NYC area - Why upgrade to 5 lnb?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I have H20s in 2 rooms, because D* upgraded my one HD receiver for free, and I took them up on their free H20 before 3/1/06 (cost 200 then 200 rebate). However, I never upgraded the dish, because when he came he said the snow would make it tough to do (made sense to me).

I currently have 1 line diplexed to get the cable modem up here to the office along with the TV, and I hear the 5LNB dish can not support that.

What benefit would I get to upgrade in the NYC area? I am a sunday ticket subscriber, so maybe there is benefit there?

D* will do the dish for me for free as they noted my account this is ok (being a 5 heart person doesn't hurt either).

Also: The room with the cable modem only has a regular receiver (NO HD). Can I diplex that line because I am not using the MPEG4 capabilities?

Last edited:
An AT9 dish/H20 receiver combo is required to pull local RSN and other MPEG4 feeds as the come online. I know your HD locals are currently still MPEG2 but I am not sure on the RSNs, I thin they are MPEG4. But keep your eye here, some NYC users will pop up.

YES HD MPEG4 on channel 96 went live recently, only available with the AT9. Also SNY HD, the METS channel, will be available in MPEG4 shortly as well. I imagine the MPEG2 HD NY channels will go away fairly soon after the HR20 becomes available which should be in a month or two based on todays news. Also with those t-storms that rolled through the tri-state earlier this evening I noticed my AT9 handled the rain better than my old Phase III. I'd say better for you to upgrade now before all the additional goodies start coming online unless you'd really rather have the Slimline Ka/Ku dish.

You're right, you will have to run another line for the cable modem.

PoitNarf said:
YES HD MPEG4 on channel 96 went live recently, only available with the AT9. Also SNY HD, the METS channel, will be available in MPEG4 shortly as well. I imagine the MPEG2 HD NY channels will go away fairly soon after the HR20 becomes available which should be in a month or two based on todays news. Also with those t-storms that rolled through the tri-state earlier this evening I noticed my AT9 handled the rain better than my old Phase III. I'd say better for you to upgrade now before all the additional goodies start coming online unless you'd really rather have the Slimline Ka/Ku dish.

You're right, you will have to run another line for the cable modem.
That slimline thing is definitely something I can go for because the dish is on my roof... I already have a tripod up in 1 corner because of an idiot installer putting the dish there, and then the dish in the middle of the roof because someone who knew what was doing came back.

I get a lot of the Yankee games on 95 though.. not all, but a good amount. I'd like to get the MEts in HD, and I do not want to miss any football from Sunday Ticket.. which I got last yr in HD (that reminds me, I have to call and bitch so I do not have to pay for Super Fan again this year since I got it for free last yr too)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
PoitNarf said:
I imagine the MPEG2 HD NY channels will go away fairly soon after the HR20 becomes available which should be in a month or two based on todays news.

I doubt they will for a while yet. Remember, those are still being used to fill the HD void for DMAs that don't have their HD locals yet.

Right now the Locals are in MPEG 2 & 4 in HD right now because we get the national feeds in NYC. There will be no more MPEG 2 Yankee games so you will need the 5 LNB for them, as well as the soon to be Mets HD games.
They have said that the ST HD will still be in MPEG 2 so you should be ok with that.

When are they shutting off the MPEG2 Yankee games on 95? This can't happen until the HR20 arrives in NY, can it?

I think they did it already. Look at the guide for todays game. On my H20 I have it on 96. There is no 96 on my HR10 250.

chazcbh said:
I think they did it already. Look at the guide for todays game. On my H20 I have it on 96. There is no 96 on my HR10 250.

Whoa whoa - cart waaay before horse here.

1) There will be games in MPEG4 that will not be in MPEG2 (today's is an example of that)

2) MPEG2 games should still be available in some quantities going forward, as MLB EI subs would be pretty mad if they couldn't get games (remember, all MPEG4 stuff is currently spotbeamed, so out-of-market games aren't available)

MPEG 2 games are available to the rest of the country. It looks like they are local to you because most of what they show is the lousy NY teams!

NVBlue said:
MPEG 2 games are available to the rest of the country. It looks like they are local to you because most of what they show is the lousy NY teams!

Don't know what NY teams you are referring to - according to the standings neither is lousy - 1 is in first by over 12 games, the other is in the wild card lead and only half game out of first. :hatsoff:

apparentyl SNY HD has been added as of today as an mpeg 4 channel (97) in nyc. we'll see tonight...

Spoke to DTV retention manager yesterday due to all the conflicting info. on here, can get RSN's with 3LNB, all the 5 is needed for right now and for the immediate future is locals in some or rather most areas. That will change eventually but not for a while. So your RSN games will be fine.

Are you sure they knew you were asking about MPEG4 HD RSNs? Because those can't be received with a PhaseIII dish.

No, I don't even know what that means. I was pretty clear that I asked them 5 times can I get the Grizzlies and Predators games spotbeamed to me on FSN South with the three LNB and the reciever I am getting. If I can't, i'll call them back. Told me they would send me an MPEG 4 but it has no TIVO. I want Tivo, they told me no Tivo MPEG 4 yet anyway, so it won;t matter without Tivo to me, i'll willingly do without.

RSNs already come in an SD (standard def) feed that can be received via the older dish setups and some RSNs may have a few speradic games on in MPEG2 HD; BUT what all these other users were talking about is the new HD (hig def) RSNs that are coming online; they require the new ATP and H20 MPEG4 setup.

If the DirecTV person did not know it was those new HD feeds you were asking about then they couldn't give the most correct answer.

Bottom line, if you want MPEG4 anything, you NEED that AT9 and H20; there should be no conflicting info with that. The MPEG4 DVR should be out soon, but AFAIK its not going to be TiVo anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts