NPD Numbers showing BD standalones leading!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
For the last nine weeks running BD standalones have been outselling HD-DVD standalones:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6475686.html

Is this going to be a trend just like when BD discs sales surpassed HD-DVD discs sales?

ps: Thanks to the HD-DVD fanatics that say I never post any facts with my statements.:D

"While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago."

Nothing to get excited about Joe BluSP.

Umm - that little bit of Sony's "Fuzzy Math" is what Navychop cited in the thread he started about this exact same topic almost 3 weeks ago! :rolleyes:

Sony does know how to chose words carefully. And the news report on HighDefDigest caught the nuances of the carefully chosen words much better -

Sony VP Chris Fawcett said that within the last 12 weeks, Blu-ray players had pulled out ahead of HD DVD.

According to the Video Business report, Fawcett cited NPD Group research for the data, but declined to provide exact market share percentages of the two sides.
:rolleyes:

Toshiba's response however, was a little more clear cut, IMHO -
In light of recent comments made regarding high definition stand-alone video players sales, Toshiba would like to reiterate its continued industry leading sales figures. Based on July data from NPD, Toshiba had a 55% market share year to date in high definition stand alone player sales followed by all Blu-ray companies at a combined 42%; the final 3 percent is held by dual format players.

While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago.

In September of 2006 HD-DVD held a 78% lead in standalones. In January that lead was down to around 73%. Now that lead in total sales of high def standalones is 58%? Can anyone here explain to me how that can happen if BD standalone sales are NOT picking up and exceeding HD-DVD standalone sales? Especially when HD-DVD started selling their standalones in May 2006 , Samsungs ill fated first BD player debut in August of 2006 (to severe critisism and joy of the HD-DVD crowd) and finally the Thanksgiving launch of the PS3 followed by the launch of BD standalones from other manufacturers and yet with a clear 5 month lead and prices more the half of the BD standalone players right now -- RIGHT NOW they only hold a 58% lead in total sales since inception!

I don't believe any of the BS that Sony or Toshiba is handing out. However, NPD sales figures is another thing. They don't count product on the shelves boys, they count actual sales figures.

And their sales figures show that in the past 9 weeks that BD has been selling at better then 50% of total (that is BD and HD-DVD standalone) sales. Now since you HD-DVD guys seem to be the only ones around here whose OPPINIONs matter how about one of you guys bust out a calculator and use any number you want and show how BD can be catching up to HD-DVD in standalone sales by not outselling HD-DVD standalones at some point?

Better yet, at the end of August the arguement in this forum was that BD's sales explosion to capture more than half the HD standalones sales was short-lived-only two weeks and that was going to be it! Well according to NPD it has been going on now for 9 weeks now.

Maybe it will continue and maybe not. But I am going to watch the NPD figures and not the BS from either camp. You can't spin sales numbers -- period!

Your calculations may begin -- now.

For the last nine weeks running BD standalones have been outselling HD-DVD standalones:

Sony: Blu-ray set-top players out-selling HD DVD - 9/5/2007 - Video Business

Is this going to be a trend just like when BD discs sales surpassed HD-DVD discs sales?

ps: Thanks to the HD-DVD fanatics that say I never post any facts with my statements.:D

Well, it turns out both Sony & Toshiba were telling truth - their way of presenting the numbers. Sony said:

Sony VP Chris Fawcett said that within the last 12 weeks, Blu-ray players had pulled out ahead of HD DVD.

To which Toshiba's responded

Toshiba would like to reiterate its continued industry leading sales figures. Based on July data from NPD, Toshiba had a 55% market share year to date in high definition stand alone player sales followed by all Blu-ray companies at a combined 42%; the final 3 percent is held by dual format players.

While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago.

From today's Video Business -

HD DVD set-tops have reclaimed their dominance over Blu-ray standalone players, according to weekly NPD Group unit sales figures cited by Toshiba.

HD DVD players began outselling Blu-ray models starting in mid-September and regained a year-to-date lead of a little over 50% through the rest of the month, said Jodi Sally, Toshiba VP of marketing of digital A/V products.

Year to date, according to NPD figures she cited, HD DVD players command 53% of sales; Blu-ray players, 44%; dual format players, 3%.

She acknowledged several Blu-ray weekly victories in the run-up to home theater installer conference CEDIA, but she told attendees at Tuesday’s DVD Forum conference, that Blu-ray victory was short lived. At the time of CEDIA in early September, Sony executives said that the launch of the company’s $499 models, which marked the cheapest available BD set-tops to date, helped boost their August sales.

“When new models hit stores there will be a surge in demand. There were some weeks where we lagged,” said Sally. “But overall HD DVD continues to dominate.”

So, now we know - when the lower priced BD players finally hit the stores, BD standalones did lead HD DVD players for "some weeks", fueled no doubt by the pent up demand from folks who wanted to spend less than $500 for something that played BD discs and wasn't primarily a game machine. That demand has now been filled, and HD DVD players once again dominate player sales. ;)

"While the competition may claim leadership based on one month of data, Toshiba has had continued sales leadership in every month since the original HD DVD players launched 17 months ago."

Nothing to get excited about Joe BluSP.

No surprise, I'm with JoeSP on this one... OF COURSE HD-DVD is ahead in total sales, because they came out first and were much cheaper early on. The recent sales numbers are more of an indication of where the battle is going IMO.

And I know no one wants to take it into account, but keep in mind that there are still a lot more PS3's out there than HD-DVD 360 add-ons, and that is a significant point as well. While not everyone uses their PS3 for movies (yet), it does give those people a push toward the BD camp and can only help the Blu cause...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)