Now here is a read...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So what kinda vibes did you get from them about they are going to do?

They appeared to be completely unfamiliar with the news.

Truthfully, I don't know if execs at Dish really understand all that is going on, given all the turbulence there; seemingly endless lists of litigation, carriage refusals, overly aggressive contract negotiations, etc...

I directed the exec to the source, SkyReport.com. Upon reading the article, she was basically speechless.

They appeared to be completely unfamiliar with the news.

Truthfully, I don't know if execs at Dish really understand all that is going on, given all the turbulence there; seemingly endless lists of litigation, carriage refusals, overly aggressive contract negotiations, etc...

I directed the exec to the source, SkyReport.com. Upon reading the article, she was basically speechless.

WOW, something else. Thanks for sharing.

See this is where the quote "different strokes for different folks" comes in. You would rather watch Law and Order and I would rather watch Zatoichi... even if it's the 10th time I've seen it. :>

I was just using that as an example of mainstream viewing habbits. The main point is still that Voom will have to boost their volume of content to remain competitive. Voom started out as a source of HD content, when it could not be found anywhere else. The days of Voom and HDNet being the only HD content providers are gone. There are people who love Rave. There are people who love Rush. There are people who love Monster. There are people who love KungFu. I am not trying to say that any of the Voom channels are worthless. However, getting a large number of people to pay $10 extra per month to see the same two movies repeated 6 times a day will be more and more difficult as more channels and more content is available in HD.

Don't some channels show the same programs in the daytime and in the evening, like TNT L&O, USA reruns of Monk, etc.

So why couldn't Voom combine some of their 2 channels into 1 channel and do the same thing, where they are now showing a program 2 or 3 or 4 times a day ?

That would supply the same exact content, but reduce the number of channels.

Then the savings in channels could be used by Dish for more "sometimes HD" channels.

Don't some channels show the same programs in the daytime and in the evening, like TNT L&O, USA reruns of Monk, etc.

So why couldn't Voom combine some of their 2 channels into 1 channel and do the same thing, where they are now showing a program 2 or 3 or 4 times a day ?

That would supply the same exact content, but reduce the number of channels.

Then the savings in channels could be used by Dish for more "sometimes HD" channels.
The same question could be asked of many non-Voom channels.

Why do you insist on combining Voom channels?

I consider Voom's movie channel rotations of only 2 alternating films per/day as adequate and smart as it assures me the opportunity to record/watch sometime throughout the day. It also tends to spread the exposure of films out.

I guess one of the ultimate questions; just how much TV to we really want to watch per/day — with the multitude of channels we have available?

I'll agree that Voom isn't refreshed as often as I'd like, yet always enjoy its mix with other channels (HBO, Discovery, etc.). But in reality, Voom is quite a small operation, in comparison to the likes of HBO, Discovery Networks, etc.). The real key to Voom's benefits are in its 'niche' programming / channels. I watch all the Voom channels on a fairly regular basis w/the exception of HD News, Family, Animation, and Monsters (sorry guys, not my cup of tea! How about SciFi movie channel or a mix?).

I depend heavily on my DVR to schedule programs / movies in advance.

I watch what I want, when I want.

It's just you :)

There have been several instances where I'd catch something on GamePlay, my reaction would be "wow, I gotta get that game" - I've never, ever, had that reaction to a game demo in SD.

Plus the fact that I'm an "old" guy, at least the twenty-somethings in my office think I am, so in some cases it's nice being able to see what a real gamer's experience is like, vs. my gameplay which most closely resembles that of someone wearing a non-bullet-proof-vest that is instead highly magnetized and has big glowing bullseyes on it so as to quickly attract as many bullets as possible.
I will agree...and I am an old guy too. GamePlay was outstanding when they had new material, but the repeats were excessive. How many times someone watch a repeat of a tournament recorded back in 2005? My only other beef is that VOOM missed the boat by not inviting VOOM CUSTOMERS to participate in life or recorded broadcasts.

SIRIUS used to have two of the best specific genre/music style stations ever in Swing Street and The Vacation Channel. Then they consolidated and told us "Swing Street listeners can hear swing music on the Sinatra Channel" and "Vacation listeners can hear their music on Margaritaville."
So true. I loved Swing Street, and Hate the Sinatra channel. I sent Sirius an email right after the changed happened, but obviously a lotta good that did. I keep hoping that if XM merges that I'll be able to add XM's Swing channel ala carte.

Can't anyone ever see the middle ground?

First of all, the news channel is a NEWS CHANNEL. The whole point is that you can turn it on at any time and see a basic newscast. While the QUALITY of the newscast should be improved, it's still going to be on a loop. In fact, since Headline News seems to have completely forgotten it's mission and simply become "CNN2", I really appreciate having at least ONE place I can turn for news at any hour, no matter how poor the quality is. Consolidating the news channel is an absurd idea.

On the other hand, the people who think that NOTHING should be consolidated are just selfish and spoiled. In the age of DVRs (and limited HD bandwidth), the idea of these ultra niche channels are a little odd. The only reason you feel entitled to them is because Voom was silly enough to give them to you.

Look at a channel like TLC. They run a bunch of shows like American Chopper and Miami Ink. But they also run all those home improvement shows. The people who only like the home improvement shows are somehow able to GET THROUGH LIFE if they turn TLC on and there's a motorcycle show on. They know they can turn it on AT A DIFFERENT TIME and see the shows they like. I see nothing wrong with condensing Voom down by up to 50%.

BUT, the people who say "They should just condense it to 3 or 4 channels" are unrealistic too. While I don't believe everything needs to be so ultra-niche, there does need to be SOME kind of focus.

People focusing on how many movies a day are on, or how often the programming blocks repeat...I just worry about how much TV you're watching. There is no way I could ever come close to watching all the Voom programming. 2 horror movies a day should be fine for anyone. The problem is when it's two lousy horror movies, and the same 2 that were on 2 days ago, and 2 days before that, and last Saturday. I have no problem with the 2 movie format, as long as the quality is good and the variety keeps coming.

I realize this is just my opinion vs everyone elses, but seriously, why does everyone go to extremes? Why is it all or nothing, black or white, ect. It's just TV, but on a bigger scale, it's what's wrong with this country. Everyone wants it their way, and screw everyone else.

If Voom can get their act together, I'd love to see them go to the full 21 channels we were supposed to have. If they continue the path they were on up until very recently, I'd rather see them contract, or shrivel up completely.

I'll consider combining Voom channels when all you Voom haters give an equal quantity of your repeating niche channels to be combined.

If combining channels is a good idea, LEAD the way.

I'd like to see more Voom channels not less. Best thing that E* has going for it. While Voom could be spending more $ on programming they are at least commercial free and uncut/hd. Why complain about that. Compare SciFI/TBS/Tnt/ they are a waste at this point. They were added maybe a year or two too soon. I'm paying for HD so it should be HD.

I'll consider combining Voom channels when all you Voom haters give an equal quantity of your repeating niche channels to be combined.

Gladly. However, other channels aren't in the same position to be able to do this as easily as Voom, nor are they fighting for their existence.

I personally was a big fan of the concept of Discovery HD Theatre, Universal HD, Scripps HD, Turner HD, ect. Originally, Food and HGTV were supposed to be a single, all HD channel with material from ALL the Scripps channels. Then, a month or 2 before launch, they were split into two all HD channels. Now they've been watered down to simulcast stretch-o-vision channels, which seem to rarely have any HD.

I would love to see 21 or more reasonably well programmed Voom channels. I just don't believe they can do it.

The "All HD" pack has changed the dynamics of things. A few months ago, I was angry every time I saw another stretch-o-vision simulacst channels added, as were most of us. Now people see them as being a step closer to being able to save some money.

I don't see myself getting to the point of dropping SD anytime soon, so I'd rather see good, all-HD channels. If Voom can do that...awesome. But at this point, they haven't proved that they are capable of handling what they already have.

Look at it this way. IF (and that's a big if) Dish is trying to force them to reduce their channel count by threatening to kill it, wouldn't you rather have 10 Voom channels than zero? I would. I LIKE Voom. I just wish they would give me a reason to watch it again.

I looked at the program guide and noticed that Monsters is doing a better job right now. They have 6 movies scheduled twice a day, which I think is somewhat reasonable. Film and KungFu still have two movies repeated 6 times every day.

I don't pay a lot of attention to most of the channels available. I may sound argumentative, but sincerely am not trying to be, but what other HD channels, or even SD niche channels have this level of repeating the same programming? I don't recall seeing any in the program guide that show the same program six times a day.

I actually think voom is hurting dish more than what any of you realize. Voom has been showing nothing but repeats for a while now. They obviously haven't been putting money twards programming as their library shows it. Now if they were to get rid of them, dish has the space to add 12 additional HD channels that gives them the room to compete with D* and possibly gain the HD leader status back until D* fires back. Who wants to watch repeats? Voom maybe able to still market monsters HD, and sell its rave programming to MHD, which they do already. Now, dish could potentally settle down the Voom crowd by adding Chiller HD. I think we all agree that monsters HD is the only channel on Voom that is really worth while.

I would hate to see Monsters HD go, and also Film Fest. They have been showing some Hollyood classics that are not shown anywhere else, There's No Business Like Show Business, Exodus, Man of La Mancha, ect. These are all good Hollywood movies and none are shown on other HD channels. The rest I really don't care, Kung Fu is awful, and the video game one could easily be replaced by a something else, maybe MGM-HD.

I was just using that as an example of mainstream viewing habbits. The main point is still that Voom will have to boost their volume of content to remain competitive. Voom started out as a source of HD content, when it could not be found anywhere else. The days of Voom and HDNet being the only HD content providers are gone. There are people who love Rave. There are people who love Rush. There are people who love Monster. There are people who love KungFu. I am not trying to say that any of the Voom channels are worthless. However, getting a large number of people to pay $10 extra per month to see the same two movies repeated 6 times a day will be more and more difficult as more channels and more content is available in HD.
Ronjohn - was just kidding!;) I agree with your assessment of the Voom situation. I also would like to have Voom not repeat as much and have more content.

I would hate to see Monsters HD go, and also Film Fest. They have been showing some Hollyood classics that are not shown anywhere else, There's No Business Like Show Business, Exodus, Man of La Mancha, ect. These are all good Hollywood movies and none are shown on other HD channels. The rest I really don't care, Kung Fu is awful, and the video game one could easily be replaced by a something else, maybe MGM-HD.

Kung Fu has some good stuff on occasion (the full cut of Shaolin Soccer, Tokyo Drifter), so I don't think it's fair to discount it. I never watch the video game channel, but some people seem to like it.

As others have pointed out, HD-News doesn't fill the responsibilities of a full news network, so the fact that it's HD doesn't really make it appealing. I'd rather watch a fully-staffed news channel in SD. So that's the one we should trade out for MGM-HD.

Are the channels really full, though? We always hear that they're full, but then also that there's plenty of room for more channels. What's the deal?

On Monster, don't mind movies repeating, but a bigger selection would be better. I really like some of the Rave concerts. World WAS good but from the looks of it on a fast scan.. not so good. But as far a I'am concerned, other than the DVR, it is E* only edge. All the variety it adds is helpful.

I think that Voom should consolidate down to about 5 channels or go away. They haven't a landed any cable deals nor D* and their time has passed.

They had value when there weren't even 15 HD channels out there to be found. But now that there are, Voom has out lived its usefulness. Time to clear it out and load up that shelf with some fresh merchandise.

I still don't understand why Voom didn't go after all of those canceled Dramas and Comedies that have died off from Network TV. HDNet does this, but only to a minor extent. Now that its 2008 there must be dozens upon dozens of axed Sitcoms out there to be grabbed up cheap, especially those that never made it to a full season.

Yeah, I said it. I said it about a week ago. Consolidate Voom to 5 channels. Oh yea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)