NY network feed waivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

buckspaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
why doesnt directv accept waiver requests to receive out of market feeds? I live 1000 feet from the philly nyc DMA boundary since my zipcode is philly DMA they will not even let me request waivers to receive nyc feeds. My address is located in both grade b signal of philly and nyc which both can be received OTA. The local cable company carries both philly and most nyc channels and my neighbor has dishtv and his waivers were granted for all nyc feeds. Whats interesting I have been granted access to receive YES and MSG sports channels from NY.
The lobbyists and broadcasters that pushed for these censorship rules through congress are complete idiots. It just amazing how a electronic signal can be controlled to conform to politcal boundries even when your address is within a stations' service area: there was no thought or logic what so ever to secondary markets or adjacent markets or consideration given to the households that border two DMA actually generate revenue in both DMAs when these bills were signed into law...........................................................................

Last edited:
I live in connecticut and was promised all local networks in hd. Well, they couldn't deliver on their promise but did give me the ny locals in hd except for cbs. I receive yes, sny and nesn (red sox) but can only can get yes on hd. ny is two hours down the road from me and boston is one and a hlf hours down the road from me. So i get the yankess but not the mets or red sox in hd. I don't know how they figure out their territories but it seems pretty stupid since boston is closer to me than ny and Queens is 10 minutes from the Bronx, it's clear this is political like everything else in this country. No common sense.

bobraus said:
I live in connecticut and was promised all local networks in hd. Well, they couldn't deliver on their promise but did give me the ny locals in hd except for cbs. I receive yes, sny and nesn (red sox) but can only can get yes on hd. ny is two hours down the road from me and boston is one and a hlf hours down the road from me. So i get the yankess but not the mets or red sox in hd. I don't know how they figure out their territories but it seems pretty stupid since boston is closer to me than ny and Queens is 10 minutes from the Bronx, it's clear this is political like everything else in this country. No common sense.

Have you read any of the threads on this issue? Only the dma of the rsn is receiving the hd feed, except for the games on channel 95, which is a CONUS feed. A little research goes a long way.

Censorship?

It isn't really censorship if you can't get distant networks, it's all about local advertising revenue.

adkinsjm said:
It isn't really censorship if you can't get distant networks, it's all about local advertising revenue.

LET me clarify. I somewhat agree if you live hundreds of miles away for a market you should Not have a right to get another markets channels if you are getting locals!

It is CENSORSHIP if you can receive another market's channels if you live within a few miles of a DMA boundary especially when you are within both GRADE B signal coutours and 50% the local residents in a zipcode are generating revenue in both markets because both cities suburbs are 35-45 minutes away. These laws are flawed.

Wondering why Canada is has no laws protecting local revenue as you can watch any market regardless of where you are on cable or satellite.. oops forgot they aren't very uptight on lots of things :) and their tv programming reflects it. i miss bellexpressvu already

Last edited:
buckspaul said:
LET me clarify. I somewhat agree if you live hundreds of miles away for a market you should Not have a right to get another markets channels if you are getting locals!

It is CENSORSHIP if you can receive another market's channels if you live within a few miles of a DMA boundary especially when you are within both GRADE B signal coutours and 50% the local residents in a zipcode are generating revenue in both markets because both cities suburbs are 35-45 minutes away. These laws are flawed.

Wondering why Canada is has no laws protecting local revenue as you can watch any market regardless of where you are on cable or satellite.. oops forgot they aren't very uptight on lots of things :) and their tv programming reflects it. i miss bellexpressvu already

I'm the first person to say that the laws are absolutely ridiculous. I can get the SD feed of NBC NY (I'm in buffalo) but not the HD feed. As it was pointed out earlier, it is all about the advertising dollars. Censorship? That's a strong word. Remember that canadian media (radio and tv) are partially funded by the government. There is no way I'd want that model!

the funny thing here is that on cable I get Atlanta & Chattanooga, I can put up an antenna and get Atlanta, Chattanooga & some from South Carolina but D* only lets me have Atlanta...I don't care too much because Atlanta has better news than Chattanooga Although I am thinking about putting up a deep fringe antenna and rotor to see what I can get. You might be best to put up an antenna, if its HD you want you'll get much better PQ with an antenna vs D*'s hd light.

I do agree its a stupid law because I would still watch my local station most of the time, I would really like to be able to get the Cleveland Ohio locals just to keep up with things where I grew up.

Wondering why Canada is has no laws protecting local revenue as you can watch any market regardless of where you are on cable or satellite

Mainly because most of the networks are owned by the network. So CBC Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg are the same programming including commercials.

In areas where there are affiliates (like Thunder Bay, Lloydminster, Kamloops, Prince George) programs at the same time as those are blacked out or simsubbed in those markets only.

buckspaul said:
why doesnt directv accept waiver requests to receive out of market feeds? I live 1000 feet from the philly nyc DMA boundary since my zipcode is philly DMA they will not even let me request waivers to receive nyc feeds. My address is located in both grade b signal of philly and nyc which both can be received OTA. The local cable company carries both philly and most nyc channels and my neighbor has dishtv and his waivers were granted for all nyc feeds. Whats interesting I have been granted access to receive YES and MSG sports channels from NY.
The lobbyists and broadcasters that pushed for these censorship rules through congress are complete idiots. It just amazing how a electronic signal can be controlled to conform to politcal boundries even when your address is within a stations' service area: there was no thought or logic what so ever to secondary markets or adjacent markets or consideration given to the households that border two DMA actually generate revenue in both DMAs when these bills were signed into law...........................................................................

What's even more interesting is that the ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox stations in both New York and Philadelphia are all O&O's. CBS owns channel 2 in New York and 3 in Philadelphia, NBC owns channel 4 in New York and 10 in Philadelphia, Disney/ABC owns channel 7 in New York and 6 in Philadelphia, and Fox owns channel 5 in New York and 29 in Philadelphia.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)