now you can own your cable box!?

Yes, as of July 1, the FCC has ordered a structural separation - cable companies are no longer legally permitted to offer security functions and navigation functions within one single device. Security functions must be in a separate device.

This article appears to incorrectly state that offering physical CableCards is the only way that cable operators can comply with the new rule. They may also offer a downloadable software security module, so long as this does not restrict consumer choice to buy a cable box or lease it.

No Waiver for Comcast - 1/15/2007 - Multichannel News

Good lucking finding one on the store shelves. I purchased a Sony HD DVR w/cablecard and free TV Guide On Screen early last year, but the item was being discontinued. The only STB I know of currently on the market is the Tivo Series 3. I would consider buying one if it the guide were provided free-of-charge. Most people are not going to pay hundreds of dollars to use the guide after already shelling out $600 - $800 for the unit.

My question is this, so you now go out and buy your box, you still need to rent the card from the cable company they can charge you the same price for the card. Or it will be like Dish and Direct even though you may have purchased you boxes you still have to pay a monthly programming fee for each box to receive the channels.

My question is this, so you now go out and buy your box, you still need to rent the card from the cable company they can charge you the same price for the card. Or it will be like Dish and Direct even though you may have purchased you boxes you still have to pay a monthly programming fee for each box to receive the channels.
Your owned STBs will be rent free...just pay for the cablecard. The programming guide is another story since, currently, there are no two-way cablecards. I believe the card only cost the cable provider less than $30 each. When I had cable, I paid a nominal $1.75 per month fee...with nominal being the operative word in that sentence. I have no doubt the FCC would get involved if the cable companies were bilking the customer and thus defeating the purpose of cablecard security. The FCC is bound and determined for consumers to purchase STBs just a easily as they now do telephones...just need to wrangles the STB market away from cable (Scientific-Atlanta, Motorola) and make it worthwhile market for the CEA.

yes but my issue is they dont step in with the satellite providers and say that customers the same way, most satellite customers own thier reciever but are still charged $5 a month per box programming fees with cable you just get the box rental fee without paying for the actual box. If the fcc steps in then they should do the same thing for satellite companies.

yes but my issue is they dont step in with the satellite providers and say that customers the same way, most satellite customers own thier reciever but are still charged $5 a month per box programming fees with cable you just get the box rental fee without paying for the actual box. If the fcc steps in then they should do the same thing for satellite companies.
You're correct, the FCC regulates DBS but not the same ways as they do cable and terestrial. Offhand, I cannot understand why D*, E*, the CEA and FCC never agreed/mandated DBS standard so TVs and STBs could be "satellite ready"...just add the security card sent to you my D*/E* to your devices.

Just a word of warning, do not purchase anything out there on e-bay or similiar places, the old boxes will not work when the new rules actually apply!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts