Not sure which DVR to get

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I have a #510 DVR with top 60, locals, and HBO. I want a 2 tuner unit and money is tight for now. As an existing customer I can get the VIP-622 unit installed for $149 with a $50 rebate. I don't plan to spend another $20/mo. for HD programming anytime soon. I will have to sign up for another 18 mo. lease which is OK, but if I want to change out my DVR recorder I'll get whacked a large fee.

I could use some advice on weather I should go with the VIP-622, or the 625 / 522. I was also told that I would have to pay a $6/mo. fee just for having the HD DVR. I appreciate your help.:confused:

If you want any HD content or good upscaling of SD to HD via hardware, the 622 is your only option. You will have to pay the $6/month HD enabling fee if you don't get the $20/month HD package. If you have an HDTV you really should consider the 622 with or without the HD channel package (you will get HD locals if they have them for you).

If you don't have an HDTV get the 625/522. It is a very solid dual tuner DVR.

I will second the 625 as a solid tuner DVR. On all service calls I've been on, I can think of 2 times where the reciever itself was DOA.

I have pulled a few out of a box that were DOA, just no voltage what so ever out of the sat port, but once installed the latter.

Just don't stack anything on top of it so it has room to ventilate.

This goes for the 622 as well.

If you want any HD content or good upscaling of SD to HD via hardware, the 622 is your only option. You will have to pay the $6/month HD enabling fee if you don't get the $20/month HD package. If you have an HDTV you really should consider the 622 with or without the HD channel package (you will get HD locals if they have them for you).

Here's the deal. I looked at the $20 HD pkg. and even if it was free the only channels I watch are movie channels. I had an HD rec. from Dish about 2 yrs. ago and it sucked on non HD chs. I sent it back & got the non HD DVR I have now. I understand that all programming is going to HD soon. I will be buying a Sony XBR 60" LCD set in the next year.

The main reason for the confusion is do I or will I really need the VIP-622 DVR?
I don't like the idea of paying six dollars a month for not having high definition programming. I do like the fact that the 622 can hold up to 200 hours of non-high-definition programming.

I had a 10 foot C band with a digital receiver for almost 15 years. Two years ago a hurricane destroyed the dish. I had all the major movie channels with far more feeds than dish network offers and at a much lower annual price. I think that both dish and cable are greedy and nickel and dime their customers about everything. I also miss the additional movie channel feeds I got with the big dish.

So if I'm going to sign another 18 month lease agreement I want to make darn sure I'm getting the DVR that I'll be happy with. The only thing I don't like about my single tuner DVR is I find that on many evenings I would like to be recording two different things the same time. Had I known more about DVRs two years ago I would have leased a two tuner unit originally.

Any feedback would be welcome in addition to what you all have already told me. Thanks for your help.

At this time I have a five-year-old Mitsubishi 53 inch non-HD set. My next set will be a Sony XBR 60 inch LCD set. It's not that I really care about high-definition programming, but aren't all sets going to be high definition in the near future? I'm buying the Sony unit because I have always liked the Sony XBR line. I suppose getting locals in HD wouldn't be so bad. I would like to think that the picture quality would be better on two of them.

Thanks for your feedback. I will be making my decision before the end of May when the promotion is up. My two year lease is up in June and I was planning on renewing with dish and another lease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)