Notebook cooler for 622?

Good call, Have seen these on the market for some time but never thought of using it on something else. You get an (Atta Boy) for being an inovator.:D
Update: Just checked online 0 instock in my neck of the woods zip 16226. This always happens with a good deal.

Lots of people here have used the cooler for the 622 or any of the dish DVR's. When I had dish, I used the exact same setup, it worked pretty well. The drop in temps wasn't huge, but even a few degrees is helpful.

For the price you really can't go wrong.

At $10/ea, get two of them.... They're not made for 24/7 operation and will likely fail from overuse. I've had mine (similar, if not same as linked) for 6+ months and recently the fans or bearings were making noise. I shut it off for a week or two figuring it was close to failing and since turning it back on, it sounds fine so far.

I might get another one of these just to be safe.

At $10/ea, get two of them.... They're not made for 24/7 operation and will likely fail from overuse. I've had mine (similar, if not same as linked) for 6+ months and recently the fans or bearings were making noise. I shut it off for a week or two figuring it was close to failing and since turning it back on, it sounds fine so far.

I might get another one of these just to be safe.

Same here. I just unplugged mine on Saturday. I think I'll take it apart and see if there is any place to put a drop of oil.

I use one of these http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=6718

I have in the back on the left side to blow the hot exhaust air from the 622. It works great. Not my idea, I found this somewhere.......

Ken
Ooh - thanks for pointing that out. I use Thermaltake CPU coolers on my PCs and they have never failed. So, I just ordered one of those from an Amazon merchant (a little better delivered price than your link).

I'll report back on how it works...

I've tried a few things, each has had some minor impact except the last thing I tried which had a significant impact, which was installing an exhaust fan behind the 622 (and cutting out a hole of equal size or more lower in my cabinet to let cool air get sucked in).

Here's what I got:

http://www.hometheatercooling.com/

Nothing new here. The 622 heat "issue" has been discussed for more than a year in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186

FWIW - I removed the cover from the 622 to take some temp. measurements inside. The real heat generators are the Broadcom chips, especially the largest one (the decoder), the HDD, and the power supply. I measured (with a thermocouple) the top of that Broadcom chip to be around 160 deg. F with the cover on and the unit functioning "normally". With the cover off and a cheapie 3-fan laptop cooler blowing down into the guts, the temp. on that chip dropped to about 100 F. (See my post #163 in that thread above - on page 17.) I have been running my system that way for about a year now. The fans run 24/7 and have not yet given any sign of imminent failure, tho' with more than 8,000 hours on them at this point I don't expect them to last a whole lot longer. I have other plans for providing internal cooling at the BC chip, and externally on the left side of the unit sucking air out alongside the power supply - a project I never got to this winter and won't likely get to anytime soon. In the interim, the 622 continues to be glitch-free and those 3 fans keep it relatively cool...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)