Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Now Open, First Shipments March 28

Oculus is countering that Zenimax is basically making a mountain out of a molehill and that they were not harmed at all by Oculus when they allegedly used their code. Their main point being that Zenimax can't just scream for compensation when no actual harm was done, nor could they rightfully make a valid claim to a monetary amount.
Did they seriously say that? The theft and use (without permission or royalty agreement) alone was harm.

Unless Occulus rewrites it's code from scratch, they will be paying royalties.

Did they seriously say that? The theft and use (without permission or royalty agreement) alone was harm.

Unless Occulus rewrites it's code from scratch, they will be paying royalties.
It appears the article somewhat misquoted the issue. The Royalty Argument stems from Oculus violating an NDA, not ongoing copyright infringement.

From the article.

In its own court filings in response to the injunction motion, Oculus argues that "ZeniMax cannot show it is suffering continuing harm" from Oculus' actions. On the contrary, Oculus argues that the trial found ZeniMax would likely suffer "zero" monetary harm in the future because of Oculus' NDA breaches, which it says took place years ago and are not ongoing. "ZeniMax does not offer any products that compete with Oculus’s virtual-reality platforms and headsets," the company points out.

As long as they continue to use the code that Carmack stole, or code derived from it, then it's ongoing infringement. Hence the demand for royalties, or blocked sales.

Doesn't matter if there's harm or not, using stolen code is harm in itself. Just ask Charlie & Tivo.

If someone unlawfully used code I owned, I'd sue them too.

For a limited time you can get the Oculus Rift AND controller bundle for $400. This is being done at all major retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, and Newegg. Note that unfortunately, the Rift is NOT eligible for GCU discounts.

I SO wish there was more software available because this is basically an entry price for me, but I don't see what I'd be playing besides SuperHot and Doom VR.

Perhaps, although they're not far removed from a previous price drop, and Oculus was still selling at a loss at that price. Some speculate that they're clearing out inventory in preparation for a hardware revision that's about to be released. It'll definitely get more units in consumers' hands now that the entire bundle is at a reasonable price.

Regardless, I'll try out Google Cardboard as my first foray into VR before I consider an investment like this.

I have an occulus.... i disabled the updates because they were almost every other day and would happen while i was playing a game --- ie, game almost stops.... drove me nutz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)