Not Receiving Vertical Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Troubled

Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Hello Forum

I got a doozy I hope you all can help me with. :D

I have an approx 15 year old anolog C-band Star Trak 400 Receiver and Star Trak 7' dish. Needless to say we at long last decided to upgrade our receiver to the DSR 922. The specs of our dish are that it has a Reed Switch and a Dual C-Band LNBF. I am not sure why they refer to it as a dual C-Band LNBF as it has only one coax cable coming off of it.

Now at first we assumed that we had just a standard C-band LNB. Until we realized the problem and removed the cover to find that it was indeed a LNBF. The problem is that we are not receiving any of the Vertical Channels on any Satellites. And we only receive Horizontal Channels when we leave the DSS 922 receiver set to the LNB configuration. When we switch it to the LNBF configuration we do not receive signals for any channels.

We are quite inexperienced with these matters and appreciate any help this Forum can provide.

Wish I could help but really can't, I don't have much experiance with 4DTV. I know that that is what the dsr-922 is. I used to mess with the analog C-band stuff and have been doing Dish and Direct for years now and FTA, but haven't done a 4DTV system yet.

Maybe one of the mods can move this thread to the C-Band forum and somebody can help you.

Do you know if the reed switch is what changes polarity? Do you have the manual for the Star Trek receiver? It should show how to connect an LNBF to it. The DSR922 should connect the same way.

Troubled said:
Hello Forum

I have an approx 15 year old anolog C-band Star Trak 400 Receiver and Star Trak 7' dish. Needless to say we at long last decided to upgrade our receiver to the DSR 922. The specs of our dish are that it has a Reed Switch and a Dual C-Band LNBF. I am not sure why they refer to it as a dual C-Band LNBF as it has only one coax cable coming off of it.

Now at first we assumed that we had just a standard C-band LNB. Until we realized the problem and removed the cover to find that it was indeed a LNBF. The problem is that we are not receiving any of the Vertical Channels on any Satellites. And we only receive Horizontal Channels when we leave the DSS 922 receiver set to the LNB configuration. When we switch it to the LNBF configuration we do not receive signals for any channels.

We are quite inexperienced with these matters and appreciate any help this Forum can provide.

A good option would be to upgrade your system, grab a dual band feed (c/ku-band) this will fix the problem and also ad many channels for you than if you only had C-band.

You can find a good deal on a feedhorn with lnb's, on website and also if you have a local dealer, here is a dealer list maybe one can help you out with the upgrade:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=f5a709f099ed68211c66f968a828d34b

Trust me it is well worth having c/ku on the big dish :)

Wow lots of replies

As for the reed switch I don't think it changes polarity... its a part of the actuator arm. And it is a very simple connection... there are only 5 wires... the pulse and ground... and the M1 and M2 connections... as well as the coax cable that runs from the feed horn LNBF. So unless like it was said there is a problem with one of the wires I don't think the wiring is the problem. On our old receiver all the channels and satellites had to be completely programmed in from scratch. On the DSR 922 it somehow manually configures the vertical and horizontal configurations. I beleive our problem is a programming one. Needless to say the programming has me completely mind boggled... because when we have it set to an LNB configuration we get horizontal channels... but when we set it to the LNBF configuration that it should be at we don't receive anything. But I am going to go and inspect all the wires just incase as I did once have to splice them.

As for upgrading I think your right it is about that time. But I am in Canada... and will have to research ku band to see if we could even receive it... as I know virtually nothing about it. It is because I am in Canada that this whole thing is so complicated as there seems to be no Satellite guys here that know C-band at all.

Troubled said:
As for the reed switch I don't think it changes polarity... its a part of the actuator arm. And it is a very simple connection... there are only 5 wires... the pulse and ground... and the M1 and M2 connections... as well as the coax cable that runs from the feed horn LNBF. So unless like it was said there is a problem with one of the wires I don't think the wiring is the problem. On our old receiver all the channels and satellites had to be completely programmed in from scratch. On the DSR 922 it somehow manually configures the vertical and horizontal configurations. I beleive our problem is a programming one. Needless to say the programming has me completely mind boggled... because when we have it set to an LNB configuration we get horizontal channels... but when we set it to the LNBF configuration that it should be at we don't receive anything. But I am going to go and inspect all the wires just incase as I did once have to splice them.

As for upgrading I think your right it is about that time. But I am in Canada... and will have to research ku band to see if we could even receive it... as I know virtually nothing about it. It is because I am in Canada that this whole thing is so complicated as there seems to be no Satellite guys here that know C-band at all.

Yes the reed is for the arm.

I am in Canada also, for big dish stuff I use:
http://www.rpssat.com/

You can also check out Ku satellites:
http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/intro.php

Both of these company's are local for me in Montreal, both are very helpful, though rps is mostly big dish and ku sat is more fta.
Good luck!

Thanks

tdti1 said:
Yes the reed is for the arm.

I am in Canada also, for big dish stuff I use:
http://www.rpssat.com/

You can also check out Ku satellites:
http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/intro.php

Both of these company's are local for me in Montreal, both are very helpful, though rps is mostly big dish and ku sat is more fta.
Good luck!

Thanks that rpssat seems like a very good site for parts and I will give them a call later when I get back from shopping. :)

Troubled said:
Hello Forum

I have seen LNBF's go bad on one side before and shut down the entire LNBF.

BryanSR

Troubled said:
Hello Forum

I do not have a 4DTV receiver , but remembering what I have read ..........

If you do have a LNBF ( no little blue box to switch polarity ) , make a short cable with an " F " connector on one end & seperate the rires on the other end . Check the voltage & see if it changes from 13 to 18 volts , when you change channels of different polarity .

I have read you have to change the receiver menu from LNB to LNBF ?

C band frrd horns may be had economically off of EBay .

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
I do not have a 4DTV receiver , but remembering what I have read ..........

If you do have a LNBF ( no little blue box to switch polarity ) , make a short cable with an " F " connector on one end & seperate the rires on the other end . Check the voltage & see if it changes from 13 to 18 volts , when you change channels of different polarity .

I have read you have to change the receiver menu from LNB to LNBF ?

C band frrd horns may be had economically off of EBay .

Wyr

Now that is a great idea... I will definately have to try that!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts