Now here is a read...

hall, you misread the statement...
What did I mis-read ? The person I responded to suggested that VOOM can't survive without Dish's carriage. VOOM admits that that is the case. They're saying as long as they remain under contract with Dish and the current agreement, they will survive. They have NO incentive to shop their channels elsewhere.

Are there any companies not currently sueing Echostar? I get the feeling that Ethics is not an annual training requirement at Dish Network. I would not do business with EchoStar without demanding cash up front and and having them waive all litigation rights.
Who's wrong here ? If you'd read the document, you'd see that VOOM is. The agreement was that VOOM would spend $100 million on programming (?) and in return, Dish would pay them the agreed amounts. Dish audited VOOM and found they had NOT spent the agreed amount. VOOM didn't dispute it either !

So it's okay for VOOM to break the terms of the deal ? Dish is the bad buy, of course....

Who's wrong here ? If you'd read the document, you'd see that VOOM is. The agreement was that VOOM would spend $100 million on programming (?) and in return, Dish would pay them the agreed amounts. Dish audited VOOM and found they had NOT spent the agreed amount. VOOM didn't dispute it either !

So it's okay for VOOM to break the terms of the deal ? Dish is the bad buy, of course....

I agree. Im a contractor and we always have to uphold the end of our deal or face the consequences. If you're a good contractor, sometimes the customer will let you slide if there is a hiccup. Im sure if Voom was putting out quality work, Dish may not care or it could be all capacity related and Dish wanting to dump them.

*) If Dish needs the space and Vooms not holding up their end, thats a contractual violation and gives Dish an out.

*) Voom has to know by now they are the bottom barrel in HD channels so they should have NOT allowed it to get here.

Oh well.

hall, you misread the statement...If Dish Network drops VOOM, then VOOM will no longer be a self-sustaining business.

Here's the problem I have. There's this contract. One party has notified the other they are cancelling the contract. Without a contract, how are they actually carrying the channels in question now?

The answer is that Dish Network knows they have VOOM over a barrel. And Dish Network is basically trying to dictate the terms of what a new contract would look like.

So is Dish Network trying to put VOOM out of business, or trying to renegotiate programming differently than the 15 HD channels they still broadcast?

Dish dimply wanted to retier the voom channels and call it even.. VOOM refused, so dish followed there only other course....IF voom won't let them retier, then they will remove the programming..Voom sued, so the channels remain untill the court case has been heard...
VOOM, if they really want to keep afloat, should simply say, fine, retier them and move on... they would obviously lose some money, since most peoiple would prolly not sub to them, but they would still have more coming in than NOTHING...

Should the courts trust Dish's audit? There's a reason everyone and their grandmother sues Dishnet :p

Should the courts trust Dish's audit? There's a reason everyone and their grandmother sues Dishnet :p

In the complaint response, Voom admits it did not spend $100M on programing by stating their overhead $$ counts toward the $100M. In other words, if VOOM spends $100M on salaries, electric bills, etc, they claim their obligation is complete (even though that would leave $0 for content).

I for one have all Voom channels blocked as the worst TV being broadcast. If I want ed to watch Discovery re-runs I would go there. I do not watch MTV or other music channels as they really suck. MGM HD is mostly really old re-runs but thy change them all the time.

GOODBYE TO VOOM..................................

Once upon a time, ESPN didn't exist. Once upon a time Starz didn't exist. Once upon a time, Speed didn't exist, Once upon a time, SciFi didn't exist. One upon a time, FX didnt exist. And, once upon a time, Voom didn't exist.

The Voom channels, in their current form, are in their infancy, and struggling for their lives, like many of the above channels probably were...once upon a time.

I'm a big fan of what Voom attempts to do. I wish they could provide even more new content, but I can't even watch/catch-up with what they currently offer.

The mindless mainstream fluff on TNT, USA, is of little interest to me, and for people to be excited about the possibility of the demise of Voom, so we can get more of these mindless fluff channels like MTV HD, and Bravo HD, just makes me plain sad. I don't wish for the demise of your USA HD channel so that I could get Voom's Guy TV channel back as the 16th Voom channel, so it would be great if didn't wish for the demise of what you don't happen to watch.

Voom is the single biggest reason I went with E* over D*, and they are the single biggest reason I remain with E* (my 622s come in a very close 2nd place).

Who owns the satellite and transponders that voom is on?

When Voom DBS service went belly up did E* buy the satellite or did they just sign an agreement for the channels and programming?

What I'm getting at is if E* doesn't own the satellite and transponders they wouldnt be able to use them for different programming.

The dispute is that Dish wants to be able to Tier the Voom channels. Dish has already Tiered the the Voom Channels by putting it into the HD Ultimate Package only. The Ultimate Package is probably currently their most popular HD package, but there is no garuntee it will stay that way, which is what the document says the contract with Voom requires.

My guess would be that Dish and Voom have settled this already or Voom would be counter sueing Dish for breach of contract.

I applaud E* for taking this action. Desperate times with the AMC 14 failure. Get rid of programming that a select few care about and appeal to the masses. Find an out if you can.
Call me elitist if you want. Mass entertainment doesn't appeal to me. VOOM has an entertainment value for me that can't be found anywhere else. You could give me ten SciFi-HD and twenty Spike-HD channels, and that wouldn't make up for the loss of Gallery, Monsters, FilmFest, World Cinema, Treasure and Rush.

I find it particularly ironic that all the VOOM bashers have come out again with their old battle cry of "repeats", while VOOM is in the midst of it's greatest rollout of new programming in my memory. Granted, this is probably Rainbow's tactic in response to Dish's claim of a lack of spending on new programming, but it's evidence that the pressure that Dish has put on them is working, and working to our advantage as VOOM subs.

Options TWO
============
Voom files bankruptcy. DirecTV buys it at a fraction of the price and then combines the channels into 4, turns it into a movie package at $3.99 a month and sells it back to cable and dishnetwork as a new movie service.

Not going to happen. The VOOM channels are part of Rainbow Media which is a division of Cablevision and owns many other channels. They will not file for bankruptcy.

1 of 3 things will happen. They will settle their differences and VOOM will remain as is. They will come to a new agreement and reduce the number of channels. They will part ways and the VOOM channels will go away, even from Cablevision.

No, we don't all agree.
+1 !!! I enjoy MonstersHD, but I also watch Equator, FilmFest, Rush, and yes, even Ultra. The PQ is good (not excellent) most of the time, the audio is excellent especially on Rave, and most importantly to me, it's all COMMERCIAL FREE !!!

I don't mind the repetition because even with that there is far more content than I have time to watch on the voom channels. It's a rare evening indeed when everything on voom is repeat to me !!

Take away my voom and that's the last straw as far as I'm concerned with Dish. Time to pull the plug on all the equipment and move on to the competition....

First off, let me state I love the PQ of Voom, I particularly think Monster HD would have been great if they had spent their money the way should on programming and closed captioning. Because of their lack of closed captioning, I have pretty much quit watching them. I sent more emails than I can count to Rainbow Media asking when, if, and why they didn't CC and never received a reply in any form (not even acknowledment of the email). This to me shows a total lack of interest in the viewer and now it seems that they really have a total lack of interest in doing anything other than sitting back and letting DISH pay all of their bills while they do nothing to earn it.

Who owns the satellite and transponders that voom is on?

When Voom DBS service went belly up did E* buy the satellite or did they just sign an agreement for the channels and programming?

What I'm getting at is if E* doesn't own the satellite and transponders they wouldnt be able to use them for different programming.

E* bought the VOOM satellite and got an equity stake in the channels in exchange for Rainbow promising to spend the $100 million to keep up the programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)