odd problem 119 coming in on the 110 lnb

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
and further deteriorating...

Ok, just as expected (after the first few outages) the signal dropped increasingly on my 501. I followed Simple Simon's advice and did a Switch Matrix reset like he suggested. I was easily able to get the screen with four Xs (for a legacy LNB?) after pulling the satellite cable. However, getting the DP Twin with both satellites to be recognized again was impossible last night. After power plug rebooting all I could get was the DP Twin switch, but no birds whatsoever. Tried a few power plug reboots and a few front panel resets, including swapping the smart card in and out. No go whatsoever. I gave up.

Today I reattempted Check Switch. I didn't do any power plug rebooting, but when the birds wouldn't show up, did a front panel reset, ran Check Switch, no birds, tried again and they mysteriously appeared.

Now the signal is back with outages here and there, just like before. I read in some other posts that users with 501s had similar problems and that connecting other receivers to the same line worked without problems. Is there anything that's known about the 501 that describes such receiver problems? Newer firmware causing lower tuner reliability or something?

I'm about to get a new PVR, either a 501/508 from ebay or a 510 through Dish. I just can't imagine that anything else is causing the problems at this point. Does anyone disagree?

A short history (so you don't have to read all posts): dish 500 with PVR 501 subscriber for 2.5 years, initial installation worked pretty much without problems until about a month ago, when signal outages became more and more frequent and the system was unusable. replaced legacy dual lnb with DP Pro Twin LNB, replaced cabling with one new 100' RG6 cable with T&B SnS connectors. Realigned dish for maximum signal strength (over 100 on almost all 110 and 119 transponders, when it works). Signal strength is either all or nothing, no ramping. Did front panel resets, SmartCard in/outs, power plug reboots and the Switch Matrix reset that Simple Simon suggested. The problem remains...

Any advice appreciated,
Thanks,

Hajo

p.s. weather is sunny, few clouds...

Yeah, it sure looks like it's a flaky tuner in the receiver.

Last chance is a heat issue in the box (I did NOT re-read the thread to see if that's already been checked). If you want to play with it, make sure the box has plenty of cool air all around and see if it helps. Maybe even try blowing canned air into it when it flakes out, but that's more for curiousity than anything else.

Canned air sprayed upside-down is usually very cold because of the propellant.

thanks...

Thanks Simple Simon,

I kind of came to the same conclusion about it possibly being a thermal issue. I posted something over here because this thread is now not really fitting anymore:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=137157#post137157

Called DishNetwork today and after very little explanation they offered me a Dish 510 for $79, which I took. I asked whether I had to pay the $5 fee, but the CS rep couldn't answer that question.

We'll see,
Thanks again,

Hajo

easy fix.it is more then likely a glitch.get your 119 sat up tp about 120 again.then do a check switch.anter that it will more the likely tell you that you have both sats and all transponders.if you do check your signals again.

they both will be green now

it's not the alignment...

thanks for the reply, but it's not the alignment anymore.

As I stated earlier:
A short history (so you don't have to read all posts): dish 500 with PVR 501 subscriber for 2.5 years, initial installation worked pretty much without problems until about a month ago, when signal outages became more and more frequent and the system was unusable. replaced legacy dual lnb with DP Pro Twin LNB, replaced cabling with one new 100' RG6 cable with T&B SnS connectors. Realigned dish for maximum signal strength (over 100 on almost all 110 and 119 transponders, when it works). Signal strength is either all or nothing, no ramping. Did front panel resets, SmartCard in/outs, power plug reboots and the Switch Matrix reset that Simple Simon suggested. The problem remains...

In recap, signal strength is all or nothing, there's no weak signal ever. Signal strength is well over 100 on all but one transponder when it works and it seems that the problem is isolated to the Dish PVR 501. Hop on over here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=138422#post138422 to see what I'm talking about.

Hajo

binary said:
thanks for the reply, but it's not the alignment anymore.

As I stated earlier:

In recap, signal strength is all or nothing, there's no weak signal ever. Signal strength is well over 100 on all but one transponder when it works and it seems that the problem is isolated to the Dish PVR 501. Hop on over here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=138422#post138422 to see what I'm talking about.

Hajo

i just also heard that dish put out a bad batch of lnbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts