O and A taking over for Roth?

Two points . First it won that demo only inn certain markets not all. Second if it is a different show now----will it be allowed on broadcast radio?

The rumor makes no sense. Let me make sure I understand. XM (and Sirius) is embarking on a business model that want to bury free radio by offering a compelling radio experience that is supremely better than free radio. In order to do that they are signing up all kinds of exclusive entertainers/musical personalities. Sure they are losing money hand over fist but they are a startup. Now they want to offer some of that exclusive talent to their competition, they make some money off it but they are cheapining their product. That is kind of like the Pepsi vs. Coke war and Coke offering their Diet Coke product to Pepsi for a fee. Will never happen.

And another thought. Free radio would never ever broadcast an XM personality that has been censored on the Free radio because the consumer would consider paying for the full uncensored program. Makes no business sense.

theebdk,

There are many programs on xm "I cannot speak for sirius" that are on free radio and satellite radio. Now none are uncensored channels.

The only way I can see this working is like minorthr said earlier, they would have to be on a huge delay. O&A take breaks every 45 mins to an hour, so the time that the commercials are running on the free radio I believe is the time they would use to censor.

FWIW the are now reports that CBS is also talking to "The Junkies" who hold the slot in DC and Baltimore. It looks like they are keeping their options open.

There is just NO way they could do their current show on regular radio again. The FCC would take shots at them on a daily basis.

They will either have to tone it WAY down, or cut out 40% of their on air banter for repurposing elsewhere.....

Looks like this is really happening lots of news reports again today. And O and A for once are no comment. Although they made a bit out of it.

Apparently it is happening. Lots of news reports. They get the Roth stations and perhaps some others.

I hear the boys will be on CBS the first three hours (FCC Clean) and follow with the normal XM content for two hours. I am not sure how XM benefits from this new arrangement, if the rumors are indeed true. CBS sues over promotion of satellite radio on their airwaves, as we know.

Opie and Anthony may replace Diamond Dave

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12406276/

NEW YORK - No surprise: David Lee Roth's run as morning radio host is about done. Big surprise: It appears raunchy satellite radio stars Opie and Anthony will replace him on seven CBS Radio stations.

A deal was in the works to dump the ex-Van Halen singer's ratings-deprived program with shock jocks Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, according to two people with knowledge of the deal. They spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity pending an official announcement of the agreement next week.

Opie and Anthony were banished from terrestrial radio in 2002 — oddly enough by their new boss, CBS Radio — after airing a live account of listeners having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. CBS Radio was then known as Infinity Broadcasting.

Opie and Anthony resurfaced on XM in October 2004. The satellite radio provider has more than 6.5 million subscribers, with the Opie and Anthony show one of the most popular programs on its 170 channels.

XM will now syndicate the program to the stations in New York and six other markets, with three hours of the program airing on the CBS Radio stations, the people familiar with the deal said. XM will simultaneously broadcast that portion of the show, along with another two hours of exclusive O&A, they said.

A spokeswoman at CBS Radio declined to comment on the report, as did a spokesman for XM.

Roth's radio career began in January, when he replaced Howard Stern on the CBS stations. But reviews were poor and Roth fought with management over the show's format, putting the show on the skids less than four months into its run.

Roth, during one angry on-air rant, predicted the show could be yanked before May.

The move marks a shift in the dynamic between terrestrial and satellite radio. In the past, satellite raided terrestrial radio for big-name hosts such as Opie and Anthony or Stern. Now, the seven FM stations will rely on a syndicated satellite program.

In addition to the Free-FM station in New York, Opie and Anthony will reportedly air on WBCN-FM in Boston, WYSP-FM in Philadelphia, WRKZ-FM in Pittsburgh, WNCX-FM in Cleveland, WPBZ-FM in West Palm Beach, Fla., and KLLI-FM in Dallas.

Stern, who engaged in a lengthy on-air feud with Opie and Anthony, is in his first year of broadcasting for Sirius Satellite Radio. O&A will now fill in his old time slot.

Pretty good for some washed up has beens like everyone thinks right?

Sirius_Rich said:
I hear the boys will be on CBS the first three hours (FCC Clean) and follow with the normal XM content for two hours. I am not sure how XM benefits from this new arrangement, if the rumors are indeed true. CBS sues over promotion of satellite radio on their airwaves, as we know.

I would assume that they will have a contract that specifies that they can mention XM.

I wouldn't be too happy if I were an XM sub. I would be po'd if Stern had to water down 3 hours of his show for broadcast over "free fm". It also ruins the exclusivity that XM subs had for O&A.

Yes, but it will get better guests for the show, AND encourage free listeners to come to satellite for the unedited content.....

The problem is that they will be the FCC's bitches again.... THAT will be the main problem. They can yank the strings and make them dance again....

Chado said:
I wouldn't be too happy if I were an XM sub. I would be po'd if Stern had to water down 3 hours of his show for broadcast over "free fm". It also ruins the exclusivity that XM subs had for O&A.

QUOTE: angry typing guy

I DON'T KNOW WHY OPIE AND ANTHONY WANT TO GO BACK TO REGULAR RADIO!!!! ITS JUST GOING TO BE WATERED DOWN AND IS NOT GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS IT HAS!!!!

Still had Corrolla here (Phoenix) this morn. Only know because I checked... listened to Sirius for the bulk of my short commute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)