NTSB released it's recommendation on cell phone use while driving today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
There are a number of reports on this but it seems the NTSB is recommending a nationwide ban on all phone use and other electronic devices ( whatever that means) while driving a vehicle by all except when for the purpose of an emergency ( 911 call ) including a ban on all hands free systems too. The main thrust of this is to stop drivers from using a phone for voice or text communications while driving. But the catch phrase is "other electronic devices" What does that mean? They want it placed in the same punitive category as DUI. The ban recommendation does not include passengers. Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

Hands-free devices are supposed to take a lot of the distraction away. I would compare talking on a bluetooth device the same as talking with a passenger. Are they going to ban conversing with passengers in the vehicle next?

I think a good compromise would be if you aren't using hands free to talk on phone while driving they can stop you and you lose your driver's license for 90 days. Second offense, 1 year in jail. Talking on a hands free phone has never been documented to cause an accident any more than yelling at your kids or getting into an argument with a passenger. Texting and dialing a phone has been the cause of accidents often. There is plenty of justification for banning texting while driving but to use that as an excuse to ban a driver talking with hands-free device is just plain moronic. Remember, these are the same morons that claim passengers listening to an ipod during takeoff or using a laptop will crash the plane. If I didn't know better, I would not want to ever fly if the planes were that fragile.

Don Landis said:
There are a number of reports on this but it seems the NTSB is recommending a nationwide ban on all phone use and other electronic devices ( whatever that means) while driving a vehicle by all except when for the purpose of an emergency ( 911 call ) including a ban on all hands free systems too. The main thrust of this is to stop drivers from using a phone for voice or text communications while driving. But the catch phrase is "other electronic devices" What does that mean? They want it placed in the same punitive category as DUI. The ban recommendation does not include passengers. Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

Does it mean I can't change the song on my iPod? Sounds like it. Actually I am not sure under the current Illinois law if doing that is even legal now.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Currently 34 states and W DC ban texting while driving. All states allow driver cell phone use and many restrict it to hands free cell phone use by the driver.

"THEY" (The Government) try, but legislation NEVER replaces the common sense missing in today's human beings (including those who hold drivers' licenses).....!

The more technology we get, it would seem "the dumber we get as a race," and..... the more we allow Government to enforce policies that should be common sense without legislation anyway!

Some now want a total ban on cell phone use in a car!

For me it wasn't a real problem till now!For safety reasons some want a total ban on cell phones in cars including hands free.I think this goes too far!Whats next then!getting a ticket for talking to someone else in the car while driving?Seems like a limit in freedom of speech here.heres the article>> US urges ban on texting, talking while driving | General Headlines | Comcast.net

Talking on the phone in the car is the distraction, not holding the phone. Certainly texting while driving is a horrific idea. Then again we should consider any activity other than driving a punishable offense whiling operating a vehicle, ie shaving, putting on makeup up, reading the morning paper, eating, drinking beverages, smoking, and I have seen all of these activities attempted while driving. All of these activities have the ability to distract a driver enough to cause an accident. Inattention while operating a vehicle is easily the cause of most accidents. Even the act of running through all the activities you plan on doing at any given time while operating a vehicle can cause the distraction.

Most people can remember being in car driving, while thinking about other things. A few minutes later thinking, "Wow, I don't remember how I got here". This is because the cognitive conscious parts of your brain require 100 percent of your attention while driving. When you attempt to multitask while driving, your Brain hands off the driving duties to the Unconscious part of your brain, because you generally have done that task repetitively. While your unconscious brain can generally manage driving duties like staying between the lines on a straight road, it can NOT manage or act properly when faced with a sudden tasks, like a vehicle making sudden unanticipated maneuvers, a Traffic light changing to red, somebody running a stop sign etc.

Put the phone down, and start paying attention while driving. Most humans don't even realize the complexities and cognitive abilities required while driving, as it is something we do everyday so we rationalize (wrongly) how easy the task of driving is.

