Not happy with StarzHD quality

long_time_DNC said:
Can't...no line of sight. There's a huge hill to my east-north-east about half a mile away. I'd have to put a dish up a 200-ft (at least) pole to "see" over that hill to 61.5...

Bummer:down

I watched a movie last night on Starz hd and saw some improvement but it is still not quite right on fast moving panning shots. It still is ticking and jerking on these shots. Still I could watch the movie without a headache and it was a fast moving action movie.

I reported in another thread that Dish finally got the Cbs hd station in Houston right. It looks the same as the ota version and the Cbs Hd station 9483 From New York. NO difference in panning shots and live video no longer looks like film. Kudos to Dish engineers for getting this one right!

Now if they could apply what they learned from the mpeg 4 hd locals to the mpeg4 Starz hd station I would be estatic.

before anyone with 129 knocks themselves out trying to put up a 61.5 just to get better StarzHD...I have only 61.5, and I still find StarzHD almost unwatchable. I can't compare it to 129, since I don't have 129 in my setup, but I can say that what is on 61.5 is horrid enough. Everything I try to watch on this (or NFL-HD) has horrible motion problems.

long_time_DNC said:
I wonder how much of the problem (jerkiness) is Dish's and how much of it is Starz HD's?

It's not like Starz HD is a new channel. It's been on many cable systems for a long time. The problem is 100% on Dish's end.

I'm also getting Starz from 61.5 and can't compare it to 129 but there's significant motion problems for sure. E* has some fixin' to do.

Wonder why they can finally fix my local Cbs hd station in 1080i and in mpeg 4 but they can't do the same for Starzhd? Shouldn't the fix they employed on the locals work for the national movie channel also in mpeg4?

They did it . They fixed STarz hd. I got an email from the pq guys at Dish and they asked me specifically what I thought of the fix on Starz since I complimented them on the fix they did on the Houston CBS. IT looks GREAT! NO more jerky video on panning shots. I am estatic!:D :up

Complaining does work. Send all picture/audio complaints to : dishquality@echostar.com.

They care and will fix it , eventually. Good things come to those who wait.:hungry:

I was watching the brother's grimm... it's better (though PQ is still soft, probably starz issue) it seemed more smooth / fluid, there were a few scenes that were a tad jerky (not as bad as it was before) but that could be because it may be a SD upconvert, i'll have to wait for a movie that's known to be HD to compare.

Tonight is my first experience in seeing it too. Just skipping through channels and watched a few minutes of "The Waterboy." In about 7 minutes, I saw it block, pixelate, or have jerky motion at least 15 times.

On shots where the players were in a huddle and jumping up and down, the picture became a blurry image. Likewise when they panned the crowd.

It reminds me of 3-4 years ago when E*'s SD programming got very bad when they had satellite problems and had to overcompress for several months.

So I agree, it is terrible. It is much worse than what I had imagined when reading the earlier threads.

The ghosting has made it pretty much unwatchable for me since it's addition. I think they've tried to improve it a little, but they havent accomplished much IMO.

Really? I haven't seen those programs mentioned above, but I do subscribe to StarzHD and I quite like it. Perhaps they were having temporary problems???

I subscribed after they "fixed" the mpeg-4 encoders and, although it's HD-Lite, doesn't look to bad to me. I really enjoyed Hostage a many others without the problems mentioned above.

I did DVR Waterboy, so I'll have to check it out and see if I get the same results as Tom.

I've watched a lot of movies on StartzHD and I haven't seen any of the problems that you guys mention (brurry pic, ghosting, ect.). However, I notice that the picture looks softer than HBO-HD, ShowtimeHD or HDNet Movies. Probably due to the fact that StartzHD is being downrezzed by E* from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080.

I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with the OP. I'm getting Starz-HD from 61.5 and most movies go from disappointing to unwatchable. There is definitely a "smearing" effect on faces (especially around the eyes) together with a lack of detail in patches. It is worse on my 26" Samsung LCD than on my larger DLP but it is there.

The effect is less at certain times, mostly late at night, which indicates it might have something to do with bandwidth. Of course, I'm only reporting MY experience but the smearing is DEFINITELY there. It's almost as if the decompressor isn't fast enough to decode the MPEG-4 signal so that all of the picture stays in synch (I'm not technical, so this is just a layman's interpretation).

=NLK=

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)