Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to be but...Antenna help??

Jewelz821

Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Tyler,tx
Hi! We just bought a General Electric hd indoor antenna and I get cbs, nbc, and CW but I cannot pick up anything else. Like fox.....Is there anything I can do to help my signal? I. Just pluggedit up and searched channels. Do I need to do some sort of set up?

There is an over the air section that this thread will probably end up being moved to. There is a site called tvfool.com that will give you a report on the OTA stations based on your address. You can run the report there then post the results here for consultation on what your antenna should be able to pick up and what you might need antenna wise to get the most channels possible in your area.

running a simple tvfool for Tyler, TX (since you posted that as your location) here is what is available (I used 15 feet above ground)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=46aea1df3d9027

KTPN 48 (maps to 48) My Network
KETK 22 (maps to 56) NBC, Estrella TV
KFXK 31 (maps to 51) FOX
KLTV 7 (maps to 7) ABC
KCEB 51 (maps to 54) MeTV, MundoFox
KYTX 18 (maps to 19) CBS, CW

Looks like while stations are all around 20 miles away they are in different directions. Looks like MeTV (54) & FOX are in the same direction

ABC is on VHF whereas the rest are on UHF (VHF Is the rabbit ear portion..the UHF is the disc). What model of antenna is it?

Thanks! I'm actually a little further from Tyler in Cushing,Tx
?so I put my exact address in and got this....

any way an indoor antenna would work?

it doesnt show the link...I think you need 5 posts to post a link

Here is a city one
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=46ae322f7c5528

doesn't look as good as Tyler proper

CBS is the strongest. Thats why you get CBS & CW (CW is a subchannel on CBS)
ABC is on VHF Hi so the same info applies as before for ABC (KLTV)
NBC looks OK
Fox is pushing it. According to the tvfool I posted its in red which usually means an outdoor antenna

Is the indoor antenna you have amplified? (does it plug into an A/C outlet)? If not I suggest trying one of those

Yes it hooks up through AV....Where is the best place to purchase an outdoor antenna? Are there any ways to boost the indoor one we just got?

no worries. Thats what we're here for :)

Unless you want to go with an outdoor antenna (dont worry they're not as large and "gaudy" as they use to be) ;) I would recommend getting an amplified antenna. I know you can get them at WalMart, Target, Radio Shack. I think Frys is around there and they sell them too.

WalMart has a "indoor antenna booster" to use on an existing antenna but I tried one (for fun) and its useless

I saw the amplified ones you're talking about but I didn't know the difference. I believe it was about ten dollars more...I may have to dig the box out of the trash & go exchange it! ;)

Other bit of advice... it helps if your indoor antenna is close to a window (and in the direction of the station you want to get).
Like Iceberg mentioned, an outdoor antenna is prefered (even on a balcony), however if your only ooption is indoor then an amplified antenna is the way to go.

Cheers, K

Yes it hooks up through AV....Where is the best place to purchase an outdoor antenna? Are there any ways to boost the indoor one we just got?

Lowes/Home Depot usually have some outdoor antennas. If you have attic space you can test it there before having to go to the trouble of an outside mount. I used fishing line to hang mine in my attic. It depends on your roof composition. If you have a metal roof it probably will not work unless the stations are in a direction out a wood side. An inside antenna is far preferable if you can get it to work. Lightning, wind, birds, etc. can be avoided in the attic.

Amazon has a ton of antennas if you shop on there at all. A lot of good ones but a lot of junk ones to, probably do a little research before you buy one anywhere and/or ask on here what people think of one before you buy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)