Odd problem with 6000 OTA module

MarcS

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Just recently I seem to have lost the ability to receive VHF signals on my OTA module--UHF is fine. I get a few very snowy channels. I've tried 2 different antennas, and verified VHF signals on other TVs with rabbit ears...

The OTA module receives digital signals (and HD) fine (which happen to be in the UHF range in my city).

Is it possible for only the VHF portion of the module to crap out?

I've removed it and re-seated to make sure all the contacts are good.

Rebooted the unit with an unplug poweroff.

Uh, let me add, that this started happening after some horrendous electrically active thunderstorms hit a few days ago... my antennas are in the attic, and weren't struck by lightening, otherwise I'd have much bigger problems :shocked ...

My dishes are grounded of course, and the single cable comes into surge suppressor before going to the 6000...

Did lose power for a while, and there was at least one lightening strike within a mile of my house.

If that's responsible, is it conceivable only the VHF capability would be lost out of the whole OTA module?

You mentioned antenna(s) is there a common one for your VHF and UHF reception or 2 combined. In either case if you take your antenna lead and plug it directly into the TV what happens Is the UHF still okay and the VHF not? Let me know what happens when you do this.

I had this happen to mine and it seemed to be heat related. If it won't come back after unplugging, removing and cooling down, you'll most likely need a new module. I ended up replacing mine, but it was covered under the extended warranty.

Stacy A said:
Do you have a signal amplifier or pre-amp attached to your antennas?

I did briefly use a Dynaco 416 as a signal amp.... :D (haha, that's a joke for people closer to my age that--gasp--actually used to build their equipment from kits!!!!!)

But seriously, no amps on the signal.

And for other questions... it's a combined VHF/UHF antenna with single leads.

Haven't tried plugging the antenna directly into the tv, I'll have to do that tonight...

Hmmm, heat related, I could see that... but, don't have a warranty, and I won't be replacing it--the UHF works fine, of course, if my locals decide to pick their VHF channel as a keeper as opposed to the UHF, then I'd be out of luck. The biggest problem I have with my digital OTA stations is antenna location and power. Can't point the antenna in one direction and pick them all up, even with a pre-amp...

I guess there must be a discreet component related to VHF reception with this module?

In any case, I've got an HTPC with a MyHD mdp-120 card that works great, and maybe I'll continue to tweak antenna position and end up using that for locals...

If I pull the module out to let it cool down, do you think it would hurt it if I flung it against the wall? Ok, maybe not then... I'll try pulling it for a few hours too... (i.e., pulling the OTA module).

Ran the antenna directly into the tv, and it works fine. So it seems that the OTA card indeed has lost the VHF portion, but retains the UHF...

Pulling the module for a few hours didn't help...

Well, hadn't used my receiver in a while, turned it on last night and it's got some serious problems... could be coincidental, or something broke both my OTA card and receiver... damn, and I just hurt my budget with a Canon L lense!!

If you really want to stay with the 6000 it looks like your only option is to replace the module, you can probably make a deal with dish (with some commitment) to get an 811 for a good price. It's probably worth a try.

rcbridge said:
If you really want to stay with the 6000 it looks like your only option is to replace the module, you can probably make a deal with dish (with some commitment) to get an 811 for a good price. It's probably worth a try.
:eek: I am not sure about the 811 with all of the problems it has shown to have.....

BryanSR

rcbridge said:

It's only a matter of the OTA module, the rest of the 6000 is ok (well, except for the last couple software "upgrades" that ruined remote control operation). If I'm going to spend more money, it wouldn't be to replace a first generation OTA tuner, I'd put it towards a MyHD mdp-130 computer card tuner that is QAM capable.

As much as I'd hate to do it, subscribing to lifeline cable for locals in HD @$7/mo would be cheaper than buying a new 8VSB module for the 6000...

Hey, the big upside to getting rid of the OTA module is golden SILENCE! No more fan noise (and I've already replaced the fan with a quieter unit--and it's still noticable from 8-10 feet away). Wow, now I'm happy! :)

6000 ota tuner card

Call Dish at 1800333dish, have them turn on the exteneded warranty for 5.99 a month call back about a week later go thru the tech support bs and they will send you a remanufactured ota tuner card for i think its 14.99, so for 20 bucks you can get a new ota module, cancel the 5.99 extended warranty after a month or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)