NPS -- no rehit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
The last time I did a master reset on my 922, I followed instructions about calling NPS for a rehit. I was told that they would not reset my clock unless I had programming with them or ordered programming. :rant:

I didn't need or want any programming. I spoke with two different people who both said the same thing. Did you know that their 200 Free channels you get with a subscription are just that? Free. What a come-on.

Isn't there anyone else out there who will just give a hit to reset the clock? Without having to purchase any programming?

Call them again and be really nice and calm. When I got a free 920 a few months ago I was able to sweet talk NPS into giving me a complementary hit to 'see if it worked' without having any subscription. Of course when I subscribed I went through them.

Years ago program providers would authorize the guide for free. This would turn on the U mode channels. Program providers are in the business of selling programming and don't have to give you freebee's so getting mad about it won't accomplish anything.

That said I have never had a problem with asking NPS to check if a decoder is good, so you can try that approach. Now take into account I have services and a track record with them. I don't know if that adds anything or not to getting things done. NPS does have some new policies that are strictly business which I don't care for, but it is what it is. The 4DTV is meant to be used for purchased programming.

You can also call SRL, I had them check a 410 I got for a client. If all else fails subscribe to an alacarte from SRL. One channel won't break the bank ;)

In my experience with various GI-Motorola DCII receivers, hits still can occur whether or not a box is subbed. I have 2 old 410s that will register on the trip counter if left on AMC18. These things haven't been subbed to HITS in years.

When my 905 was damaged by lightning, it sat unused for a year and a half before ATS repaired it. When I first connected it back up it to download the current mapping it also registered trips before it was subbed again.

My 4200Vs never do and the clock is always hours off but the minutes correct after on a DCII stream. Who knows what they were originally used for and pointed at.

so in other words, NPS charges for a rehit now? ;)

Your guess is as good as mine Ice. NPS has adopted a very bad business is business attitude within the last couple years. They want to nickel and dime you for everything.

One of my services ran out a few months back and I forgot to renew it with them and they shut it off. I had a early renewal invoice here that said it was one price up to a specific date and another after that date. I called them the day it was shut off and even though I had a piece of paper that said I was suppose to pay a certain price they charged me a higher new price and told me I have to pay that even though my paperwork said something else. In short they did not honor the document and legally they were in the wrong. I got fed up since they wouldn't budge and payed it since it wasn't worth the hassle to pursue it. SRL didn't carry that channel ala carte so I was stuck with the NPS BS.

The last time I did a master reset on my 922, I followed instructions about calling NPS for a rehit. I was told that they would not reset my clock unless I had programming with them or ordered programming. :rant:

I didn't need or want any programming. I spoke with two different people who both said the same thing. Did you know that their 200 Free channels you get with a subscription are just that? Free. What a come-on.

Isn't there anyone else out there who will just give a hit to reset the clock? Without having to purchase any programming?

I was under the impression that if you set your dish on G1-3 that the clock would automatically be updated regardless if you had a sub or not. For years I didn't have any subs and recently did a master reset because that was the only way to get W5 to show up. After going to G1-3, my clock reset to the correct time. A day later, I ordered my first sub in years. So, it appears that you don't need a sub for the time to set up.

Maybe you just got lucky or the 4DTV retains it's memory of which time zone it was last activated in. I have subscribed since the day I got mine so my clock has always been right. I myself can't see the use of having a 4DTV if your not going to subscribe. The pickins that are free in DC2 are slim and for the most part crap.
If you need a dish mover for DVB there are plenty of analog receivers that can foot the bill for next to nothing. Paying even a couple hundred for a 4D without subbing is silly.

tvropro, just for your information SRL has also increased the cost of there Skyvision 410 packages. They could at least tossed in a few extra channels.

@tvropro, re: "I myself can't see the use of having a 4DTV if your not going to subscribe."

Thanks, I just had a 922 given to me and really don't think that I'd want to subscribe to programming and from your post, not much to see otherwise. It was purchased new from Skyvision in 2002. After looking at what they sell for used, I am going to try to give it back to him and point him to ebay or craigslist. If he insists that I keep it, then I'll have a clear conscious about selling it and buying something else (satellite related of course).

tvropro, just for your information SRL has also increased the cost of there Skyvision 410 packages. They could at least tossed in a few extra channels.

Yes SRL went up so Skyvision goes up. I think Comcast is behind the increases since cable and pizza has this stupid mentality that rates must increase yearly. HITS is Comcast so do the math.

For years my bud subscription prices never increased. Now it all about sucking every last drop out of everyone. But that is done with everything these days the GREED is rampant, somethings are worse than others. :(

I remember back in 1997, Dish Network offered 15 channels for 15 bucks. I sure hope SA / Cisco can work something out with the programmers. People want cheap and they want individual channels.

I, too, noticed that the 922 did reset the clock on its own. But I do not remember which satellite I was on. This was after I had called NPS the last time with no results. So, now I can avoid one lengthy (wait time) step in the process of doing a master reset.

Sure, I was nice to NPS the first couple of times I called. They did give me a rehit...twice. I had to master reset a 920 I had bought to check it out cause the 920 had been sitting around unplugged by someone else for a few years. After a month or so, I master reset the 922 for the same reasons. But when I had to reset the 922 again, NPS refused to rehit to set the clock. I learned at that time that the FREE channels they offered with a subscription were channels that are already free. So there is the come-on.

Next time I have to master reset one of the DSR's, I am not calling NPS and wasting my time. I will check out SRL and see what they have to offer for ala carte and their service for rehits. There's plenty to watch on FTA, but W5 music channels on the DSR's are great!!! And there are some wild feeds and backhauls too.

NPS must know they darn near have a monopoly on the 4dtv stuff.

NPS was always so good. they majorly screwed up some charges on my credit card once..i have some old posts around here somewhere from back when. Like to never got it straightened up.

I noticed their programming went up quite a bit and progressively.
I understand inflation and high overhead.

I stopped subbing to anything as it was straight FTA and over the air antenna for us.

i decided to sub again but went with SRL. so far i couldn't be happier.
Love their channel packages. You have a lot of choices with SRL.

Status
Please reply by conversation.