Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
fta and pansat dvb blind scan and feed questions

i was wondering if most of the ku feeds are scrambled or in the clear? i looked at the ku charts and counted around 500 or so feed tps! alot of cbs and nbc feeds and alot of just feeds. are most in clear or scrambled? also do they have to be going on when you do a blind scan to show up on your channel list or should all the tps pop up even if the feed isnt being used at the moment? alot of times when i blind scan tps will show up and no channels will come up after the scan.and sometimes i will get a tv1 or tv 5 returned but nothing but a black screen and it will say free on the provider. is that a feed? i have only been on ku for three days so any help is appreciated. thanks! joe

i was wondering if most of the ku feeds are scrambled or in the clear?
both. Most news feeds are clear and a fair amountof sports are too. Some sports are scrambled

i looked at the ku charts and counted around 500 or so feed tps!
There is more than that...in your other thread I mentioned why you couldnt just input all the feeds into the box :)

alot of cbs and nbc feeds and alot of just feeds. are most in clear or scrambled?
read above

also do they have to be going on when you do a blind scan to show up on your channel list or should all the tps pop up even if the feed isnt being used at the moment?
please read your other thread. I answered it yesterday with the same info as you are asking here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...84-satellite-reciever-without-blind-scan.html

alot of times when i blind scan tps will show up and no channels will come up after the scan.and sometimes i will get a tv1 or tv 5 returned but nothing but a black screen and it will say free on the provider. is that a feed?
yes those are feeds but you should be getting much more than that. If you scan around the supper time (between 4-7 CST for me) there are tons of news feeds on AMC5, AMC9, IA8, G11, IA6

i was wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong with my setup. i am using a 8 ft unimesh c band system. i am getting 75 pct quality on my sats, but i am not getting all the tps on the sats. like t6, i am getting perfect reception on the analog and 80 pct on about 5 tps, but then there are 4 or 5 at only 40 or 50 pct and the rest nothing at all! arent all the tps the same horizontal and vertical as they would be on analog. on my analog my receptions are usually 180 for vert and 120 for horizontal. are the digital the same pretty much? i mean obviously my dish is pretty well aligned or i couldnt get 80 pct quality on the sats. are the vert and horiz numbers different on digital? has anyone else ever had this problem? thanks guys. joe

sometimes i have to manually enter the tp to get it. my coolsat doesn't like the near threshold one like the montana pbs i miss it with a scan every time but manually key it in and its there . give it a try.

yeah i will try it.so just scan the tps as a tp scan instead of a blind scan? when the tp is inactive will the tp scan not bring in the channel or will it bring it in even if the feed isnt on at the time? if so it must take forever to get all the channels programmed in. it looks like as long as the tp is there it would scan the channels regardless of if there is a feed on or not.

i always blind scan, and add manually if i know of a missing tp's
i then go back and delete inactive tps , it cuts down on all the clutter
but thats just me.

i'm a scanning fool looking for anything so sometimes time isn't improtant plus i'm a shift worker and sometimes scanning burns up off time lol lol

yeah i here you. i have a pansat 2700. i like analog because i just go to a sat and manually scan, it takes me maybe five minutes to go through the sats on analog. sometimes a blind scan on just one sat takes me five minutes! i will miss analog, actually 90 pct of my viewing is on my analog receiver. i guess maybe i am scanning at the wrong times on the dvb. i have noticed when i am off on friday tons of analog feeds are on in the morning so i will scan for feeds in the morning with dvb.

I merged your two threads together

Joe...do me a favour and READ the reponses people put in your threads. That will help you along the way. You keep posting and not reading the answers people give. I have posted now in THREE different threads the same answers to the same questions you ask. But since its late and I can't sleep I guess I can regurgitate the same info again

when the tp is inactive will the tp scan not bring in the channel or will it bring it in even if the feed isnt on at the time?
NO, nada, nyet, nope, no sir-re-bob...no signal no channel

it looks like as long as the tp is there it would scan the channels regardless of if there is a feed on or not.
again, no. Since it doesn't know the symbol rate it can't scan it in.

