Note from DirecTV to Customers Regarding Versus

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you put it in it's simplest terms, the whole situation is counter-productive to both Comcast and Directv.

Versus will not get the viewership numbers it needs to increase it's advertising revenue and D* may lose some (not many) subs to Comcast.

The only thing that works for VS. is to maintain and increase it's viewership by negotiating successfully with D*. I predict, that after all the posturing, a deal will be made quickly (within the next 2 weeks).

This is why system operators (Comcast, Directv, etc) shouldn't own program providers (VS., Fox News, etc). The blatant conflict of interest aside, Comcast is hampering the full growth potential and profit potential of the cable channel to try to drive customers to Comcast. Not that it matters to me because I've never in the history of the channel ever watched anything on VS.

I couldn't get Comcast if I wanted it because my City has a contract with Charter,& we are the last to get product upgrades & new channels from Charter. Charter has Versus,but it is only in SD here(unlike the Atlanta Metro area that gets Versus in HD). I'll never see U-Verse or Fios where I live. If I wanted Versus HD,I'd either have to move to where Comcast is offered,or order E*. I don't think I have the LOS for E*,that's why I ordered D*. I'm not going to drop D* just because I can't watch Versus in HD.

"telling listeners that the "Leader in Sports Programming" dropped one sports channels."

COMCAST; you make me laugh...Let me edit their ad to be factual; "the Leader in Sports Programming dropped one of their sports channels."

I don't think many others will either. But any channel loss make people uneasy.

yup... besides there are other channels that shows just as much VS does. however not everything VS had will show elsewhere.

seems negative takes more impact than positives. i mean directv did their best to keep VS. who's the bad guy?

I dont see Directv getting VS back unless D* wants to put out what VS wants or comcast whoever it is... and D* has a problem with paying more for a channel.

I sent an email to Charter Cable asking if they could add Versus HD to our area(seeing that Atlanta already has it). They sent me a email back & said they would "consider" it but they'd have to negotiate for the rights to carry it(maybe I should have mentioned "Atlanta" to them),& could I chat or call them so that they could get more information,etc......
I'm sorry,but I'm still in the honeymoon period with D* & I just don't think they can screw up as bad as Charter. This will be interesting to see who I get Versus HD with first,D* or Charter.

very possible..BUt there's one diff. Versus is available only on Dish's highest package, meaning Versus is alrwady beiong paid a higher per sub rate than on D*.

Maybe it's just me, but, as a E* customer with the Top 200 package (or whatever the hell they're calling it right now), I've noticed Versus available to me for the last couple of weeks. Looking at the Dish website, I see that it's still listed as a 250 channel. Hmm.

Dish has Versus as a free preview for all of their customers until the end of November.

Ahh, shows how little I pay attention to such things. I wouldn't have even known there was a preview at all if not for the fact that the HD version of the channel hadn't been 'deleted' from my listings, as I did with the SD channel since I can't see it.

I'd have to guess that the timing of this free preview is no coincidence.

Dish will be the next one squeezed by Comcast, I hope they enjoy the advantage they hold for this moment in time.:rant:

Dish will be the next one squeezed by Comcast, I hope they enjoy the advantage they hold for this moment in time.:rant:
Doubtful. This isn't just about money, it's about channel placement.

Look at the statements from Vs and outside sources like the open letter from the NHL. This is a dispute about DirecTV wanting to move Vs into the $13 Sports Pack, not a direct issue of cost.

Makes perfect sense. Make comcast the bad boy, then bring the channel back but put it into the higher cost tier to drive subscription upsells, and still make comcast look like the bad guy.

Which comcast wont care about, since they'll get a chunk of the higher channel sub income.

Directv comes out looking like the good guy, making more money. Comcast comes out looking like a bit of the bad boy, but also making more money.

DirecTV May Carry Versus Without Deal As NHL Season Nears

DirecTV VP/PR Darris Gringeri said that the "possible effects of incurring the wrath of NHL fans might be enough for the satellite provider to put Versus back on its listings, even if a new agreement isn't reached" when the NHL season starts on Thursday, according to Adrian Dater of…

Paid subscription required for the rest, but this is enough to get the gist of it.

DirecTV VP/PR Darris Gringeri said that the "possible effects of incurring the wrath of NHL fans might be enough for the satellite provider to put Versus back on its listings, even if a new agreement isn't reached" when the NHL season starts on Thursday, according to Adrian Dater of…

Paid subscription required for the rest, but this is enough to get the gist of it.

How can they carry it if a deal isn't reached? Didn't Comcast make them remove it when the old deal expired?

Carry it while paying the full amount comcast wanted monthly, with no contract.

Too bad Comcast wasnt able to hit directv with any early termination fees, of course sucking it directly from directv's account.

Maybe it's just me, but, as a E* customer with the Top 200 package (or whatever the hell they're calling it right now), I've noticed Versus available to me for the last couple of weeks. Looking at the Dish website, I see that it's still listed as a 250 channel. Hmm.

It's a free preview...

And what happens to NBC Universal programming on D* if Comcrap does end up with ownership of NBC Universal????

Status
Please reply by conversation.