Now that VOOM is dead, who will be your provider?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Walter L. said:
I'm going COMCAST and lease their HD-DVR (also a real one :D). After seeing the D* HD-TiVo fiasco, I would consider D* or E* only when/if they offer a lease option for a DVR and, of course, add more HD channels.
Don't hold your breath, it will only result in turning blue. :) E* is a satellite cable company (lease), D* is a satellite provider (own). I know, that you know this already. I am only telling you because I have the HR10-250 ... and currently I am not aware of any "fiascos" other than enjoying 4-tuner HD recording. I must also admit that I do not rely on D* for my HD programming ... most HD I record is OTA.

Also when D* does release the HD DVR Media Center (Yes it works for all TV's in the home) that debuted at CES ... I get mine for free or bare minimum of expense. ;)

I am just glad to see that Voom is dead. Now the real HD providers (D*, E* & C*) can get the war moving into high gear.

Oh, back on topic, my brother got the comcast HD DVR in Denver ... says he is getting an HD TiVo when his new house is done. I guess it works about as well as the 921/721 (is that the right model?)

With no ABC in HD here for Comcast Atlanta, I'm just waiting it out till I choose a provider...

Undecided...

Since my set doesn't have an ATSC receiver, at the very least I will need to get a STB to receive the OTA channels. After that, I will need to see who can offer some HD content in my area.

My cable company, Adelphia, advertises heavily their "HD Package", which for $40 per month would give me DiscoverHD and 4 of my local OTAs. For $10 more I could buy the "HD Sports package", which gives one channel, ESPNHD. For another $10 I could get HBOHD. For another $10 I could get SHOWTIME HD. For another $10 I could get MAXHD. Then the HD-DVR costs another $10 per month. They introduced A La Carte packaging, which means you pay for each channel that you add. Joy.

Unless E* does something good with the remains, I will probably re-activate all the programming I had on c-band and keep D* for the HD pack. I have a functional 4DTV system with HDD200 high-def decoder that currently is activated with Denver 5 and the NPS Absolute Digital pak.

K4LK said:
... I will probably re-activate all the programming I had on c-band ...

Yes, it would be nice if the 4DTV HD option was listed in the poll. Admittedly, 4DTV doesn't provide all of the HD content out there, but it's an option, as is HD that's "free to air" (no subscription fees) with a DVB receiver. Both options are worthwhile, although they require more technical expertise than a DBS provider like Dish or DirecTV.

-Dan

Vurbano, I believe if you are a new Dish sub, you can get in for free. I had a flyer on my door the other day for a 4 room install that included a 811 HD stb, a PVR SD and 2 other boxes free of charge & the HD Pack free for 6 months. The only commitment was to sub to a basic package ($29.95) and the HD Pack ($9.95) for 1 year. I think if you want only an 811 and the HD Pack, you can get it free with a 1 year commitment to the HD Pack only.

I have just the HD Pack for $9.95/month and they charge me $5 no programming fee on top of that. Once you see the PQ of HDNET on Dish, you will know why I griped so much here.

Good luck.

you can only get just the hd pack if you buy the 811 and own it yourself. Any leasing plans require you to have at least AT60 at all times

Well I screwed that up! I should have put Nothing as I am going to wait until the screen goes dark. Then I may go Crawling back to Dish Network.......(My wife Likes Dish)

Ok D* is over compressing and downrezing right now. How do you feel about that?

Also why do you say you will get the media center at no cost? Have they made any public statements to that effect? The only thing I learned from CES is that when MPEG4 is launched on D* the current crop of receivers ($800-1000) will be obsolete.

I am not flame baiting. Honestly let us know about these issues.

Thanks!

slacker9876 said:
Don't hold your breath, it will only result in turning blue. :) E* is a satellite cable company (lease), D* is a satellite provider (own). I know, that you know this already. I am only telling you because I have the HR10-250 ... and currently I am not aware of any "fiascos" other than enjoying 4-tuner HD recording. I must also admit that I do not rely on D* for my HD programming ... most HD I record is OTA.

Also when D* does release the HD DVR Media Center (Yes it works for all TV's in the home) that debuted at CES ... I get mine for free or bare minimum of expense. ;)

I am just glad to see that Voom is dead. Now the real HD providers (D*, E* & C*) can get the war moving into high gear.

Oh, back on topic, my brother got the comcast HD DVR in Denver ... says he is getting an HD TiVo when his new house is done. I guess it works about as well as the 921/721 (is that the right model?)

slacker9876 said:
and currently I am not aware of any "fiascos" other than enjoying 4-tuner HD recording.
Didn't you hear that D* is going MPEG-4 and new hardware will be required? In fact, they already named their next generation DVR: Ucentric.
Isn't that a "fiasco" if you paid 1000 grants for an HDTiVo.

Guys, there is a similar thread and a similar poll over there.
Since the other poll was started earlier and has more votes already, I am going to discard this one and move all the posts there.

This thread is closed.

Walter L. said:
Didn't you hear that D* is going MPEG-4 and new hardware will be required? In fact, they already named their next generation DVR: Ucentric.
Isn't that a "fiasco" if you paid 1000 grants for an HDTiVo.
It is a fiasco, but dont say it at AVS aka "D* central" or you will be flamed to no end. Maybe I shouldnt have used the word "suckers" HUH?

Wow, look at the results of the poll so far. E* is beating D* 27% vs 17%, but as usually, the undecided will decide the result of the election :D

vurbano said:
It is a fiasco, but dont say it at AVS aka "D* central" or you will be flamed to no end. Maybe I shouldnt have used the word "suckers" HUH?

It is because you don't know what D* has planned, they might swap them out, they might charge for them and the Tivo's become door-stops, but in your defense they don't know either what the options are going to be,but it is their money ( I would never pay that knowing how the technology changes so quick) if they are happy...fine.

Walter L. said:
Wow, look at the results of the poll so far. E* is beating D* 27% vs 17%, but as usually, the undecided will decide the result of the election :D

Most of us undecided people are probably going to go stick it out to the end. Maybe the other providers (D*, E*, cable) will begin to add more HD content to draw us HD junkies to their service.

bruce said:
It is because you don't know what D* has planned, they might swap them out, they might charge for them and the Tivo's become door-stops, but in your defense they don't know either what the options are going to be,but it is their money ( I would never pay that knowing how the technology changes so quick) if they are happy...fine.
Hey and they might stop downrezzing (1280x1080i) so you can actually record some HD too huh?

And they might stop cutting the bandwidth too?

and hey they might just send us all a big wad of cash too?

OK Im just not clear on one thing. If I sign up for E*, can I get all SD and all HD with just one dish? As I see it after Voom shuts down there is only one sat provider providing true HD on all of its "HD" channels.

Two similar threads merged. Only one of the polls preserved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)