Number of Boxes/Receivers Allowed in One Home

jetpilot

Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
katy
Help please......

Been a Dish Sat customer for many years..... recently moved into a bigger home with many more tv's and now Dish customer service is saying that I can't have/bring all my privately owned boxes with me. They are actually wanting me to get and PAY FOR two separate accounts.

Anyone here know what their normal "box" limit is in one home?

Tell them your second account is going to be with Direct TV and after you get it you're going to cancel your first account.

Ridiculous policy, particularly for owned receivers. How many receivers are we discussing here? If all these receivers are currently on your account, you can always have somebody else install the new dishes rather than going with Dish Mover (if that's what you're asking for). Or have Dish Mover install whatever their limit is, and then hire an installer to add the rest.

Also it might be possible to appeal to executive resolutions (the ceo at echostar address).

More than 6 boxes (I have heard of exceptions made to allow 7) then Dish, or almost anyone else, would presume that you are a commercial customer who ought to pay the commercial rate or have 2 residential accounts. Not perfect, but perfectly reasonable given how many merchants are dishonest and do exactly as you are attempting. I have no reason to believe that you are, indeed, as you say you are, a residential subscriber who wants only to activate his boxes in his own home. However, if I ran Dish Network, I would say "No," as well, knowing how many cheating merchants, bar owners, etc. there are out there. There just isn't any real way for Dish to know. 6 boxes gives you a maximum of 12 tuners! More than that sounds like a business (commercial account) to me. 12 tuners is perfectly reasonable for plenty of homes.

As for the Direct TV "threat," try convincing them that you should not be considered a commercial account, either. Good Luck! They have the same attitude when it comes to the maximum # STB's on a residential account. In fact, all the providers will think you are a commercial entity trying to get residential prices. All the sat, cable, etc. companies know there are businesses out there cheating them, and they don't want to facilitate any more. Just about all on this board have seen such installations. Try looking at it from their view, and it will seem reasonable.

Last edited:
I understand your situation. We have six HDTVs, and there are only two of us at home--except when we have company visit. We drive two of the smaller TVs with SD, and have four DVRS: leased 722k, two leased 612, and one owned 622.

FYI, I mentioned this to Charlie at the Denver get-together. He seemed a bit surprised that regular folks would have so many HDTVs. In the conversation, I pushed for finding a way to get HD out of TV2 feeds. Engineering folks then tap danced when Charlie asked them how they were coming with that.

More than 6 boxes (I have heard of exceptions made to allow 7) then Dish, or almost anyone else, would presume that you are a commercial customer who ought to pay the commercial rate or have 2 residential accounts. Not perfect, but perfectly reasonable given how many merchants are dishonest and do exactly as you are attempting. I have no reason to believe that you are, indeed, as you say you are, a residential subscriber who wants only to activate his boxes in his own home. However, if I ran Dish Network, I would say "No," as well, knowing how many cheating merchants, bar owners, etc. there are out there. There just isn't any real way for Dish to know. 6 boxes gives you a maximum of 12 tuners! More than that sounds like a business (commercial account) to me. 12 tuners is perfectly reasonable for plenty of homes.

As for the Direct TV "threat," try convincing them that you should not be considered a commercial account, either. Good Luck! They have the same attitude when it comes to the maximum # STB's on a residential account. In fact, all the providers will think you are a commercial entity trying to get residential prices. All the sat, cable, etc. companies know there are businesses out there cheating them, and they don't want to facilitate any more. Just about all on this board have seen such installations. Try looking at it from their view, and it will seem reasonable.

Why not just send a local E* tech to verify the account and be done with it instead of pissing off a subscriber? They also have the audit available to them if they suspect a masquerading account. I do agree that 12 tuners should satisfy 99.9% of residential accounts. Maybe the limit should be 12 tuners and not 6 receivers. Assume a family with 4 kids living at home. How unusual would it be for each kid to have his own small TV and 211? Add receivers for Mom and Dad's bedroom and for the kitchen and family room and you're up to 7 receivers pretty fast.

6 duals tuners gives 12 separate feeds.. However 6 feeds would not be HD. Considering I have 7 HD TV's at my house that would be unsatisfactory for me. But since there are only two of us in the house, I get away with using the HDMI and Component Outputs to split some signals to multiple TV's. But then I have Dish Network and DirecTV installed at my house. So I can have all I want if I choose too. Personaly, I think Dish needs to move into the 21st century and realize that Analog is dead and the dual tuners need a dual HD output somehow.. With Analog signals cut now, How long till the New TV's start coming without an analog tuner built in.

there are 12 tuner res accounts out there, but all of your receivers have to be connected to a phone line as the equip verification team will check. if they arent, you get an equip lock and cant add anything else. no more than 6 leased tuners is the rule

Help please......

Been a Dish Sat customer for many years..... recently moved into a bigger home with many more tv's and now Dish customer service is saying that I can't have/bring all my privately owned boxes with me. They are actually wanting me to get and PAY FOR two separate accounts.

Anyone here know what their normal "box" limit is in one home?
Incredible.
There is a way around this. Invite them to audit your system.
Make sure all boxes are connected to phone lines and have them ping the receivers.

even in a bar it would be easy to connect 12 tuners to phone lines. one would just need to sign up for vonage and then connect the recievers (probably all in a rack mount anyway) to the vonage router with phone splitters. the vonage router can be assigned to a residential service account and there you go.

even in a bar it would be easy to connect 12 tuners to phone lines. one would just need to sign up for vonage and then connect the recievers (probably all in a rack mount anyway) to the vonage router with phone splitters. the vonage router can be assigned to a residential service account and there you go.

Dish should have but one concern. Accumulating paying customers and keeping them.
Dish should place as few restrictions on acquring services as long as it is profitable.
A low pct profit is better than no profit at all.

Dish should have but one concern. Accumulating paying customers and keeping them.
Dish should place as few restrictions on acquring services as long as it is profitable.
A low pct profit is better than no profit at all.

limited accounts to only 6 tuners is not going to upset that many people. however, opening it up would allow a lot of commercial accounts to try and pass as residential. the results would be getting ripped off more often at the advantage of only gaining a few more subscribers. simple business really

limited accounts to only 6 tuners is not going to upset that many people. however, opening it up would allow a lot of commercial accounts to try and pass as residential. the results would be getting ripped off more often at the advantage of only gaining a few more subscribers. simple business really

Ok..t isn't as though there are 450 sports bars per square mile trying to acquire Dish services as though the bars were residences. I understand the desire on the part of Dish to charge more for locations where mass viewing is possible.
Let's not get off track here. ]
I still maintain that any customer who wishes to use 6 or more tuners can simply invite an audit by connecting all recivers to a phone line and agree to allow Dish to ping the recivers at any time to insure their location.
D* used to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)