nubee, yet another installation question...

HPIA4v2

Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
PNW
I order international, sport and AT250 package, the installer came out and said:
1) I need two dishes installed .
2) won't be able to get HD due to trees in LOS.

So I ent to dishpointer.com and found a spot in the front yard where I can put a post and points to Dish 1000+, here my questions:
1) what's the width of clearance do I need to get all 4 satellites (seems like 110 through 129 degree indicates I need a good +/- 10 degree from center direction pointed by dishpointer.com). Well I don't have a full 20-degree clearance.
2) Is it true installer shy-away from 1000+ due to cost, I am new Dish customer so installation was promised as FREE.

Thanks.

For your international you would need to see sat 118. Where are you located? This would determine if the installation typically would be and eastern or western setup. A post installation would not be included in a new customer free install. How far from your house and the location of the sat boxes would this post need to be? There are distance limits as to how far the dish can be from the receivers on a standard RG6 install.

I am in Pacific Northwest so that would be WA installation I guess.
My concern is I have limited window of azimuth, I am LOS is clear of obstacle (but this direction is based of a single line) accordig to dishpointer direction. I have trees about 8-degree South from that dishpointer direction line, off the 1000+ multi-LNB direction.

The pole will be 25ft from the side of the house, where I plan to have SW44 with power inserter put in. then about 50-70ft to my Hopper/Joey from the switch. So here I am fine I think.

Ok, Western is what your install should be. You are good to go with 50-70' Now as to line of sight that's something I can't tell you without being there. You can use the dishpointer app for iPhone/Android as a guide however that's not perfect. You're install however is not going to be covered for free even if they can get line of sight for all birds. So if it is able to be done you can expect some additional charges. You're best bet here is to find a dish reseller/installer locally and have them come out to your location and eye things up for you. A local shop can check out possible install locations and give you options. Perhaps going to an eastern setup to get you national hds foregoing your locals with a secondary at 118 for your internationals. It's all hard to say without being there but that's going to be your best bet to get the install done. When you call dish or order online they are going to expect a standard install and not be prepared for your setup.

Thanks for the response.

Dish is sending another installer next.
I have no problem paying some out of pocket for install as long I got good and reliable signals.
So is there any ball-park figure if 1000+ type install (dish, switch and coax) cost new customer?

So is there any ball-park figure if 1000+ type install (dish, switch and coax) cost new customer?

If the install is through Dish, the extra cost might be in the extra coax burial beyond 50 feet. I would message someone at DIRT and ask them what their usual costs are for pole mount and burying cable. They should be able to give you a better confirmation on the overall costs too. You'll probably end up having to get the utilities marked before anyone is willing to bury the cable.

here's a recent thread on pole mounting: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/282536-Pole-mount-and-burying-of-the-cable

For DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team)....

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)
It's a much more reliable and easier way to contact Dish than calling up over the phone or using online chat

If you get an in-house installer the pole installation will require a follow up appointment but will be free. At least that's the case at my shop. We do not charge for cable burial or the pole. Also, the DPP 1000+ does not require the 44 switch.

Too bad guys, there is no LOS for 129W bird so I can only get SD so no go. Dish just cancel my work order, well that's the price living in evergreen state, so many tall tress. I might try DirecTV next cause I think my South is more open than West side, will see. Thanks for all the helps.

Too bad guys, there is no LOS for 129W bird so I can only get SD so no go. Dish just cancel my work order, well that's the price living in evergreen state, so many tall tress. I might try DirecTV next cause I think my South is more open than West side, will see. Thanks for all the helps.

You saying no HD for nationals, locals or both? Even though you should be a WA install you might be able to get LOS to EA but that would be an issue for your locals unless you can do OTA for your locals.

I assume national HD.
I barely squeeze 110W bird, anything more east of that is impossible to see (more bigger and taller trees); so I guess the EA setting will be out of the questions also.

I assume national HD.
I barely squeeze 110W bird, anything more east of that is impossible to see (more bigger and taller trees); so I guess the EA setting will be out of the questions also.

Check it out, see if you have LOS to 61.5 and 72.7

Dish has a 5 degree clearence rule that's 5 up down and left to right you need 110 118.7 (international) 119 and 129 (HD) that's for 1 dish you can do a wing dish for 118.7 and a seperate dish for 61.5 and 72.7 and if needed 77 but like that you can only have HD equipment on your account or another option is 118.7 as a wing and 110 119 AMD 129 as a separate dish and trunk 118.7 in the other dish a lot of different options out there just need to have the best setup where I live we can't really get 129 so we go to the eastern arc (61.5, 72.7 and 77) 129 here only sits at 21 degrees over the horizon here so we can't get it you just need a tech that isn't lazy and is willing to do the work longer setup but not hard at all

Getting a wing dish for 118 is next to impossible with a single lnb. The only practical way is to put up an old dp 500+ and run the line off the 118 port into a 44 switch or a dpp lnb.

Yep, if you need a wing for 118.7 it's gotta be a 500+ dish, a regular 18 inch wing dish and normal DP LNB will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)