Notebook Computer Screen

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I have two opposing shaded areas on the bottom of the screen on each corner. In the attached photo the screen appears dark however it is actually quite bright. I darkened the photo so that the shaded areas are easier to see. Is this something to worry about or just normal. Other than replacing the LCD is there anything I can do?

Attachments

• 100_1513.JPG
    100_1513.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 169
Obtw I did take the decorative frame off thinking that the retaining frame maybe too tight and thus binding. I found it quite lose. I loosened the screws at the bottom a little more anyway however it didn't change anything. Again I want to emphasize that the screen is still very bright with plenty of adjustment room to go brighter however any brighter it would cause eye irritation.

Last edited:
In that case, I'd probably just keep using it and hope for the best.

I usually last no more than 3 years on a laptop; although I have never had screen problems, just the machine startng to suffer from wear-and-tear. Of course, I use it all night long, every night, on SatelliteGuys! :)

In that case, I'd probably just keep using it and hope for the best.

I usually last no more than 3 years on a laptop; although I have never had screen problems, just the machine startng to suffer from wear-and-tear. Of course, I use it all night long, every night, on SatelliteGuys! :)

I hope you last over three years Rock. If thats the case you are way over do!:D Yeah you are right though I use this thing a lot here as well.:)

I hope you last over three years Rock. If thats the case you are way over do!:D Yeah you are right though I use this thing a lot here as well.:)

The laptop I am on now is 2 years old. Its a Lenovo ThinkPad. I also have a Fujitsu Lifebook Tablet. Use that more for work. I still have my old Toshiba laptop, now about 5 years old -- my 10 year old has it now.

Wow! That makes me feel better about this thing. I know people that replace there laptops about every two years. Not on my wallet. Heck over the last two years I have spent a good bit updating this thing. Just put a 7200 rpm hd in it. I have heard that replacing these screens are almost cost preventive. It runs great for what it is. If I have to go that route I will put another screen in it up to about 300 bucks. I like xp and don't want to be forced into Vista just yet. It doesn't cause any problems reading the screen. Just aggravating. I know I am just too darn picky.

Last edited:
Well first update the video driver if there is one available and then check and see what driver the laptop is using for the monitor. Also after you have done all of that you might try adjusting the refresh rate of the monitor as well..

I thought I read a post here where someone related to magnets close to the lcd screen. The post is not here anymore or I read it somewhere else however I realize that a magnetic field will alter an electron beam on a crt but no effect on a lcd thus no longer a need for degaussing circuitry. I do have two cheap external speakers with little or no shielding close to the back of the screen on either side. Any comments on long time exposure? Am I correct in assuming that this would have no effect?:confused:

You can see the same temporary effect when you touch the screen with your finger. The screen may not bounce back from whatever was causing the pressure as it appears to have been more sustained than a "finger touch". I wouldn't worry about that or the age of your laptop. My Dell I'm typing on is 3 years old and I just purchased another 2 year on-site warranty for it. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMHO though, warranties are a mandatory thing with laptops especially if you cart them around a lot like I do.

Is it possible that when you close the laptop that pressure is being put on those corners? That is the "hinge side", and if it's tight there, then the corner bezel may be putting pressure on the screen and causing that.

The LCD display is made up of many layers with a number of them at the back for reflecting the light through the display. The display is lit up from a flourescent tube in the bottom (in this case) of the display. The flourescent tube can burn at the ends causing the brightness to be uneven in the bottom corners. Also, if the reflective layers become warped or creased the image will have dark and bright spots. This is more common in seeing spots in the center of the display due to the notebook being put in bags with books or other items pressing on the cover damaging the internal reflector. In your case it could be from the hinges as mentions by another member in another post or the tube burning at the ends. The tube is just like a small version of a standard flourescent tube. They blacken up at the ends as they burn out. The tubes can be purchased and replaced, but the job is very difficult and can cause more damage if not done properly. Most repair places will onlt change the complete LCD panel and not attempt to change the tube itself. The display can continue working for a long time before the flourescent tube will no longer light up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts