Not real happy with new install (Internet related)

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Today I had Dish service installed to replace DTV. I have one hopper and 3 joey's. Prior to the to the installation I installed new Cisco powerline adapters and tested the ethernet connection on the one adjacent to the hopper location. The connection was fine and showed about 21mbps down. Today the technician was not able to get a connection test to work at that location via ethernet but did get it connected to same network via wireless. After another tech showed up and after they conferred they installed a Hopper Internet Connector in another room where the router is located and fed it back to the coax from there. Everything seems to work but I don't get why it had to be done that way as I now have about a 10' ethernet cable strung along the wall and two long coax cables also running along the baseboard.
I retested the powerline ethernet connection at the hopper location and it is still working fine so that leads me to ask a couple of questions.
1. Are there any known reasons why the Hopper wouldn't connect to the Internet via the powerline ethernet device? if no known issues could I move the HIC to that location and duplicate the setup by running the incoming coax to the HIC and then to the Hopper in addition to running the ethernet to the powerline adapter? seems like that should work.
2. If my scenario won't work can I just use the wireless connection that the hopper currently has and still get the right programming to the Joeys while doing away with the HIC box.
I would appreciate any help and would be happy to clarify anything I haven't explained clearly.
Thanks

does the powerline adapter work directly to the joeys?
the HIC has to be on a client line.
you may be able to use a tap at the hopper, but if the hopper doesn't like the adapter it won't help

I have not tried the powerline ethernet directly to the joey as of yet. Just don't understand why the hopper would have an issue.

off of the node, the hopper is considered the host, the joeys are the clients.
a tap looks like a splitter but can be used to create another client port to attach the hic to when installed behind the hopper

images

cables needed from dish and throughout house

NBCSN in SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)