Now DVR 522 Needs

JFS7931

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
A folder option to group similar programs together like TIVO has. It is getting to be a lot scrolling through the DVR events guide.

I have 2 things on my wish list.

1) a batch play mode. When I want to archive 4 one hour episodes to DVD or VHS, I'd like to be able to select all four, hit play, then have them play one after the other, so I can archive them without having to interveen between each episode.

2) Batch delete mode. When my capacity gets down to a few hours, and there's several things I know I won't have time to watch or archive, it takes a while to select recordings and delete them individually. If we could select a group of events, and then delete them in a batch, there would be less time that I have to interact.

Steve Costa

SteveC said:
1) a batch play mode. When I want to archive 4 one hour episodes to DVD or VHS, I'd like to be able to select all four, hit play, then have them play one after the other, so I can archive them without having to interveen between each episode.
Excellent example! This was also brought up a while back by someone who wanted to just queue up a bunch of playbacks for his/her children on their TV to keep them occupied for a while, non-interactively. (Insert "lazy parenting" remark here.) :) But this indeed would be useful to many people in other situations.

SteveC said:
2) Batch delete mode. When my capacity gets down to a few hours, and there's several things I know I won't have time to watch or archive, it takes a while to select recordings and delete them individually. If we could select a group of events, and then delete them in a batch, there would be less time that I have to interact.
Actually you can do this. At least 2.08 and below, I haven't checked with 2.32. I forget the exact steps, but play around in the various screens and you should get to one that lets you put a check mark to the left of whatever events you wish to delete.

SteveC said:
I have 2 things on my wish list.

2) Batch delete mode. If we could select a group of events, and then delete them in a batch, there would be less time that I have to interact.

Steve Costa

Already done!

DVR - EDIT

Check all the ones you want to delete.

If they are all the same show title you can SORT by ALPHA before going into EDIT, that way they are grouped together.

Once you get to the ones you want to get rid of, just keep hitting SELECT and it will select that show and go to the next one automatically.

DELETE

Then when you are done, you can SORT by DVR DATE to get back to the normal order.

I think there's a "Delete All" button too--I do remember just selecting a bunch and hitting one button and being done with it. In fact, you'll notice it always says "DVR Events are being deleted..." even when you just delete one. Not earthshaking or anything, just a hint that it has that mode of operation somewhere inside. :)

Yeah the batch delete stuff using "Edit" is still there in 2.32. Works ok but the actual deleteing is slow if you are deleting a lot. (like 30 secs sometimes).

What this unit really needs is a feature that ReplayTV had (not sure if Tivo had it since I have never used Tivo). "Keep X number of episodes." I loved this. I would set it to only keep two eps of the Daily show and the cartoons for my little one. I always want to have just a couple of episodes on hand and I get sick of constantly deleting these shows piling up.

Mark_AR said:
Already done!

DVR - EDIT

Check all the ones you want to delete.

Thanks - That's Cool! I guess you have to know where to look!

I still Want Batch play.

Steve

mjrusso45 said:
Yeah the batch delete stuff using "Edit" is still there in 2.32. Works ok but the actual deleteing is slow if you are deleting a lot. (like 30 secs sometimes).

What this unit really needs is a feature that ReplayTV had (not sure if Tivo had it since I have never used Tivo). "Keep X number of episodes." I loved this. I would set it to only keep two eps of the Daily show and the cartoons for my little one. I always want to have just a couple of episodes on hand and I get sick of constantly deleting these shows piling up.

Deleting is surprisingly slow. It seems the larger the file, the longer it takes to delete.

Also, Tivo has the same feature to store a number of episodes for each show. I would hope that this is a future feature of the 522.

wish list

I wish, we should be able to edit the name of the program in the DVR list. It may be not a problem with normal channels, but with international channels, instead of movie name it only shows as 'Movie' in the guide. So basically when I program to record the movies on a daily basis, I get a bunch of events recorded with every one titled 'Movie'. I wish we could able to edit the name of event in the DVR list similar to renaming the file in a computer file system. If there is a way to do this, please let me know. Thanks.

I would like to have the option of recording All Episodes, New Episodes and Once when setting up a Dish Pass.

I don't know if this is a new feature or not but I set a timer to record a basketball game the other day and noticed that it automatically padded the end time to 60 min. Never seen it do that before.

Batch Play - 522

I second the suggestion for batch play.

You all must have run outta space like I did in the first week or two and decided to go either get a load of VHS tapes or a new DVD recorder and start recording events off the 522.

Set up 4 30-minute shows and hit the VCR record button and walk away.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts