Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I was just contacted by a big software company concerned about software being sold here at SatelliteGuys.

Some of the software is no longer supported, and other software while it can be sold I am told the buyer must insure that the software is no longer in use on other machines.

Because we have no way of verifying this information, we are making a rule of no software sales.

THIS INCLUDES SALES OF DIGITAL COPIES OF MOVIES AND TV SHOWS.

Please remember this Classifieds Section is mainly for Satellite / Home Theater Products.

Thanks for your understanding.

Well we now know that someone from said company is a member of the board or atleast is a big lurker.

So why havent the two postings been pulled yet?

ill delete. they were stupid anyways

windows 98, office xp? how retarded

I was just contacted by a big software company concerned about software being sold here at SatelliteGuys.

Some of the software is no longer supported, and other software while it can be sold I am told the buyer must insure that the software is no longer in use on other machines.

Because we have no way of verifying this information, we are making a rule of no software sales.

Please remember this Classifieds Section is mainly for Satellite / Home Theater Products.

Thanks for your understanding.

Microsoft is watching us! OMG.
I guess they should start taking notes, there are some great ideas that they can take from Satelliteguys :D

Does "software" include games? If so, bummer... :(

They have no right to object to the ads, legally or otherwise. I'm surprised Scott is whimping out regarding this.

The EULA stipulates that the software can be legally installed on only one machine at a time. That is all. There is no agreement, and no law, that says you can't sell your original copy of that software to another user, as long as it is no longer installed on your machine.

SatGuys members are well within their legal rights to sell software that they are no longer using on their machines. It is not SatGuys responsibility, legal or otherwise, to insure that the advertisers have uninstalled the software or not.

Reactions: Ed McGuire
It is not SatGuys responsibility, legal or otherwise, to insure that the advertisers have uninstalled the software or not.

Absolutely. Next, E* and BEV will be asking the board to not permit ads for FTA receivers...

I am sorry... but this is kinda lame. For the most part (with the exclusion of OEM licenses) it is perfectly legal to sell software you are no longer using. Just as if you sold a book that you have already read, as long as you don't keep your own copy for later use.

The problem is that Scott would have to prove that the seller is indeed selling a legitimate copy of the software and not a home made copy such as what you find sloughed all over craigslist and ebay these days that some guy makes in his home. As annoying and lame as it is I'd rather Scott error on the side of caution than to try and take on a court case with a software giant that has pockets that could swallow the state of Connecticut.

The problem is that Scott would have to prove that the seller is indeed selling a legitimate copy of the software and not a home made copy such as what you find sloughed all over craigslist and ebay these days that some guy makes in his home. As annoying and lame as it is I'd rather Scott error on the side of caution than to try and take on a court case with a software giant that has pockets that could swallow the state of Connecticut.

But then again Craiglist and Ebay don't block the sales of software, nor are they required to prove that the software being sold on their site is ligit, at least as far as I know.

Ebay does go after bootleg software and I've helped them do it several times but you are allowed to sell new software on there but I've never seen used software on the site. With craigslist they go the route of telling you to avoid scams and you get the option to flag a post.

Ebay is the apple to Scotts orange and thusly is seen that way not just by the software company that wants him to keep their software off the classifieds but would also be seen that way in a court of law should they take it to that point.

Ebay is the apple to Scotts orange and thusly is seen that way not just by the software company that wants him to keep their software off the classifieds but would also be seen that way in a court of law should they take it to that point.

Tell you what... show me a case where a court of law held a forum operator legally culpable for a software transaction carried out by individuals posting on their site, and I'll agree.

If this was my own personal site, I would be FAR, FAR, FAR more concerned about my liability for the posting of copyrighted images in the "Official Hot Babes thread" over in the back room. Since the back room is a "paid" access area, the site is profiting from the posting of images that it does not own.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry van, I believe you are wrong. This site is for personal ads. None of the items being sold on this forum are being sold by private parties, not by the site. The site has no legal liability. As an law enforcement officer trained in internet legal liability, I know what I am talking about. Whoever told you this information is way out of line and WRONG.

Van, please show me the law or case law that says differently if you agree with this.

I think the reason is not legal but more or less good will. Software companies help out sites such as this a good amount be it with development software or advertising and selling software, counterfeit or not, could risk loss of advertising revenue or just create bad will with potential clients or advertisers. As a result while I can see the dispute I would have to agree with why software sales are not allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)