I think the real problem is texting. They need to ban that.

Yes very much agreed.....I know of people in my town killed from texting while driving.

Its just crazy to be reading,texting or other things that take your eyes off the road while driving.Your asking for something to go wrong but moving the mouth while keeping an eye on the road shouldnt be a problem.

Stanleyjohn,

Its not the moving of the mouth, its the thinking about the conversation, and concentrating on your response. While I will say a casual conversation might not be distracting, a conversation that requires concentration like the following example; Your driving home and your partner calls you on the way home, "Hey how was your day, BTW what do you want to do for dinner" then you suggest something, and then while on the phone you start going over all the things you need to get at the store, BOOM you just ran a red light and hit somebody.

Bottomline, anything that requires you to stash and retrieve, thoughts, memories, emotions, and craft a response saps your attention.

And with this line of thought, they should ban stereos, Ipods, children in cars (they are certainly distracting),reading, putting on make-up, popping a zit, any form of intimate contact...hand holding, kissing. Better yet, ban all cars, they are just to dangerous.

This is a state issue and should be left as such. The feds have no business and should have no business passing laws like this or telling/encouraging states to make such laws.

I can say since CA has banned cell use and texting while driving, it has stopped no one. Driving a truck I can see down into most cars I pass or that pass me. You would not believe the number of people texting in their lap. I feel the law has made it more dangerous because now people try to text and hide at the same time, meaning they are now spending even less time focusing on the road. Before they would hold the phone on the steering wheel with their eyes looking at both the road and the phone at the same time, as opposed to looking down at their lap taking all of their focus away from the road.

Last edited:
I have a question. For those states that have banned ALL/TOTAL cell phone use (including hands free), but still allow navigation systems in the car, what if they are using a navigation APP on their cell phone?

These days, even the dumbest cell phones have GPS in them. GPS can be used to tell speed. Any movement vehicle or otherwise over say 10MPH should lock out texting capabiliites in all phones. No override available in any way. Put a 5 minute delay on getting it back, to keep people from texting while sitting at an intersection. Sorry passengers this goes for you to. You can, oh no, talk to the other people in the car with you. This will never happen without a federal mandate so mandate away.

Does it also mean you can no longer use a navigation device, such as Garmin, TomTom, or Magellan? What about cars that have them built in? Heck, the built in stereo system and a satellite radio are also "electronic devices"

These days, even the dumbest cell phones have GPS in them. GPS can be used to tell speed. Any movement vehicle or otherwise over say 10MPH should lock out texting capabiliites in all phones. No override available in any way. Put a 5 minute delay on getting it back, to keep people from texting while sitting at an intersection. Sorry passengers this goes for you to. You can, oh no, talk to the other people in the car with you. This will never happen without a federal mandate so mandate away.
Are you being sarcastic?

This is a state issue and should be left as such. The feds have no business and should have no business passing laws like this or telling/encouraging states to make such laws.

I can say since CA has banned cell use and texting while driving, it has stopped no one. Driving a truck I can see down into most cars I pass or that pass me. You would not believe the number of people texting in their lap. I feel the law has made it more dangerous because now people try to text and hide at the same time, meaning they are now spending even less time focusing on the road. Before they would hold the phone on the steering wheel with their eyes looking at both the road and the phone at the same time, as opposed to looking down at their lap taking all of their focus away from the road.

I agree.

While I won't text while driving, I will reply to someone occasionally if I am at a stop light.
Also, before they worry about the cell phone texting issue, they better start fining those that are doing thier make up and shaving while going down the road.

That is much more distracting that having a conversation with someone using a hands free device.

While your at it, may as well put companies like OnStar out of business as that is a huge part of thier business, being able to talk from thier home, your car has it's OWN phone number for gosh sakes.

Welcome to the police state. Unfortunately, with NDAA and SOPA both apparently about to become law, this is the least of our worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)