Note 7's catching Fire

The problem is that folks want to charge a LiON battery in 30 seconds. USB-C should never be used to charge the battery since 60-80 watts is being sent through that small cable to the battery. 12v @ 1500 mA should be the limit on chargers.

Yeah most of the devices having this issue were issued over seas.

Reported today, that the Replacement Note 7 caught fire. This time it caught fire in a man's pants pocket while he was on a Southwest airplane getting ready to take off. No major injury but the plane was grounded for awhile to do the investigation. Airlines are said to be forbidding Samsung Note 7's on board and in carry-on, regardless if it is their replacement or not. This is very bad for Samsung. I also heard that a report that a Samsung washing machine exploded this week too but not much detail so that might just be a false rumor. What's next, their TV's? I have a Samsung Blu Ray Player. Hope it doesn't catch fire.

I saw the Galaxy Note 7 story on The Verge last night. I wondered how Samsung could successfully produce the necessary replacement part and incorporate them into the "Safe" replacement phones in under a month when there are cars sitting in dealers' lots waiting on replacement parts for Air Bags, Door Springs, Door Latches, etc., months and years after the Recall Notices went out. I think Samsung assumed that since the problem seemed to be tied with the one battery source, they could simply switch to the other source without further research.
I also heard that a report that a Samsung washing machine exploded this week too but not much detail so that might just be a false rumor.
Unfortunately, it's no hoax: http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/news/samsung-cpsc-washing-machine-explosion-reports/
(I apologize for the link to an auto-play site! Grrr™) This one is just the news, no video: http://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/some-samsung-washers-may-pose-safety-risk/

Reactions: Tampa8 and navychop
I have one of the "exploding" washers. I registered it as such, and they said they'd get back to me.

We specifically bought it for bulky bedding and waterproof items. They have settings for those items.

I appreciate the first link especially, as it had photos and that video, showing this is no laughing matter. I'd hate for me or my wife to be in the laundry room when such occurred.

do a Google search for iPhone 6s Plus and you will see multiple fires.
But, it is Apple so by definition it is an anomaly.
Reminds me of Mercedes. Customers would say it had to be a freak event when their car puked out. But, it was not. We all bend our minds to justify our opinions.

They all have lithium batteries and any one of them can have an "event"
I try to remember to not "park" mine where it can burn the house down.

Reactions: Tampa8
I do think it is the best Smartphone, my Note 4 is still better than most any new smartphone. It runs just about any app out there, while once the best screen it still is one of the best screens there is. This is due to partly because it was so much ahead of other phones to begin with and partly because it has been upgraded all they way up to the present Marshmallow OS.
I don't know who to give props to but when the story first came out about the battery problem there was a columnist on one of the Android sites that doubted it was a battery problem based on the severity of the fires. There have been non OEM batteries in the past for various phones that overheated, maybe melted the phone case but not like this and not widespread like this. He said he felt is is a deeper problem.

My guess- no more Note 7. Samsung hurts financially and reputation wise.

And I have to consider accepting a refund on my exploding Samsung washer, if offered one. (After seeing pictures, I no longer put -exploding- in quotes.)

And I hope they figure out, and publish for the good of all, the cause. ESPECIALLY if it isn't the batteries' fault.

Wasn't there an advance in the last year or so on a non lithium battery that might become an alternative?

I liked my Note 7, however it was SLOW. The iPhone 7 is worlds faster.

I miss the screen, it was AMAZINGLY clear and bright, I miss the back button and I miss the Google Play store and the freedom is gave over the Apple Store.

The ONLY thing I missed from having an iPhone when I had the Note 7, was I missed my Apple Watch. I can't believe there is not an Android Watch that will let you make calls from the watch. (I know they have Android Watches that you have phone features in them, but they have their own separate phone number.)

I liked my Note 7, however it was SLOW. The iPhone 7 is worlds faster.

I miss the screen, it was AMAZINGLY clear and bright, I miss the back button and I miss the Google Play store and the freedom is gave over the Apple Store.

The ONLY thing I missed from having an iPhone when I had the Note 7, was I missed my Apple Watch. I can't believe there is not an Android Watch that will let you make calls from the watch. (I know they have Android Watches that you have phone features in them, but they have their own separate phone number.)
Maybe you should have Tried a Galaxy S7.

Reactions: Jimbo
Maybe this will serve as a lesson to not push the limits and sacrifice quality. I don't get the marketing behind 'this s the thinnest xxxxx yet'. Does anyone really care that something is .5 mm thinner, or .02 ounces lighter? The trend of non-removable batteries in electronics is also disturbing and is one of the many many reasons why I will never get one of these new-fangled ultra sleek pretty boy pansy laptops.

Reactions: Troch77
Ditto my Note 4 and I too was considering it. (they brought back the SD card and removable battery)
I had the note 4 and in my opinion it's the best out of the Note lineup. As you mentioned before, it was over spec'd at the time and can still preform very well today.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)