Not happy with 1000.4 so far.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
i'm gonna have to play with my 1k4. Signals are not good as low as 18-24 on a couple of 61.5 TPs . If it gets worse I can just call 60, warranty on install.
How does it decide which dish to use. I've noticed the same channel use different sats.

i'm gonna have to play with my 1k4. Signals are not good as low as 18-24 on a couple of 61.5 TPs . If it gets worse I can just call 60, warranty on install.
How does it decide which dish to use. I've noticed the same channel use different sats.

yes. Different channels are bounced off the various sats. On occasion, channels are moved to other satellites

I have not heard of the 1000.5 before. How does it differ from the 1000.4? Larger dish reflector pan?
Info on the 1000.5 can be found in this thread. It is basically the D500+ reflector pan with the 1000.4 arm and LNB attached. I wonder if this would work with a SD105?

funny thing though, my 1000.2 looks bigger then my friends 1000.4 which seems more round then oval, must be an illusion.... at least from the ground.

dishcomm- Thanks for your step by step. It is pretty much what I did. I have a roof mount so the concrete is N/A. I will be adding the guy bars to the mast and I will verify it is solid and plumb before proceeding. I think my earlier report of observing the wobble while adjusting was causing me all my problems attempting to do the tweak.

Does anyone know about my question on the analog meter connected to port 1, with the Receiver set for 72 TP 21. I think the answer is the analog meter sees any signal through that port and the meter on the dish tuning page ( Menu 611 ) is where you have to tweak the individual birds. It's either that or use a high end meter which I don't have. If I did more experimenting, I would buy one but this is the first tweaking I have done in 2 years!

I thought I measured a SuperDish as being 24x36 but maybe that was the fiberglass one.
Mine is the Type 1 (metal) and measures 24" X 33.3". The Type II (fiberglass) is 21" X 36". I just may try the 1000.4 conversion.

Did you...

dishcomm- Thanks for your step by step. It is pretty much what I did. I have a roof mount so the concrete is N/A. I will be adding the guy bars to the mast and I will verify it is solid and plumb before proceeding. I think my earlier report of observing the wobble while adjusting was causing me all my problems attempting to do the tweak.

Does anyone know about my question on the analog meter connected to port 1, with the Receiver set for 72 TP 21. I think the answer is the analog meter sees any signal through that port and the meter on the dish tuning page ( Menu 611 ) is where you have to tweak the individual birds. It's either that or use a high end meter which I don't have. If I did more experimenting, I would buy one but this is the first tweaking I have done in 2 years!

Don, did you use the mast that came with the 1K4? It is significantly more heavy duty than a d500 mast. You also must really use the struts that came with the dish. The 1K4 is a heavy dish and winds will cause you all kinds of hassle. I put the struts on mine the other day and it is rock solid now.
I don't have a meter so don't use one. I highly recommend that you peak using a receiver like it says in the manual. Peak on tp 19 or 21 as it says to do w/72.7. Luckily my dish is mounted to my deck and I just open the window and my wife yells out the readings as I tweak ;).
Good luck, Gerry

Gerry- Actually I have my own mast which is a shorter pipe than the one that came with the 1k.4. I will be fabricating my own guy bars too since none came with the kit. The important thing is that the mast be vertically plumb and solid. Mine is plumb but has a bit of wobble when I push on it. Once the guy bars are attached, it should be solid. The mast that came with the 1k.4 is much more flimsy and thin than what I have up there. The OD of the pipe is the same so that is also not an issue.

Been busy the past two days so I should be able to get back on the project tomorrow. For two days the signal has been weak but steady. I lost signal on 61.5 TP 32 when it rained a little. I expected that because the signal in the clear was only 15.

Good deal!

Gerry- Actually I have my own mast which is a shorter pipe than the one that came with the 1k.4. I will be fabricating my own guy bars too since none came with the kit. The important thing is that the mast be vertically plumb and solid. Mine is plumb but has a bit of wobble when I push on it. Once the guy bars are attached, it should be solid. The mast that came with the 1k.4 is much more flimsy and thin than what I have up there. The OD of the pipe is the same so that is also not an issue.

Hope it works out for you once you have it solid.
Gerry

Got the guy bars up making the mast more like a tripod and it is now rock solid. I also made sure the plumb was dead on too.

After about 2 hours I still was having trouble finding the correct skew and azimuth and elevation with the analog tuning meter. So, I decided to give an idea I had a couple weeks ago a try. It worked! I used my cell phone with the sling player and tuned it in in about 30 minutes. I ended up with signals about 46-50 on all three birds. With the mast solid there doesn't seem to be any wavering either. I plan to do some more fine adjustments this weekend.

Also, Dave- I will try your settings just to see what I get. What's your azimuth with those tilt and skew numbers?

I ended up with 167, 73, 53.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)