Now I can watch those HD feeds for real....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
FINALLY upgraded the TV in the main room. Had a 32" TV and sure it was nice but wanted to view HD as it really should be

So today after a long time looking I bought a HDTV :)

42" Plasma HDTV with a s**tload of connectors on the back :D Heckuva deal and no interest for 18 months was the icing...so now I can spread out the payments.

Let the fun begin :D (actually the fun begins as I have to dismantle the current setup of 3 FTA boxes, a StarChoice box, 3 DVD recorders/hard drives, 2 VCR's (copying tapes to DVD), the TV and move the entertainment center to put the new one up :)

42" Plasma HDTV with a s**tload of connectors on the back
Holy cow Iceberg.

You hit the jackpot.

I love my 32" HDTV, and I know you will love yours.

I know what you are saying about taking the old setup apart, and re-connecting. That is a bear, but now you can really enjoy watching HDTV feeds. :D

Congrats. Not sure with the plasma, but with my LCD I saw a difference in quality for SD channels and espeically FTA ku band channels from a 27" tube TV to a 27" LCD. I think the fixed pixel TV brings out the compression flaws in dish (alot more).

Only went with an LCD when my tube died and looked for something that would go into the bedroom once I buy a big one....which I haven't yet....

"Not sure with the plasma, but with my LCD I saw a difference in quality for SD channels and espeically FTA ku band channels from a 27" tube TV to a 27" LCD. I think the fixed pixel TV brings out the compression flaws in dish (alot more)."
My experience , too. My dish sub looks mostly like crap on the LCD screen, but then again, I only watch it as a last resort . :)

Congrats Iceberg!!

whew...got everything unhooked....made sure to label all cables coming into the area so I know what is where :)

got the entertainment center moved out to the deck....next step for that is the saw :D (its an old pressboard setup). Had a nice stand that my grandma got when she got her 40" tube tv and she didnt want the free stand they gave her so I got it. Finally put that together :)

Now the fun...bringing in the TV and hooking everything up (oof!!!)

HD for free

Better hurry-don't want to miss the Hillary show on CNN tonite! And besides that, Purpose TV tells me I am now watching HD television!! They don't explain how this is accomplished without an hdtv or hd receiver, haha...
Popeye cartoons in HD? think they're kidding me

The SD stuff looks much better and the HD stuff is...how you say....DAMN!!!

Watched some PBS HD from my local PBS (-2 is the HD feed) and STUNNING!!

But seeing Doc Scott on a plasma 42" TV.....:eek::eek::eek:

Congratulations Tony! It's about time, don't you think?

yeah I know :)

Still hooking up everything. Need one set of component cables (the red/blue/green ones) and should be complete

stupid question though.....HDMI cable...that's just video right? I still need audio cables from the box too

I hope someone else answers this, cause I don't know. My HDtv in the bedroom has HDMI and Component, while the older 73" HDtv only has Component. I only use one box (JVC DVHS recorder with ATSC tuner) with HDMI and it handles the Sound. But, I think some older devices might not, as I type I'm starting to think that maybe it's DVI to HDMI that doesn't do sound, and that HDMI should? I'm sure someone on hear knows....

yeah I know :)

Still hooking up everything. Need one set of component cables (the red/blue/green ones) and should be complete

stupid question though.....HDMI cable...that's just video right? I still need audio cables from the box too

No need for any more cables. HDMI will get video and sound.

FINALLY upgraded the TV in the main room. Had a 32" TV and sure it was nice but wanted to view HD as it really should be

So today after a long time looking I bought a HDTV :)

42" Plasma HDTV with a s**tload of connectors on the back :D Heckuva deal and no interest for 18 months was the icing...so now I can spread out the payments.

Let the fun begin :D (actually the fun begins as I have to dismantle the current setup of 3 FTA boxes, a StarChoice box, 3 DVD recorders/hard drives, 2 VCR's (copying tapes to DVD), the TV and move the entertainment center to put the new one up :)

Plasma is the best out there, best dark images!
Most plasma tv manufactures usually recommend you to "break in" to prevent burns on your screen.
A new plasma television by keeping its brightness and contrast below a certain level for the first 100 hours or so of TV viewing. They also recommend you set the aspect ratio so it completely fills the screen for those first 100 hours.
Source: Plasma burn in: What Is It And How To Avoid It

There are several websites that say that, thats just to be on the safe side.

Also contrast levels are tourched to the max out of the box. Tone it down to avoid burn in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)