O and A taking over for Roth?

minorthr

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2004
earth
Take this with a big grain of salt

RUMOR ALERT: O&A To Replace David Lee Roth?

From Ohio Media Watch website (http://www.ohiomedia.blogspot.com/)

RUMOR ALERT: O&A To Replace DLR?

A heads up about this one. It's a post from Allan Sniffen, owner of the popular New York Radio Message Board, with a rumor that would appear to be somewhat unconfirmed.

We only post it here because, well, it's interesting...and Sniffen at least seems to be connected to the New York City radio rumor mill.

Sniffen says the rumor would have former CBS/Infinity afternoon bad boys Opie & Anthony, now heard on XM Satellite Radio, return to over-air radio to take over for embattled Howard Stern replacement David Lee Roth "in multiple markets". He cautions that it's just a rumor at this time, and it's not something he believes "positively is going to happen"...he says it *may* happen.

The rumor is that O&A would continue their show on XM, and that it'd be sort of a joint venture between CBS and the satellite company - presumably with the show continuing to air uncensored in its XM incarnation, while the over-air version would air on the "Free FM" stations carrying it.

He also doesn't have any details on the "multiple markets" involved, though one presumes that Cleveland would be on the list. O&A did quite well in the ratings in their brief stint in afternoon on then-WXTM/92.3, now WXRK "K-Rock". And Cleveland is one of DLR's markets. So WTAM/1100 afternoon motormouth Mike Trivisonno can continue to breathe, we'll remind the 'TAMers that this rumor would involve morning drive, not afternoons.

Again, just a rumor at this point with no confirmation, though Sniffen certainly has his ear to the NYC radio rumor mill. It's just something to think about at this point...

The Tate said:
The O&A army would love that.
Of course they would, then they can ditch XM and get Sirius while keeping O&A :p .

All kidding aside, I wonder what XM would get out of the deal. It seems that CBS/Infinity would have to pay a pretty penny for what used to be a premium channel on XM.

CBS/Infinity needs something.... FreeFM is terrible.

the sound friday was bad I thought it was my radio. The broadcast wasnt as loud as normal. Also I cant see how this works. If its on a one day tape delay that kind of takes away from the point of the show which is fan participation. You cant call into a show thats a day old. Also it would have to be on an enourmous delay and sometimes you wouldnt get to hear anything.

File this under "Yeah, right". Besides, that bridge was burned, plowed over, dug up, and burned again.

O&A said they were on a year to year contract with XM.

I catch the afternoon replay. I will report back if they say anything about it.

Well they maybe two losers, but I know they had huge audiences in Philly, NY and Cleveland other markets I'm not sure about. If they get only half of that back it is still boat loads more listeners then Roth has.

The only thing that I can find in the legitimate media is that O&A said they are talking to a media company but that they did not name which one. I have trouble seeing how this would work. If the XM feed is really stuff that would be censored elsewhere exactly hat will be on terrestrial radio---a truncated and censored version of the previous day's XM broadcast?

O&A have said a lot of odd things on the air or promised an announcement that never came---like when they hinted about Don & Mike coming over. So i wait for a real announcement.

minorthr said:
Take this with a big grain of salt

RUMOR ALERT: O&A To Replace David Lee Roth?

From Ohio Media Watch website (http://www.ohiomedia.blogspot.com/)

RUMOR ALERT: O&A To Replace DLR?

A heads up about this one. It's a post from Allan Sniffen, owner of the popular New York Radio Message Board, with a rumor that would appear to be somewhat unconfirmed.

We only post it here because, well, it's interesting...and Sniffen at least seems to be connected to the New York City radio rumor mill.

Sniffen says the rumor would have former CBS/Infinity afternoon bad boys Opie & Anthony, now heard on XM Satellite Radio, return to over-air radio to take over for embattled Howard Stern replacement David Lee Roth "in multiple markets". He cautions that it's just a rumor at this time, and it's not something he believes "positively is going to happen"...he says it *may* happen.

The rumor is that O&A would continue their show on XM, and that it'd be sort of a joint venture between CBS and the satellite company - presumably with the show continuing to air uncensored in its XM incarnation, while the over-air version would air on the "Free FM" stations carrying it.

He also doesn't have any details on the "multiple markets" involved, though one presumes that Cleveland would be on the list. O&A did quite well in the ratings in their brief stint in afternoon on then-WXTM/92.3, now WXRK "K-Rock". And Cleveland is one of DLR's markets. So WTAM/1100 afternoon motormouth Mike Trivisonno can continue to breathe, we'll remind the 'TAMers that this rumor would involve morning drive, not afternoons.

Again, just a rumor at this point with no confirmation, though Sniffen certainly has his ear to the NYC radio rumor mill. It's just something to think about at this point...
Sniffen is a Dentist with too much time on his hands

Apparently O&A have backed off saying they are going. It could still happen but they have a tendency to inflate things to get people listening.

I never cared for them. But to each their own. That is why the radio has a dial.

juan said:
Sniffen is a Dentist with too much time on his hands

I have been a long time member of the New York Radio and Message Board. And Alan while he is a dentist is also one of the most powerfull people in NY radio.

When Alan says something everyone takes notice, and I would say 90% of what Alan reports as rumors comes true. I have friends at XM and know for a fact that something is in the works with O&A and I also know what Alan is saying is true.

I am told that its just a few sticking points which is holding back the deal, but those should be overcome.

Scott can you ask your freind at xm when the freaking Terk RDS adapter is coming out so I can put xm in my wifes Volvo and shut her up :D

As far as O and A go as I said before I cant see how this works. I know they said they got it all figured out and maybe they do but I just dont get it.

From all Access.COM

O&A Tell Hannity CBS Negotiations "At A Standstill"

The day after getting HOWARD STERN to admit that he'd asked for rivals OPIE AND ANTHONY to be banned from talking about him when they all worked for INFINITY, ABC RADIO's SEAN HANNITY, guesting on O&A's WEDNESDAY morning XM SATELLITE RADIO show, asked the hosts about the rumors of their returning to CBS (the former INFINITY) to replace DAVID LEE ROTH and GREGG "OPIE" HUGHES told him "ah, let's say they're, they're... we have, um, we've been negotiating with them for a few weeks now, yes.... we got some major hurdles that have occurred on that."

"We would never compromise the integrity- if that's an odd word to use for this program, but we see it that way- the integrity of the satellite radio program that people have enjoyed now for over a year and a half," ANTHONY CUMIA added, noting that it was presented to them two and a half weeks ago as "a done deal" but that additional issues rose that have thrown the deal into question. Asked where the deal stands, OPIE said "we're kinda at a standstill at this point," adding that if HANNITY had asked the question a week ago, he would have said it was "90%."

CBS is looking at another alternative. It involves somebody who calls himself "Geronimo."

minorthr said:
Well they maybe two losers, but I know they had huge audiences in Philly, NY and Cleveland other markets I'm not sure about. If they get only half of that back it is still boat loads more listeners then Roth has.

There is this myth that O&A were hugely successful in syndication and they really were not. They were successful in a few markets but they lost market share that D&M had in many others (e.g. in Washington DC the Infinity station went from 1st place to 17th) and moving D&M to midday was an unmitigated disaster.

Last edited:
D&M had an older Demo though, O&A did win the demograpic the radio station wanted them to go after.

That was a different show then, as well. It has changed significantly from the broadcast radio days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)