i like analog because i just go to a sat and manually scan, it takes me maybe five minutes to go through the sats on analog.
thats because the frequencies are the same regardless of satellite. Only difference is what chanels are V and what channels are H. So Channel 4 on G3, G4, G7, AMC3, AMC6, AMC7, etc are the same...only diff is polarity

sometimes a blind scan on just one sat takes me five minutes!
heh, try a satellite like G3 when the signal is nuts on. It will take longer than that.
i guess maybe i am scanning at the wrong times on the dvb. i have noticed when i am off on friday tons of analog feeds are on in the morning so i will scan for feeds in the morning with dvb.
There are channels up on C-Band Digital 24/7. Try to lock on those. Again, analog has slack and you can be off a smidge and still get a good picture. Digital has to be Nuts on or no signal (or weak) and in some cases the dish has to be nudged for 2 different channels on the same satellite

i was wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong with my setup. i am using a 8 ft unimesh c band system. i am getting 75 pct quality on my sats, but i am not getting all the tps on the sats. like t6, i am getting perfect reception on the analog and 80 pct on about 5 tps, but then there are 4 or 5 at only 40 or 50 pct and the rest nothing at all!
T6 is a bugger. I have a thread on that here with my 6 footer
arent all the tps the same horizontal and vertical as they would be on analog.
nope. They can be either or.

on my analog my receptions are usually 180 for vert and 120 for horizontal. are the digital the same pretty much?
I have no idea what you are saying there...are you talking about skew?
i mean obviously my dish is pretty well aligned or i couldnt get 80 pct quality on the sats.
not necessarily. Some satellites have very strong transponders. I can get World Harvest on G4 at a 75-90+ and unless I'm nuts on the nets on G4 do not come in. If I go far enough east I can get BYU TV & KCSG on IA5 at the same time but not much else on G4 besides the nets (low quality) and WHT.

The best thing to do is put in a KNOWN active digital transponder and try to see if the dish can pick it up. Try it on a couple satellites. If it doesn't work, then the dish isn't aimed 100% properly.

I can get analog no issues on the 6 footer but unless its peaked just right digital will not come in.

i didn't read all the threads but now that they are in one. Joe are you getting ku with this dish. just wondering or if its c band only i've slowly expanded my dish farm and will soon be up to 3 primestars set up for ku ( working on combining some to a multifeed dish) and currently 2 c-band dishes (hopefully going to add 2 more before years end) Reason i'm doing this is cause i like stationary dishes and channel flipping is faster. I will also have to figure out setting up a motor setup for ku (my current one is DeaD) and i have one of my BUD setup with a motor now. trying to prepare for fall and some sports feeds :) plus where i'm at the more dishes the merrier.

first off thanks iceberg! you mentioned the symbol rate having to be there on the blind scan for it to show up. so if no feed is currently running,no pickup. thanks, yeah gabshire i am using a primestar for ku band. i started using it 5 days ago. i tried ku with my c band dish but could not lock in any signal qualityl at all. so i think my dish has holes to big for ku, but in the primestar i received g25 which is 205 or so fta channels but cant understand maybe just 5 or so of them, i picked up g3 but i think the horse races are all scrambled and strange i picked up t6 for an abc feed,but now i cant find t6 again! i have the dish aimed a little east of the middle which is g3 for me, and i keep picking up g25 again and those foreign channels. but today i will be home so i will go out and play with the dishes a bit. i need to realign my c band dish because i only get sats on one side or the other, i need to go a bit to the east with my mount i think because i have to higher the dish on the east.

but in the primestar i received g25 which is 205 or so fta channels but cant understand maybe just 5 or so of them, i picked up g3 but i think the horse races are all scrambled and strange
the only thing really on G3 KU is CCTV4 & 9 (the Chinese chanenls)..the horse racing channels are scrambled.
i picked up t6 for an abc feed,but now i cant find t6 again!
T6 has CBS news feed at 11710 V 14320 (freq, pol, symbol)...IA8 (T4, G28...the satellite at 89W) has ABC NEws Now and a news feed...maybe you were on IA8?
T6 has a fair amount of news feeds and a few in the clear channels (Doc Scott and a couple test cards are up 24/7)

i need to realign my c band dish because i only get sats on one side or the other, i need to go a bit to the east with my mount i think because i have to higher the dish on the east.
that sounds like the reason you can't get C-Band DVB real well. I learned that when I got my C-Band. At the time there were 3 analog feeds on G4 (World Harvest was the 3rd on channel 15...the other 2 are still there on 16 & 17) and I locked those no issues but could not get digital...then I repeaked the dish ever so slightly and digital came in :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)