NPS to up bitrate in March

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
TVROPRO said:
Actually for me currently the G3 NPS reuplinks aren't that bad (as for others) in there current state. I use a special video processer I designed that addresses the digital over compression problem. I am an Electronic tech that loves to design and build circuits. When I got into digital some 4 years ago I started looking at what can be done to improve the picture of over compression. With over 3 years of R&D, adding, changing, and modifying the circuit design. I came up with a neat toy that does a really nice job. In fact on the HITS W5 channels with my processor in line the picture can rival the first generation masters. This is what I set out to do when I got the idea and achieved it by long hours of working with and tweaking the processed video signal in the S video state with electronic circuitry.

a picture of your device would be nice and a short synopsys of what it does
something that wouldn't infringe on what you have produced. did you start with a base unit and monify it to your custom purpose
thanks

a picture of your device would be nice and a short synopsys of what it does
something that wouldn't infringe on what you have produced. did you start with a base unit and monify it to your custom purpose
thanks

It is 100% my design. I built this from scratch by drawing schematics and building circuits and experimenting while watching the video on my monitor and scope to see what affected what as I tried different circuit mods. I even wound my own inductors to get the frequency response I wanted.

I don't have a picture of it right now since it is a prototype that I made for myself. It's in a metal box. All you see on the outside is a S video in & S video out, a red power led and a 9 volt transformer for the wall.

What it does is it takes the S video signal, cleans up the compression noise, then enhances the picture quality and depth once the signal is suppressed of the artifacts.

The Y & C are amplified, the Y is split and processed in 2 stages. One stage of the Y is cleaned of the digital artifacts while the other stage which contains the Y HF video information is preserved and multiplied to achieve an increased bandwidth to give a greater depth of field to the picture. After processing is done the Y is mixed back in to one signal to feed the output. The C is in a virgin amplified state since it contains the color only and the artifacts don't effect the C.

I like the way the masters have that sharpness that the overly compressed feeds don't so I had to add that to my latest revision. All in all Im very pleased with the results. Its fun to take an idea run with it and make it a reality :D

NPS Backpedels

I read on another forum that NPS will now probably not change there bitrate for a better picture, Supposedly there engineers say they don't have the equipment to do it. Sounds hokey to me :( I think NPS is still lost in the fog and don't have a clue of whats what.

The latest chat log on nps.com states that they don't have the equipment to handle changing the S/R and FEC from 19510 3/4 to 29270 3/4. Sad. And they also stated they had approx. 25,000 cband sub's, even more sad to see the dwindling numbers. Oh well.

The latest chat log on nps.com states that they don't have the equipment to handle changing the S/R and FEC from 19510 3/4 to 29270 3/4. Sad. And they also stated they had approx. 25,000 cband sub's, even more sad to see the dwindling numbers. Oh well.

NPS is operating on a shoestring budget, this is either true or what they want us to believe (IMHO it's the latter). :confused: Really though, NPS shouldn't spout off what there going to do and get us all excited and pull the rug out from under us. :mad: I renewed my G3 channels for another 6 months thinking I was going to see a great increase in picture quality on my HDTV. Now Im going to see the same crappy quality for this period of the subscription. :mad: After this runs out Im done with NPS and there so called magic wand idea's. :confused: At least I know what to expect on W5 and SRL sells more of the W5 channels. :)

I think I was misreading what NPS had in mind. I'm certainly no expert but enjoy learning about these topics. I didn't think the SR really influences the picture quality. Perhaps I am wrong.

The SR is 19510 on AMC18, G15 and the picture looks about the same to me as on my Discovery networks on AMC10 that are 29270.

This makes for some interesting reading on this topic.Symbol rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I was misreading what NPS had in mind. I'm certainly no expert but enjoy learning about these topics. I didn't think the SR really influences the picture quality. Perhaps I am wrong.

The SR is 19510 on AMC18, G15 and the picture looks about the same to me as on my Discovery networks on AMC10 that are 29270.

This makes for some interesting reading on this topic.Symbol rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I know a higher SR, 29270 vs 19510 is faster and will allow more bits of information to flow in the same period of time. It also takes more bandwidth to make use of it. So in short being faster and having more information a better picture is achieved.

19510 can look awesome as I have seen on the masters. The W5 HITS stuff looks quite good too. I think NPS's/Crawfords techs don't know what there doing since they are creating a bit starved condition, when HITS can run the same SR and FEC and look good.

Here's a good link that get in depth with all this stuff:

North American MPEG-2 Information

Keep in mind they were going to also switch the FEC to 5/6.

What I heard is that there final decision was to go from 19510 3/4 to 29270 3/4. Actually 5/6 wouldn't gain that much more, 7/8 would. Anyway there encoder according to Crawford said may die if they changed anything. I guess they needed to flash the firmware, like I have done with various computer and electronic equipment over the years. There is always a chance something may go wrong when you do a flash, so you cross your fingers and do it. I never had a problem. Maybe Crawford didn't want to take the responsibility if something went wrong and Mike opted out because of that. Maybe they need to send there encoder to ATS and get it done professionally or better yet to the hackers that pirate Dish etc. :rolleyes: ;) :D

I believe this is the problem with the G3 picture quality: We receive each programmers signals on a commercial satellite receiver where the signals are output analog and then converted to digital to feed into an older Motorola DCII system. If the feeds were kept in the original digital signal, the quality would be better.

I believe this is the problem with the G3 picture quality: We receive each programmers signals on a commercial satellite receiver where the signals are output analog and then converted to digital to feed into an older Motorola DCII system. If the feeds were kept in the original digital signal, the quality would be better.

Sure if you pass them in there pure digital state they would be better but I think it goes beyond that. There using composite cables as dot crawl is seen. If they used S, component or HDMI that would make an improvement. Though I think it has more to do with the way the encoder is configured, stat mux etc. I don't have a lot of faith in Crawfords engineers and NPS is at there mercy since Mike and the gang probably can't align a c band dish.

I think the power vu receivers have ASI and DHEI Out, how they are feeding it to the DC encoder and reuplinking it with the modulators and all is unknown, it's just to bad they will not be fixing the poor pic issue.

NPS is on there last time around for me purchasing there G3 channels, when they run out Im done. I won't keep supporting the poor picture quality anymore. I made the mistake believing in NPS's hype that this fix was happening in early March and added 6 months on to my sub. I would cancel it if I could but NPS services are "non cancelable non refundable" Well Mike got his last dollar from me for the bit starved mess. I'll invest that money in something of quality or a HD DVB receiver.

Last edited:
Now at my age your eyes can play tricks on you but I swear the picture just got better on G3. I was watching a rerun of CSI-Miami last night and the pic suddenly appeared to be better so I zoomed it on my 46" LCD and it still looked decent. That never happened before. Did they actually follow thru?

Now at my age your eyes can play tricks on you but I swear the picture just got better on G3. I was watching a rerun of CSI-Miami last night and the pic suddenly appeared to be better so I zoomed it on my 46" LCD and it still looked decent. That never happened before. Did they actually follow thru?

Not to burst your bubble but maybe the stat mux all of a sudden threw a few more bits at that channel. That's the only thing I can think of. Just watching some fast motion stuff on VH1 and it's macroblocking like normal. Still 19510 3/4 too. Fat chance of Crawford doing anything especially at night, there all home sleeping. :(

If NPS won't change the bit rate maybe they should bitch at Crawford for the 36 mhz of bandwidth there paying for vs 24 there using and get another transponder at the 24 meg there being cheated out of and move some services over there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts