Notice - Holistic Television

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually, RFD-TV recently lost its noncommercial status, making it ineligible to be carried as a PI channel. My guess is that E* & D* have enough rural customers that consider this an essential that it will be able to move into basic packages easily.

Info: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6397179.html?display=Breaking+News

As for HTVN 9417 - this is a network that never had a website, never had a consistent schedule of airing programs (i.e. on the hour or half hour), and (now) never amounted to anything. Not sure we're missing much (besides patented "Yogilates" videos) - but I look forward to seeing what other new PI channel may take its place.

Good Samaritan Network (9416) occasionally is used for training classes for the Good Samaritan employees. This is apparently all it will ever be used for. However, it is a permitted use - it does not violate any FCC rules. Seems to me that they could obtain some significant "underwriting" or "financial support" by offering up some airtime to other non-profits that don't control another PI channel - especially evening/overnight airtime, when it is unlikely they would ever need to air any training classes.
Also, I don't know if they are doing this for all of their non-slideshow programming, but at last check, some of the classes were being broadcast by DISH on a different virtual channel at 61.5 // 148; this virtual channel was only available to GSN's own pre-authorized receivers, and the normal GSN 9416 was "OFF AIR" during this time. Just like the shopping channels that share with virtual "BTV" channels.

This leaves DISH with two open PI slots, assuming RFD-TV doesn't appeal or doesn't win such an appeal.
My guess is that after leaving Sky Angel, 3ABN would be trying hard for a PI slot, since they did get SA* to approve such a move. I'd also guess they'd prefer the CONUS coverage of the slot opened up by RFD-TV's loss, rather than the limited wing satellite slot left by HTVN.

A real long shot: The FUNimation Channel. They already air a block of programming on ColoursTV, which would have to be dropped if they get a 24/7 channel. It is unclear whether they can afford such an undertaking, but worth noting that they do own U.S. rights for virtually all their anime. Therefore, since FUNimation profits directly from any DVD sales, it could be argued that the PI channel itself could be a promotional tool merely by airing the shows available on DVD, even though no "call to action" or "buy now" types of statements may be broadcast.

Last edited:
Well, your options are REAL limited with RFD TV. That channel, and most of the public-interest ones, are very, very narrow focused. How many non-farm households watch RFD ?? There was no great exodus with the loss of distants.... Those that left E* for D* because of the price increase a week or two ago, well, they just found out "the grass isn't always greener...".

I don't think near as many people quit because of a change or changes as people think. People b*tch about it and say they will, but most never do.

I have to disagree about RFD TV - when the news came out a couple of weeks ago that RFD TV was no longer to be considered a public interest channel, there were several people where I work who said they watched it. ( I admit being surprised) I watch it from time to time also. I think it has a certain appeal, because it has some programming that is both interesting and not available most anywhere else.

I also have to disagree about the distants. We don't know what would have happened. If someone lost their only way to see network progamming and had an alternative, I believe they would have left Dish. But NPS happened so quickly almost no one had to leave.

I agree 100% with your last two comments. It happens every year like clockwork, though it was tamer this year. Dish raises their prices, people say they are going to Direct, then Direct raises their prices. And if everyone who threatened to leave Dish did, Dish would be out of business. It doesn't happen, they are empty threats probably 95% of the time.

I'm not sure 3ABN could go to Dish. Wasn't Dish forced into some sort of agreement years ago to limit their ability to offer religious programming that might compete with Sky Angel?

Well, your options are REAL limited with RFD TV. That channel, and most of the public-interest ones, are very, very narrow focused. How many non-farm households watch RFD ?? There was no great exodus with the loss of distants.... Those that left E* for D* because of the price increase a week or two ago, well, they just found out "the grass isn't always greener...".

I don't think near as many people quit because of a change or changes as people think. People b*tch about it and say they will, but most never do.

I loved RFD tv (when I was on D*)and I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, they have some great old country music shows on, I also like the shows about trains and tractors. Also they have tractor pulls on, its more than just the farm report. I would rather have RFD than tvland, nick or TLC, now as far as dropping a sub (I don't sub D* or E* anymore) for RFD I can't say that I would...but then again there would be very few channels that I would drop my sub for...if I still subbed that is :D

RFD-TV is the only channel in the 9000 range that is in my favorites list. The channel appeals to me because it is simple. I like being able to watch tractors and trains with very little narrator distraction and no overdone fancy graphics.

I have friends that like it too, and none of us are farmers. So let's put to rest that erroneous idea about only farmers watching this channel.

To be honest, after this thread I am going to check out a few programs on it.

RFD would show Tracks Ahead, and the antique tractors show is pretty neat, too. I don't think I've ever watched the Holistic Television channel, though.

UCTV and UWTV are great educational channels. One of the Computer Science programs had one of the designers from the AltaVista project (pre-Google search engine) who described the algorithms used and the backing database used. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:
Big joe on RFD TV

What! If they took away RFD-TV then there would be no more Big Joes Polka Show. Now that would be a travesty!!!!!!! :D ;)

Big Joe is awesome that would really suck if we lost rfd tv, Rfd tv also shows the local tractor pulls from the local fair in sandwich, IL. I know 2 customers that paid $199 a couple of years ago to D* to have a 3 lnb dish installed so they could get rfd tv when it moved to 119 and they did not even live on the farm!!!

I feel a rumor coming on... ;)

Well, a "speculation." Maybe RFD losing it's PI status, can't pay E* enough to carry it anymore, and E* isn't interested in paying RFD for carriage. Possible result?

RFD OnDemand

Possible? Why not- fleshes out the catalog for OnDemand, cost E* little, provides an income stream to both. Or maybe it could be a "free" item in OnDemand. Just set your DVR to download a few of their programs and polka away!

Any thoughts on this? Maybe this is the future of Holistic TV and other minor channels.