Number of timer limit needs to go away.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
It's time the E* got rid of the limitation of only 96 timers on the VIP DVR's. Since I almost never (maybe 2% of time) do i watch "live TV. It's a pain in the a55 to run into the 96 and have to delete timers of shows that aren't active now but will be again in few months.

There are a lot of shows on certain networks that only have a few episodes a year (like on Nat Geo, history, etc). When I got my 922 I started to move my timers over from my 622. I had 58 timers on the 622. A month later now I have about 20 left to move. I cannot move them until they come back in the guide. So, I look once a week a the schedule on the 622 and see if there is anything new to move.

96 timers?? WOW!

It's really easy to hit 96, especially if you're recording a bunch of one off events (like movies). Every once in a while, I'll look through the premiums and pick out a week's worth of movies that I don't have archived yet and set a bunch of timers. I've definitely hit the 96 limit before while doing that.

Wow, we only have 49 timers at the moment. Some are 1-time events coming up like golf, etc. I guess I could see how reaching the 90's could happen. We just don't follow too many shows. For some reason, we get into shows after they hit DVD or Blu-Ray and we fall in love then. Lost, Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc. The most unforgivable example for us is Arrested Development. We never even knew about it when it was on the air. We both consider it to be the single best TV series to come a long since Seinfeld.

Many years ago my wife entered over 75 timers in our new spiffy 721 and put it into endless reboot. software had no limits. wierdly most timers were for cooking shows, but jen rarely cooked.

Many years ago my wife entered over 75 timers in our new spiffy 721 and put it into endless reboot. software had no limits. wierdly most timers were for cooking shows, but jen rarely cooked.

Ha Ha! We love watching a lot of the cooking shows. Now with HD and good audio, they are so much fun to watch. We are both on low fat, lots of veggies diets so we can't eat most of the food they show but it is fun to watch.

All those with the same name should be Dish Pass with HD preferred or HD only.

I would like more timers because I use them as a wish/to-be-done list and that fills half of the lists on 2 722s. I've also filled the search lists but why should I have to go through that weekly, one at a time. At least it searches a lot faster than the 921 did. I do have a bigger list on IMDb but while they show them being shown somewhere, they only list the channels for my local cable, which has no HD nor most of my premiums--anyone know a way to get a satellite list there?

Add to that the daily and weekly shows and you cannot look very far ahead for more one-time ones. I need lots of timers with the TCM library to re-record, even if it is not full HD, yet. Then there is Retro and Indie with guess if it will be HD. For that matter, I could swear I saw The Abyss in 2.20:1 HD once but all that shows now is 1.33. Bah on alleged HD channels.

-Ken

I'm with the OP. Although now I am down to about 55 timers, that is because I had the RMA the previous box which had nearly 96. Well, I missed a few shows as they had season premiers because I didn't remember to re-enter them into the new box. I almost would have missed the forthcoming season premier of Ice Road Truckers because I forgot to enter that timer as well. about a year ago, I did hit the 96 timer wall

The reason the 96 timer limit should be increased is that, as mentioned by other posters, we want/need to leave a timer still in the list after it ends its season, such as Ice Road Truckers. It would be several months before a new season of shows. Leaving the timer in memory means the DVR will record that show when NEW episodes resume. These are the vast majority of my timers. And it should be noted that the channels don't always advertise forthcoming NEW episodes. Also, the channels never make it clear if it is the end of the entire series or if they will be back with new episodes. Each time Deadliest Catch ends a season, I keep thinking that may be the end because they never tell us. I know Deadliest Catch is hugely popular, but that doesn't guarantee a life for the next season.

One really good example is the show The Verminators. It was airing during the prime-time weekly schedule, quite easy to verify if a show will be premiering. However, several months after the end of new episodes, I notice that The Verminators airing several NEW episodes back-to-back on a Sunday MORNING starting about 6AM PST. It was because I did not erase the timer, but left it memory that the DVR caught the very unusual airing that was NEVER repeated.

In addition, for almost a year no new Air Emergency new episodes, then I notice out of the blue ONE brand new episode to air, but leaving the timer in memory for almost a year allowed me to record and watch that episode. Heck, for those Dancing with the stars and American Idol type shows, you had better not delete the timers as they can premiere just about any day of the year.

The 96 timer limit is more pressing for family households and those of us who DO NOT want to erase our timers because we need it to catch new episodes without thought--is the not the point of a DVR--especially when a channels will air new episodes at really odd times, and often NOT repeat them. So, this is not such an outrageous desire for more than 96 timers.

All those with the same name should be Dish Pass with HD preferred or HD only.

I would like more timers because I use them as a wish/to-be-done list and that fills half of the lists on 2 722s. I've also filled the search lists but why should I have to go through that weekly, one at a time. At least it searches a lot faster than the 921 did. I do have a bigger list on IMDb but while they show them being shown somewhere, they only list the channels for my local cable, which has no HD nor most of my premiums--anyone know a way to get a satellite list there?

Add to that the daily and weekly shows and you cannot look very far ahead for more one-time ones. I need lots of timers with the TCM library to re-record, even if it is not full HD, yet. Then there is Retro and Indie with guess if it will be HD. For that matter, I could swear I saw The Abyss in 2.20:1 HD once but all that shows now is 1.33. Bah on alleged HD channels.

-Ken

DishPass is great when a series airs on more than one channel. This was the case with Strange Creatures, and it is great for even broadcast LIL on a major broadcast network as NBC, for example, will repeat the episode on one of its "cable" channels such as Bravo or MSNBC, a great way to catch a show if it is not recorded due to priority.

As for old shows, I think The Golden Girls currently airs on Lifetime, WE, Hallmark, and possibly a 4th I may have forgotten, just as one example.

You do know that in Options of Dish Pass you can specify 1 channel to record from as well as HD only etc. and New only. This doesn't help if it might be on E W and other but you want to avoid the others with ads.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)