Obama weighs in on net neutrality..

The key in my opinion is that my isp should provide me with a connection at the speed they agreed to for the level of service I purchased and netflix’s isp should provide them with the level they paid for. My isp should not be allowed to sell me a level of service then provide less than that level for any sites I connect to.
Yes your right but.... Hey, go to the pit, this is a political game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States#Opposition_to_net_neutrality

Private companies built a 100 gig backbone (Comcast Verizon etc)..the government pays for nothing..it costs millions to maintain..by taking data hogs off the main path and putting them on their paths allows better service on the main path..I realize most people think the internet is open and free.but it really is just a collection of private unregulated networks owned by private companies trying to make a profit..somebody needs to pay for the upgrades..why not the data hogs?..its a win win situation..Netflix can do 4k..the internet doesn't get overcrowded..the companies that actually build the internet make a profit..if you take profit out..there will be no internet upgrades and service will really really suck because nobody will expand the backbone..I know it is far more complicated then this

Yes, you are right, it costs millions to maintain the internet backbone and distribution to individual homes. But, you gloss over the fact that BILLIONS are being charged in connection fees, making internet services the most profitable service of a cable company. But, of course since these companies are public, they are expected to increase earnings year after year. There is only so much the consumer is willing to pay, so now they are trying to collect on the connection points as a new source of revenue.

In your Netflix example you forgot to mention that Netflix has their own backbone distribution that they will deliver their services to any connection point a cable company wants, and buy all the hardware needed. They will also pay for electricity, A/C and rent of space as needed for the equipment. But, that is not enough for the companies, they want to collect from Netflix to provide the bandwidth that their customers already have paid for...

You also cannot point to the US model as being #1 in the world, except perhaps on most expensive of the developed world... We rank way behind all the "stifled regulated" markets of the world where speed is far greater and more accessible than ours...

Reactions: TheKrell
Netflix rents those facilities from Verizon:shh amongst others..the Internet is just a collection of private networks that the owners graciously allow you to travel on..It is not a non profit institution..The biggest loser in the INTERNET game is the federal government which lost billions of dollars in revenue as traditional phone line tariffs as phone lines have faded away..so now they want to regulate the internet and place all kinds of new fees and tariffs on a system that has worked rather rather well..

Netflix rents those facilities from Verizon:shh amongst others..the Internet is just a collection of private networks that the owners graciously allow you to travel on..It is not a non profit institution..The biggest loser in the INTERNET game is the federal government which lost billions of dollars in revenue as traditional phone line tariffs as phone lines have faded away..so now they want to regulate the internet and place all kinds of new fees and tariffs on a system that has worked rather rather well..
I hate the this ridiculous paranoia. If the Government wants to tax the Internet, they can. They don't need net neutrality to do it!

I hate the this ridiculous paranoia. If the Government wants to tax the Internet, they can. They don't need net neutrality to do it!
Yes they do..net neutrality are the regulations required to tax..they want to treat it like a utility. Which would suck..they want to set prices for services...they want to treat it like traditional phone service..Verizon has a set line charge..only the government can raise it..so when touchstone came out..they had to set an additional fee rather than raise the line charge.when you make a phone call... Local calls are free but if you call long distance you pay a toll which is really a part tax to each state or country the call travels through. Imagine if these same rules applied to the internet..the best way the government should collect internet taxes is via a sales tax..not a utility tax

When cars, and trains were invented, just like the internet sometimes rules and regulations have to be set up, or its drive on the right drive on the left no stop signs or lights no laws so until rules and laws were made here is what we had before you and I were born

rapidtransit-chicago.jpg

OK for you very young ones here, DID YOU KNOW THAT BEFORE 1984, SATELLITE TV WAS ILLEGAL, THEN THE GOVERNMENT STEPPED IN, AND MADE IT LEGAL!!!!

So when I started selling BUDs my own brother said hey you're in a business that is not legal, yes, but we small dealers fought it, and the government went on our side, about it, Scott if you're reading this, could you dig up one of those old magazines I gave you to show how we fought it. And won to make it legal. Big cable wanted total control!!!

I think if I talk any more about this I'm breaking the rules about what I can speak about here in this forum but drop into the pit and read.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/evolution-cable-television

http://www.publicaccess.org/cableact.html

No it don't work that way at all.

Ok... we have SatelliteGuys, we pay to have our servers hosted and pay for all the bandwidth you and all the members here use.

Now lets say SatelliteGuys gets really popular...

Now Comcast (or whoever) notices that we are getting popular and comes to use and says... "Hey we see your site is getting really popular, a lot of our customers are visiting your site and thats great! However since so many are going to your site you must pay us (even though we are not your ISP) a lot of money for us to keep passing your data to our customers or we are going to throttle all connections going to SatelliteGuys so that its so slow no one goes to your site anymore."

Now this is fair HOW?

The customer is paying Comcast for their Internet Connection, and I am paying my ISP for the bandwidth that my site uses. Why can Comcast (or whoever) get in the middle and pick at random any site and demand more payment or they are going to throttle their connections?

BTW just saw this... might be another reason why a DIRECTV & AT&T Merger might not be a good idea.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7203089/at-t-net-neutrality-fiber

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)