Odd 771 Errors - Repeated Intermittent after Tech Visits

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Before that you should at least give SWiM a try.

And I'm really surprised the tech. on successive vists placed so much effort and cost into troubleshooting an obsolete legacy installation this way. When the standard today is to simply upgrade to SWiM for any problematic HD legacy installation like that.
That's why I mentioned being surprised that the tech didn't switch him over to a swm setup. It's so much easier to work with, fewer "moving parts".

Yes, I'm surprised also.
Still think there is a gap between what we are asking and what you are responding. You can't get 771 messages if ALL satellites are at 90s or above.maybe 101 looks OK and the others are not.

HoTat, is this something I can request from DTV? (Actually Goodman who does the install/repair for them?)

Texasbrit, I wish I you could this. Again, these readings since the tech visited just pop up on the screen fpr a minute or two. No interruption in picture or sound.

What makes me think it is a cable problem is the fact that I recorded to shows at 9pm last night and only one completely recorded.

Since I "own" the cable install (DTV didn't do that, the builder did) is an electrician the right person to call to check these cables?

Texasbrit, I wish I you could this. Again, these readings since the tech visited just pop up on the screen fpr a minute or two. No interruption in picture or sound.

What makes me think it is a cable problem is the fact that I recorded to shows at 9pm last night and only one completely recorded.

Since I "own" the cable install (DTV didn't do that, the builder did) is an electrician the right person to call to check these cables?
You own everything minus the receivers/dvrs anyways. You can test the cables for continuity easily enough, but for bandwidth you need a specific. How long are the cables from inside the house to the dish? Could you replace them yourself?

HoTat, is this something I can request from DTV? (Actually Goodman who does the install/repair for them?)
Yes, ...

But that's what makes this so strange, as the point is you really shouldn't have to. It's standard procedure nowadays to upgrade an HD subscriber to SWiM whenever encountering a problem with a legacy installation.

Weird that the tech wasted all this time and effort fiddling with an obsolete setup this way.

How weird that I bumped into this thread... this happened to me this past weekend. I recently moved and all of a sudden I'm getting this intermittent 771 error messages on the screen. I tried calling the tech guy who came to do the install and of course he didn't picked up. I read online and saw they say that you're supposed to check the connections and so on. I did that but what I ended up doing which solved the issue was I disconnected the power cable of the SWiM adapter or whatever you call that from the surge protector and plugged it directly to the wall outlet and the error message disappeared. Not sure if you have the same situation where the SWiM multiswitch connector is connected to a surge or extension.

:welcome to Satelliteguys screwshead728!
Surge protectors and power inserters don't always get along. A UPS is a good place to plug it in.

As was stated earlier, 771 error is caused by loss of satellite signal to your receiver. The confusion can arise when you are watching a two tuner system. The tuner you are watching is just fine, while the signal on the second tuner, which is probably looking at a different satellite or transponder, drops significantly. The receiver tells you it has lost the signal, and sometimes , it tells you which tuner it is affecting. There is not a good way to determine which tuner you are watching on your receiver, so the message may mean the other tuner is having a problem. I believe this was much more prevalent on the legacy systems, than on SWM systems. And the cable that go from the 6x8 multiswitch, do NOT go to any splitters, correct? The run directly from the 6x8 to the receivers. If any of those cables are split, (running to two different receivers) you can have intermittent problems since in the legacy system, the voltages from the receiver going up to the multiswitch, determine which satellite, transponder, and channel are selected.

How weird that I bumped into this thread... this happened to me this past weekend. I recently moved and all of a sudden I'm getting this intermittent 771 error messages on the screen. I tried calling the tech guy who came to do the install and of course he didn't picked up. I read online and saw they say that you're supposed to check the connections and so on. I did that but what I ended up doing which solved the issue was I disconnected the power cable of the SWiM adapter or whatever you call that from the surge protector and plugged it directly to the wall outlet and the error message disappeared. Not sure if you have the same situation where the SWiM multiswitch connector is connected to a surge or extension.

Unfortunately it isn't the same situation, as the OP has a legacy installation. Not a SWiM one ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)