Odd problem with Dish LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carload

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I just added a second Dish network LNBF to the Dish 500 I have pointing at BEV's Nimiq satellites. (I love the FTA jazz stations available, and CBC radio is okay too.) This newly arrived LNBF is a dual, but otherwise it looks the same as my older single-connection Dish LNBF; it's a ..201 to the older ..101.

The LNBF works fine, but when I Disecq-switch to it, I can't switch back without rebooting my Pansat receiver. (That takes all of five seconds, so this isn't a huge problem.) After rebooting, I can access all 4 Disecq positions plugged into my switch, but if I hit the new LNBF, there's no going back without an on and off.

I'm certain that the problem's in the LNBF; I swapped cords, switch positions, even placement on the dish. I even tried both connections on the beastie, but they both give me the same minor trouble. So whaddaya suppose is going on here?

It has to be the LNB. I am using a fair whack of DBS LNB's (110, 119, 82, 91) for the audio and Gol TV with a 4x1 switch and I don;t have that issue. Remember when you add something to a Diseqc or replace it, make sure to master power the unti off before hooking up :)

Max, I saw your earlier note that sometimes a receiver/LNBF combo results in a signal so strong that it saturates the cable to the point where the switch signals can't get through, and you suggested a preamp plugged in reverse (kind of a de-amp). Unless such a thing drops into my lap, I'll live with a quick off-and-on after those occasions when I want to listen in on Nimiq 2. But thanks for your input.

And yes, Iceberg, I already fried a switch a few weeks ago. Since then, I'm particularly wary of making sure the receiver is unplugged and disconnected before doing anything around the switch. And I've ordered a backup switch just in case. :)

carload said:
a preamp plugged in reverse (kind of a de-amp).

I guess you could call it a de-amp, my definition involves longer words and has the word "Proton" in there somewhere.

The theory is, the Reverse-coupled-proton-acceleration-point (Humans may call it a "De-amp") would amplify the DiSEqC signals toward the switch while letting the signal from the LNB pass back through.
As the voltage on the co-ax is still at the correct polarity (Centre +V) You wouldn't risk damaging anything as the only signal passing out from your receiver is H/V (Which should remain unchanged) and the DiSEqC pulses.

Now if someone would market a real DiSEqC amplifier for long cable runs we'd be set.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts