Now this would make for a great new Voom box!

vission

Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Moxio

This would be sweet if Voom could look into using this baby as the next Voom box. (Yes I know this is currently only for cable)

It's got everything one could want, especially if you added the option DVD player.

The interface looks great and according to the demo it seems to move fluidly.

Enjoy!
Vission

The new whole house solution that Voom has coming will be just as good. Go check out the Voom PVR threads and read about it.

The VOOM/UCentric solution seems even more open-ended and expandable than the Moxi setup, so I am very happy about my VOOMing!

Although the User Interface of Moxi is VERY purty.

CraziFuzzy said:
The VOOM/UCentric solution seems even more open-ended and expandable than the Moxi setup, so I am very happy about my VOOMing!
Although the User Interface of Moxi is VERY purty.
I agree, this Moxi seems to be limitted to just 2 tuners and 2 TV sets, while VOOM/UCentric solution is expected to come with 4 tuners standard (2 sat. + 2 OTA) and can grow from there. It is not limited to 2 TV sets either.

I just wish someone would make a freestanding HD DVR. I'd like to be able to have a HD DVR that would work across all services without having to build a HTPC.

cyuhnke, you will need a satellite box that will tune to Dish, DirecTV, Voom and also any cable services. Good luck troubleshooting that one!

They do have free standing HD-DVR units, but they only work on OTA signals.

The problem is encoding the HDTV signal. MPEG2, or any other suitable encoding, takes some SERIOUS horsepower to compress realtime at HDTV resolutions. The only way ANY current, or near future box, is/will be able to do this is by having access to the original compressed MPEG2/MPEG4/WM9/whatever stream. There are no HD recorders that I am aware of that will record HD from a video feed (at the consumer level). Also, I do not know of any video capture cards that can handle HD content either. There are HD OTA tuner cards, that have capture abilities, but they can only record HD by recording the compressed datastream from the tuner to the harddrive. This is why the DVR's out for HD all are incorporated into the tuner. So they can record the actual stream, not the video.

There was a Panasonic Tape unit a few years ago but it got yanked off the market due to either the FCC or the CES, but it has component in and records HD. They are a rare find now and go for upwards of $1200.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)