Obama Calls On FCC To Reclassify Internet And Implement Tough Net Neutrality Rules

Sure it would. Just not as well.
Have u ever heard a pirate radio station? Only one station per frequency exists for a reason..cell phones would be unusable..emergency communications would be a disaster..it would be like sticking your head out the window an hollering with 500 people doing the same thing

If a utility pole has multiple tenants, like Power, telephone, and CATV, that pole is jointly owned by whoever is on it. At least in California that is true....
Being part of a regional organization that redefines or otherwise shares responsibility probably isn't even legal in most localities.

In most jurisdictions, the franchised power company owns the utility poles and they lease contacts to them to others. Were they are shared between power companies, the one that owns the territory "owns" the pole for maintenance purposes.

Being part of a regional organization that redefines or otherwise shares responsibility probably isn't even legal in most localities.

In most jurisdictions, the franchised power company owns the utility poles and they lease contacts to them to others. Were they are shared between power companies, the one that owns the territory "owns" the pole for maintenance purposes.
No..most are "shared"..they take turns replacing them..for example if telco and electric are on same pole..a car hits the pole..if the tag says its electric then its telcos turn to replace the pole and vice versa..neither pays rent..taxes are paid on poles each utility owns..cable and other services pay rent

The poles are not what is important. It is the fact is that utilities use publicly owned right of ways whether it is on a pole or buried in the ground. Airwaves are also publicly owned assets. This, in addition to the commerce clause is how it all falls under government regulations.

Reactions: TheKrell
No..most are "shared"..they take turns replacing them..for example if telco and electric are on same pole..a car hits the pole..if the tag says its electric then its telcos turn to replace the pole and vice versa..neither pays rent..taxes are paid on poles each utility owns..cable and other services pay rent

Not around here, I handle the claims for 2 electric utilities, and they own and pay for all the poles damaged whether they have any hosted services on the pole or not. We replace the pole and our lines and then give ATT, Windstream, EasyTel, Cox, Suddenlink or whoever have access to repair their lines

Not around here, I handle the claims for 2 electric utilities, and they own and pay for all the poles damaged whether they have any hosted services on the pole or not. We replace the pole and our lines and then give ATT, Windstream, EasyTel, Cox, Suddenlink or whoever have access to repair their lines
What state?..we share in nj..electric fixes first for safety reasons

In my area we have Portland General Electric owning all he poles and Comcast and CenturyLink paying for contacts. All "wire" is owned by one of these three companies and in the case of CenturyLink, some customers get service through resellers.

We don't really have rights-of-way outside of the city limits so much as we have utility easements.

http://fairerplatform.com/2015/01/google-fiber-tells-fcc-go-title-ii/

Google Fiber Tells FCC to Go Title II and…

Eschew forbearance of Section 224 because that will open up last mile fiber competition. What’s that? While Verizon and AT&T have stated unequivocally that regulating internet industry under Title II of the Telecommunications Act will kill investment, Google Fiber says bring it and let fiber to the home blossom!

If Google Fiber is classified as an utility they get to attach to poles at set rates.
Yep, and thus this just became the worst nightmare for all of those who dont want google fiber in their areas. Not only will this allow them to attach onto poles at set rates, it also gives them access to poles they never had access to before. Googles comments also goes to prove what ATT and others are saying is wrong. This leaves the FCC only one choice, but to go ahead and classify the internet as a regulated utility. I actually kind of agree with this sense POTS has been dropped in place of VOIP. VOIP is not regulated and always has ridden over the internet. I had an issue with Century link where they were dragging ass getting service to me and wouldn't go any faster because "data" was not regulated. Even though they were the title II carrier and had to provide service, they used the excuse that pots lines were no longer being offered and I had to wait for their crews to put in data lines that were not regulated so they could take their time as they sought fit. An email to the state regulatory committee did nothing. So I am excited to see this happen and I hope company's like google fiber comes in and takes over the century link's of the world. Customer service was horrible and the entire 4 months I had them, I had web access to the customer who owned the phone number before me's info. I was never able to pay my bill online because it always pulled up the previous dudes info instead of my account. The phone number was correct but the last 3 on the account wasn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)