This method is a bit more hazardous as you have to lean out the window to attach the antenna to the outside. Also those flat panel antennas can be pretty expensive, and are less sensitive than a parabolic dish.

my favorite one when you show up and there is no line of sight and people tell "Well cant you just move the satellites?" yes ill get right on it and i will go back to the other 14 million customers to re point there dishes as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)