NYC Channel 96 97 8MM Effect - MPEG4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elkiehound

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
The local RSNs (Yes and SNY) broadcast HD pictures on channels 96 and 97 in the New York Metro area. These were part of the August announcement to begin broadcast of regional sports networks in MPEG-4 in select markets.

Since day 1, these channels suffer from the 8mm effect whenever there is motion, such as the pitcher throwing the ball. I have called retention and Level 2 support at least 6 times and they say there is a transmission problem and that it is being worked on.

This has been widely reported on other sites, however nothing seems to be getting done to fix the root cause. It is absolutely a mpeg-4 problem, because at times the same game is broadcast on 95 which is mpeg-2 with good quality.

They want to move to MPEG-4 for obvious reasons with MPEG-2 bandwidth, yet can't seem to get a decent picture for MONTHS.

Can someone report when this will be fixed so we can watch baseball on these channels, there are only two weeks left in the season, then hockey will start and they are suppose to add MSG (per press release) which will be horrible to view like this.

Which MPEG4 receiver are you using? I'm curious because I was thinking of upgrading to MPEG4 and I happen to live in the NY area.

You can find many posts about this issue if you search. It has been going on with many mpeg 4 channels, not just rsns since they launched. It appears to effect 1080i channels mainly, which are mostly rsns unfortunately and cbs and nbc locals. Abc and fox are at 720. It doesnt matter if you are using the h20 or hr20 dvr.

It really is inexcusable it has been going on this long, even in markets with locals since late 2005. Of course there are other issues besides this with mpeg 4 locals in many places like lip synch, pixelation, and audio/video drops that have been going on for months too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts