Obama Calls On FCC To Reclassify Internet And Implement Tough Net Neutrality Rules

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
UPDATES: This is a surprise that will thrill net neutrality supporters — but is contributing to a sharp drop this morning in the stock prices for cable broadband providers including Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Charter. President Obama said, in a statement, that the FCC should “reclassify consumer broadband service under Title II of the Telecommunications Act” — giving the agency broad authority to regulate the Internet as a phone-like communications service and a clear path to establish strong net neutrality rules. But he also asked regulators to promise not to dictate rates or rule on “other provisions less relevant to broadband services.”

More at deadline.com

Reactions: TheKrell
It would be interesting if and only if Congress were behind it.

The POTUS (regardless of who holds the office) can talk all he wants and it may be something that most of us can agree on but he doesn't have a role in the FCC policy-making process.

Heck yeah, they also did a great thing on Game of Thrones.

The only thing was they didn't call him "Canadian Senator Ted Cruz", which is the truth. But that's really nothing otherwise. Great article. ETA: So much so I Tweeted about it.

Last edited:
The only thing was they didn't call him "Canadian Senator Ted Cruz", which is the truth.

Ha! I didn't know Cruz was born in Alberta, CA just like my dad. Doesn't that disqualify him from running for President?

POTUS is scrambling to save his party.

What in the world does that have to due with net neutrality? Did you just see the word Obama and blirt that out?... This is a serious subject that has to be handled now.....They have been trying to pull this crap on us for 2 years now! It effects me and anyone else who uses the internet a lot!

I know its hard to keep the politics out of it... but keep the politics out of it. If you want to discuss the politics of it then please use The Pit forum here at SatelliteGuys, which is the only forum where political discussion is allowed.

Interesting that AT&T has claimed that they will stop rolling out gigapower... But, then surprise the FCC actually appears to be seriously responding!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...m_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tags

Update: The FCC, seeing that AT&T's is hitting Pause on its fiber network rollout, has sent an official Request for Information over to the telecom/broadband giant.

AT&T has stated that it will bring fiber to some two million homes that are part of the not-yet-official DirecTV acquisition, but that would be it for now. Future fiber rollout wouldn't be committed to until after the federal government settled on the future of net neutrality/open Internet regulations.

In response, the FCC's letter requests that AT&T send figures over related to the companies current fiber network, details pertaining to its original fiber network rollout strategy, and finally information related to AT&T's "new" fiber rollout plans.

The FCC also wants to know if the decision is tied to AT&T's views on fiber being profitable or not, along with any and all documents related to this week's developments.

AT&T has one week (until November 21st) to respond to the FCC. We will keep tabs on the information request over the coming days.

How is this a "pit" item... Unless you are referring to a discussion of this already going on in the "pit" which I do not visit...
Yes, it is on topic and well, first OFF IT'S IS VERY, VERY POLITICAL, AND IF I TALK ABOUT IT HERE I will break the rules and get kicked out so go there and read about it then tell me if it's not political or not?

If you're so upset about it send me a PM and I will talk to you about it

Do you agree with this, yes or no?
No throttling. Nor should ISPs be able to intentionally slow down some content or speed up others — through a process often called “throttling” — based on the type of service or your ISP’s preferences.

Last edited:
c
I know its hard to keep the politics out of it... but keep the politics out of it. If you want to discuss the politics of it then please use The Pit forum here at SatelliteGuys, which is the only forum where political discussion is allowed.
It's impossible to keep it from politics so please go there, I would hate to see satellite guys lose membership, that's why you must read about it, and fully understand it, it might be confusing at first, but that's the whole point of it, sometimes things look that way initially, invest time, or later wish you did

Reporting on factual news stories without political slants is hardly something that you have to worry about another member losing membership over... You also as a reader have a responsibility not to read politics into everything.

Reporting on factual news stories without political slants is hardly something that you have to worry about another member losing membership over... You also as a reader have a responsibility not to read politics into everything.

You are completely correct!.... I have no idea why anyone would like there internet throttled down because of success or a great new idea!

FCC proposes rule change that could kickstart internet TV
Internet TV may have just gotten the break it needed. The Federal Communications Commission officially proposed a rule change today that would give any company that wants to carry television shows the ability to license them from cable and broadcast networks. That's a big deal, because networks aren't required to negotiate with most companies in the same way that they negotiate with cable and satellite providers. If this proposal goes into effect, any company that wants to offer TV shows over the internet will have the same negotiating powers to do so as a traditional TV provider would, meaning that internet TV providers could finally get off the ground.
FCC chairman Tom Wheeler announced his intention to propose this back in October, writing that "21st century consumers shouldn’t be shackled to rules that only recognize 20th century technology." Under this new proposal, any company using any technology to broadcast video streams would have the ability to license content owned by cable and broadcast networks. In effect, the commission is just expanding the rules that Congress once used to give satellite TV providers a leg up — and it's clear that that effort worked. Following today's proposal, there will be a 30-to-45-day comment period on the proposal. Should it go into effect just as the FCC is hoping, it could mean some big changes for the tech industry. Chief among them: we may finally get a real Apple TV. http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/19/7423457/fcc-proposes-rule-change-that-could-kickstart-internet-tv

Reactions: Lue and TNGTony
I'm not sure where the FCC thinks they have any say over what happens on the Internet and how providers do business with would-be carriers.

The FCC offered their help on Comcast Sports Philly and think about how that changed the face of RSNs (imperceptably).

I'm not sure where the FCC thinks they have any say over what happens on the Internet and how providers do business with would-be carriers.

The FCC offered their help on Comcast Sports Philly and think about how that changed the face of RSNs (imperceptably).

Because back in 1934 congress gave the FCC the power to regulate all electronic communications that crossed state boundaries. Essentially the internet could fall under the definition of an interstate telecommunications service. https://it.ojp.gov/default.aspx?area=privacy&page=1288

This may help drop the price of video delivery in that an existing service can be used to broadcast the video (internet) instead of having to create a cable buildout or launch satellites to start a new service. This could mean more competition. Different companies could offer a cheap lineup dealing with companies that are willing to sell the channels cheap without demands like the larger companies have. There could be new channels form to get launched on the service. Kind of like what is offered on Roku, a free marketplace for new channel launches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)