Nov 2012 marketshare

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
As of November, Android and iOS continue to dominate the smartphone market.

Windows actually lost market share in the quarter despite launch of Win Phone 8. One wonders if stockholders will demand the ouster of Ballmer given the inability to grab any traction in the mobile space.

http://phandroid.com/?p=114579

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

It makes you wonder why Apple does not release multiple models, they do very well with just one phone (and the last year's model). If they had 3 sizes they could probably make a lot more sales.

Bingo, one of the reasons I wouldn't consider an Iphone is the screen is just to small for my 50 year old eyes.

John

I prefer iOS, but this weekend I did an upgrade to a galaxy note 2, for the simple fact of screen size.

I will reconsider apple with the next upgrade if they have a 5"+ screen.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It makes you wonder why Apple does not release multiple models, they do very well with just one phone (and the last year's model). If they had 3 sizes they could probably make a lot more sales.

I get both sides of this one. I'm sure you do too.

The advantage to a low number of SKUs is that you can streamline manufacturing. You gain some economies and simplicity lowers risk of error. Apple is also vertically integrating, ie it is for all intents and purposes a "one stop shop". Obviously manufacturing/partners/etc but from top to bottom it's their product. Manageability is the issue from that perspective.

On the Android side, you have Google with the OS, and the manufacturers build as they (and the carriers) see fit. For the most part, Google doesn't dabble in the hardware. The Nexus products with their limited portfolio are the exception.

A "cheap" iPhone would certainly make it an interesting market Worldwide. Subsidies are largely a USA thing, most pay full price but have freedom to change carriers at the drop of a hat. But cheap would have to be comparable to budget Android sets, and I don't know if Apple wants the hit to their margins to play at that level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)