NPRM meant for DBS for FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think that NPRM will hold a 1 meter dish, as it is designed for the 18-24" DBS dishes. I have a couple of these designed for flat roofs, and they won't accommodate anything larger than 80-90 CM very well. They rely on a J-pole and mounting foot to attach the pole.

The one you linked to is interesting, its the only one I've ever seen designed for a pitched roof.

The one you linked to is interesting, its the only one I've ever seen designed for a pitched roof.
i've seen one locally for larger dishes so i know they are out there ....just gotta search .... it was for a 1 meter or 1.2 meter

NPRM project ?

31"? That's pushing it.
Motorized? I don't think so.
A 1m motorized? No way, Jose.

It clearly says it's rated for 24" dishes.
Doesn't even say what size it is.
But, you can see how it's built, and maybe work out the size.

So for the $80 it'd take to buy and ship it to ya, why don't you make your own?
Some old bedframes and a welder (or bolts 'n brackets) and you could make one for what? $25?
Plus cost of cement blocks, either way.

Start up a brainstorming project here, and get ideas (if you are interested)
I'm sure those more experienced with NPRMs will chime in , post pictures, and give encouragement. - :up

If you're not interested, maybe you can find a bigger one on Craig's list, your local Recycler newspaper, or elsewhere.
Maybe try eBay?
I prefer local, to eliminate shipping charges.

Not a bad idea, Anole. I also have an NPRM designed for the Superdish, but it too uses a J-pole with foot attachment. This type of mounting pole tends to sway too much with any amount of weight attached to it.

Tron -

Well, motorized dishes of any size are an off-center, off-balance masses, moving around making your life hell.
So, a sturdy mount with side-support struts is a requirement ! - :eek:
But, I have no doubt we could whip up a simple design for an NPRM that'd hold your SuperDish (even with a motor), using the existing J-pole and struts.
It's that peak-of-the-roof part that I don't much like. ;)

I'll ask Linuxman to chime with his thoughts.
He's got several NPRMs on his roof.

I am about to find out how well a NPRM can hold a six foot dish! Hello Faye. Off to Lowes this morning for some more cement blocks. My 1.2 meter is also on one but I think it will be fine.

Tron -

Well, motorized dishes of any size are an off-center, off-balance masses, moving around making your life hell.
So, a sturdy mount with side-support struts is a requirement ! - :eek:
But, I have no doubt we could whip up a simple design for an NPRM that'd hold your SuperDish (even with a motor), using the existing J-pole and struts.
It's that peak-of-the-roof part that I don't much like. ;)

I'll ask Linuxman to chime with his thoughts.
He's got several NPRMs on his roof.

The pics that follow show what I have for my motorized Primestar 84e. I took the standard NPRM and modified it with the 2-3/8" schedule 40 pipe you see. I wouldn't use anything less for a motorized dish.

For a pitched roof, you could get two of these and have the pole in the center with the two NPRM mounted off each side.

Here are the pics:

nprm-motorized-pstar.jpg

nprm-motorized-pstar2.jpg

Yep, Linuxman, that looks familiar :) I've got similar NPRMs for both my motorized and the fixed Channel Master on G-18, and they are rock solid.

Comptech, as far as hurricanes go, just remove the dish reflectors and you'll be fine in anything. That's what I did with both the Channel Master and my motorized setup when Katrina hit, and the mounts stayed put (and precisely aligned!) throughout the whole 140 mph. sustained/180 mph. gusts ordeal. I ended up with a much better LOS (nearly every tree in the neighborhood was leveled). If only my house hadn't flooded...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)