Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I have arrived at our family Vacation Home and found two out of the dozen or so OTA channels are working, the rest had no signal. I did a rescan and came up with 8 channels found: six for WFUP 45-01 thru 45-06, 22-01 (ID’d as DTV by our Dish VIP 211), and 20-01, also ID’d as DTV.

Tuning in either of the two ”DTV” channels a slate is shown with a -20 dB 1 kHz test tone:
AC7F18C3-8AA1-4752-8EEB-2E2C8588C39A.jpeg
So, I guess it’s safe to assume that whatever TV receiving technology we are using currently is now obsolete. I wonder what we’re missing?

According to RabbitEars, the three channels are on 20, 21, and 22, all located on the same tower, just over 50 miles away. With the rain and high-humidity, the other channels (27 & 31) we should be seeing are not showing up. Ah, hiding channels not on the Air makes those two vanish. But WGTU (29) and WPBN (35) should come in and I will need to wait until the conditions improve.

I have arrived at our family Vacation Home and found two out of the dozen or so OTA channels are working, the rest had no signal. I did a rescan and came up with 8 channels found: six for WFUP 45-01 thru 45-06, 22-01 (ID’d as DTV by our Dish VIP 211), and 20-01, also ID’d as DTV.
But WGTU (29) and WPBN (35) should come in and I will need to wait until the conditions improve.

Hi Foxbat,

I apparently haven't checked in on this forum in the past few weeks, as I'm only today seeing your post about Northern Michigan. I grew up near Cadillac, and as an OTA geek have set up TV antennas for two households by Charlevoix.

Did WGTU (29) and WPBN (RF 35, vc 7.n) ever start coming in at your family vacation home? They've been on the air throughout the month, both per logging on the RabbitEars Live Bandscan (I've even had WPBN reach my HDHR tuner under ideal conditions, and I'm 110 miles south), and the fact that my Charlevoix family and friend haven't asked me about not receiving ABC and NBC.

If they didn't come through for you at all, one small thought I had is maybe there needs to be a new LTE filter added at your location. Perhaps T-Mobile has lit up on a close-by tower and is swamping the tuner (especially if you have a pre-amp or amp inline) ... but you likely already have considered that since early August.

If you're still "Up North", what's been added as the new 45-7 subchannel? I see today that Trip has it noted in the WFUP listing, but neither he nor anyone editing Wikipedia have cited the content. My guess is that it's a shopping channel or maybe Grit (since WWTV 9 added Grit a few weeks ago). Not that you receive WWTV 9, but I see RabbitEars has a 9-7 noted as coming soon.

Shopping comes to mind readily, as where I'm at in the Grand Rapids/West Michigan market, WXMI (RF19) added 17.6 ShopLC last week. 3 Full Service/Full Power stations here now have ShopLC.

Those upcoming ATSC 3.0 stations are for the Evoca Michigan market--Info.: The smart, simple way to watch TV! and Evoca Launches in Northern Michigan - 9 & 10 News .

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Hi Foxbat,

I apparently haven't checked in on this forum in the past few weeks, as I'm only today seeing your post about Northern Michigan. I grew up near Cadillac, and as an OTA geek have set up TV antennas for two households by Charlevoix.

Did WGTU (29) and WPBN (RF 35, vc 7.n) ever start coming in at your family vacation home? They've been on the air throughout the month, both per logging on the RabbitEars Live Bandscan (I've even had WPBN reach my HDHR tuner under ideal conditions, and I'm 110 miles south), and the fact that my Charlevoix family and friend haven't asked me about not receiving ABC and NBC.

If they didn't come through for you at all, one small thought I had is maybe there needs to be a new LTE filter added at your location. Perhaps T-Mobile has lit up on a close-by tower and is swamping the tuner (especially if you have a pre-amp or amp inline) ... but you likely already have considered that since early August.

If you're still "Up North", what's been added as the new 45-7 subchannel? I see today that Trip has it noted in the WFUP listing, but neither he nor anyone editing Wikipedia have cited the content. My guess is that it's a shopping channel or maybe Grit (since WWTV 9 added Grit a few weeks ago). Not that you receive WWTV 9, but I see RabbitEars has a 9-7 noted as coming soon.

Shopping comes to mind readily, as where I'm at in the Grand Rapids/West Michigan market, WXMI (RF19) added 17.6 ShopLC last week. 3 Full Service/Full Power stations here now have ShopLC.

Those upcoming ATSC 3.0 stations are for the Evoca Michigan market--Info.: The smart, simple way to watch TV! and Evoca Launches in Northern Michigan - 9 & 10 News .

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
Stan, his family vacation home is on Beaver Island, in the top middle of Lake Michigan. He likely needs a much better antenna, such as the newest Televes Dat Boss Mix LR (long range) model # 149884. I somehow missed this thread when originally posted.

I forgot to update this thread after the skies cleared and I was able to pull in WPBN and WGTU a few days before we left. My sister and her husband were happy that I was able to get the AV Technology updated with the repacked TV channels.

Thanks for posting the link to the Evoca Pay TV service. I’ll pass this along to my family and they might want to investigate this service. We are currently using the Dish Pay As You Go services so this might be another option if the ViP211 receivers give up the ghost at some point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts