NYC HD spotbeam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

matty8199

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Can someone tell me what satellite and transponder the NYC MPEG4 locals (including SNY and YES) are on? Also, does anyone know how far these beams travel?

I'm located in eastern PA and am within the SD spotbeam from NYC (I know this because I can receive NYC locals), will I also be within the HD spotbeam? How much of a variation is there?

There are no specific shapes and sizes to spot beams. It is DMA/area dependent and determining how much overlap is kind of trial and error and communication with other area residents to gain a pattern of knowledge. I am not in your area, but you being in eastern PA (what is your zip) NYC spot likely overlaps .

There are no specific shapes and sizes to spot beams. It is DMA/area dependent and determining how much overlap is kind of trial and error and communication with other area residents to gain a pattern of knowledge. I am not in your area, but you being in eastern PA (what is your zip) NYC spot likely overlaps .

I am in 17951 zip, Scranton-Wilkes Barre DMA. I'm 120 miles (give or take a few) from NYC.

The NYC MPEG4 locals are on 99, right? Can anyone tell me what transponder? My friend has an HR20, I can have him test it this afternoon...

I'm located in eastern PA and am within the SD spotbeam from NYC (I know this because I can receive NYC locals),

do you receive all the NY stations or just the Big 4?

Big 4 stations are CONUS (whole US) so I could get them in MN.

do you receive all the NY stations or just the Big 4?

Big 4 stations are CONUS (whole US) so I could get them in MN.

I get them all - the big four and all of the others as well. This is how I know I'm within the SD spotbeam...

on edit: I believe I'm probably right on the fringe of the beam, though - which is why I'm concerned about whether or not I'm within the HD beam. I get daily fluctuations on my signal strengths for the other SD locals...every day in the mid-afternoon, over a period of about 4-6 hours, it'll drop to about 60 or so for about 20-30 minutes, then work its way back up to the low 90s - although it seems this only happens in the winter (at least I haven't noticed it in the summer months).

OK, here are my friend's signal strengths on 99 and 103...

99 sat: 86 0 80 6 32 66
103 sat: 10 89 45 96 31 88 0

As long as the NYC locals are on 99 tp1 and tp3 we should be fine I guess. Does anyone know for sure what TPs they're on?

A freind of mine from NJ used to pick up the SD feeds of DC, Baltimore, Boston, Philly and NYC locals that are spot beamed. So I would guess that the SD beam is about a 200-250 mile radius.

Last edited by a moderator:
A freind of mine from NJ used to pick up the SD feeds of DC, Baltimore, Boston, Philly and NYC locals that are spot beamed. So I would guess that the SD beam is about a 200-250 mile radius.

I know you are not condoning hacking, but you may want to edit the part

"back in the old "*********days"

to just "back in the day" to keep the board on the safest side.. You never know who is reading or how they will try to twist things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not interested in hacking or in any way stealing programming from D*, I pay my bill every month. I just want to be able to see all of the Mets games (including those on CW11) is all...this is my only option for doing that.

Anyhoo, for anyone that's interested, we are in fact inside the HD spotbeam as well for NYC. My friend "moved" to NY earlier today, and does in fact receive all of the MPEG4 locals as well as YES and SNY. It appears they NYC MPEG4 locals are on TP1 and TP3 of the 99 sat...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)