NPS is ending their C-Band signals on 12-26-10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ShelleyA

Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I had to renew my Starz/Encore pak today & the guy sure pushed the Dish. I said I was waiting to see what happens. He got huffy when I kept saying I would not do Dish ever. He told me that since my sub now expires on 12-18 that is the last of my Starz. Would not extend it to end at 12-26 like they are now ending everything. Only would go past 12-18 if I now signed up for Dish Network. This is my only chance. I told them no. I asked what happened to the 12-31 end & he got huffy again & said we never promised it would last till 12-31 only that Motorola would end it then. Kept telling me how expensive everything was going to be unless I switched to Dish now. I told him I was going to do the W5 thing & he acted like I was crazy. Why would I pay more, on & on. I asked for prices of it & he could not tell me any prices of all this more expensive ways to enjoy TV. So I wish they would hurry up & decide what us diehard C-band people are going to do & prices. Didn't know if anybody else had heard this or not.

In January you can go to SRL have them set you up for the HITS channels on W5 and get Starz there. You did the right thing by telling NPS NO. When you call NPS now you speak to their dish network sales dept. They fired all of C band already and all they are interested in is getting you to sign with Dish so they can make there 50% of the c band subs to dish quota that they have a deal with Dish for. They ain't making there quota and they don't like it. TOO BAD!

I've had my C-Band dish since the middle 80's. Been so long, don't remember when. Got it when they 1st were available for people to buy. Had it Moved 18 years ago when I moved to this house. Used to get HBO & all kinds of stuff free even all the Spanish stuff from Mexico. My how things have changed. People at work think I'm crazy hanging onto it. But what the heck are you going to do with a 10 ft fiberglass dish if you quit using it. Besides TV sure looks good on my 55 inch TV with my BUD. So how does NPS know the prices of W5 to come? And why don't they tell you. Kind of weird, I already get most of what's on W-5 now, just not the movie channels. So what's the big deal when I already get W5 channels? Glad I told them NO for the 10th time.

I've had my C-Band dish since the middle 80's. Been so long, don't remember when. Got it when they 1st were available for people to buy. Had it Moved 18 years ago when I moved to this house. Used to get HBO & all kinds of stuff free even all the Spanish stuff from Mexico. My how things have changed. People at work think I'm crazy hanging onto it. But what the heck are you going to do with a 10 ft fiberglass dish if you quit using it. Besides TV sure looks good on my 55 inch TV with my BUD. So how does NPS know the prices of W5 to come? And why don't they tell you. Kind of weird, I already get most of what's on W-5 now, just not the movie channels. So what's the big deal when I already get W5 channels? Glad I told them NO for the 10th time.

Preliminary W5 Prices : View attachment SRL_410h2h_9-30-10.pdf

Comcast HITS seems to be converting their DCII HD combo mode feeds to DVB-S2. I wonder if they plan to switch the 4dtv SD channels also? There are now 3 empty transponder on AMC 18.

Could they be freeing up space to shift all the SD combo stuff to AMC 18 then swap the modulation to 4DTV mode to make this whole thing fly? I know it's a long shot but we never know. Comcast may want to make this thing work. If they add the basic channels missing they have a much bigger chance of big success. Lets hope that it has something to do with expansion for us.

Comcast HITS seems to be converting their DCII HD combo mode feeds to DVB-S2. I wonder if they plan to switch the 4dtv SD channels also? There are now 3 empty transponder on AMC 18.

If they go S2. Then any off the shelf DVB s2 receiver will be able to scan in the signal. Decoding it is another story. Seems like we would need an add on decoder connected to the rs 232 port or usb. Maybe Skyvision could come up with something. "And then i woke up".:D

As long as Comcast doesn't have to spend money to take advantage of this opportunity to turn around the displaced 4D subscribers, why would they change the format? By limiting availability in that manner they would be hurting themselves.

I don't think converting DCII Combo HD to DVB HD with DCII on top has anything to do with us 4DTV users unless they are planning on offering a DCII CAM for DVB receivers. (If they do I'm going to be really mad that I bought the PCI DVBWorld without the CAM add on instead of the PCIe version with the CAM add on. I bought the non-CAM one thinking CAM's would never be offered in the US.)

I've found 2 transponders converted on W5, 4000 and 4200 if I remember correctly. Has anyone scanned SES 1 to see if anything is going on over there?

As long as Comcast doesn't have to spend money to take advantage of this opportunity to turn around the displaced 4D subscribers, why would they change the format? By limiting availability in that manner they would be hurting themselves.

Technically Comcast could very easily move the SD combo muxes to W5 and then run in split mode. If they really want this to fly well it is in there best interest to do it. NPS will be kicking themselves you know where if that happens. SRL and Skyvision will have proved they were the king right along while Mike goes and sells his toasters next year.

Keep on dreaming people, Comcast does whats good for Comcast if you havent seen that by now you never will. Its all about the money people, what ever is cheapest and works the best is what they are going to use plain and simple. They want you, all to subscribe to cable or pizza pan dish they dont want the hassle or trouble dealing with the few C band scribes left. Once all the older cable headends get upgraded equipment the digi stream that the old cable headends and everyone used with be discontinued.

Technically Comcast could very easily move the SD combo muxes to W5 and then run in split mode. If they really want this to fly well it is in there best interest to do it. NPS will be kicking themselves you know where if that happens. SRL and Skyvision will have proved they were the king right along while Mike goes and sells his toasters next year.

Is there any bandwidth difference between combo and split? If not, I don't understand what the advantage to running combo is or why it's used.

...Once all the older cable headends get upgraded equipment the digi stream that the old cable headends and everyone used with be discontinued.

LOL! Someone always pops in to make that point. What's missing from that statement is how slow all these changes move. ESPN is just now finally getting around to killing their SD analog feeds, while TWC still hasn't done it.

It's kinda hard for me to get all worked up about the demise of DCII when analog hasn't even completely died off yet. These transitions tend to move at the speed of sludge.

Cheers

Is there any bandwidth difference between combo and split? If not, I don't understand what the advantage to running combo is or why it's used.

Combo technically is more efficient but not by much. They use the same number channels in a combo and split mux. So if they went split it would be no big deal really. Split done right can look quite good especially if they use the 29270 SR just look at the masters using 29270 split. Another thing if they went to split the cable headends decoders would just migrate to split, no adjustments needed.

Heres some technical info on DC2:

North American MPEG-2 Information

I hope that Comcast does move all the split mode stuff to the 105 satellite for 4dtv people. But, in reality, what are the chances in this happening? If they were so interested it seems like they would make some sort of announcement. In these days and times, who knows? But, still unlikely, How many cable subscribers are getting fed via the HITS satellites? Compare that to less than 18,000 of us, I just can't see them doing much for us, unfortunately.

There's gotta be more to megapipe than just being in the combo mode. Our 922s can do combo mode, or so it would seem. Not only is there several combo modes listed in the hidden menus of the 922, but I have tested this theory against my 4500X.

In recent days, a mux on C3 went FP. We could all get them with our normal C3 maps in our 922s. Just for the fun of it, I decided to tune them in with my 4500X. Much to my surprise, the 4500X showed them to be combo mode. I don't remember the SR & FEC, but when I chose the same SR & FEC with the split option, DC lock was lost. I chose combo again & DC lock returned.

I'm not a DCII expert by any means. But my testing sure leads me to believe that combo mode does not equal megapipe outright. Otherwise, our 922s couldn't receive these channels. There's just gotta be more to it than that.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts