Odd problem with downloaded VOD

NoBoB

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
A couple weeks ago I was at a friend's house checking out his new Samsung 4k TV. He flipped through channels and stopped on Encore Westerns, which caused him to point out the sharpness of the new TV exposed the lousy SD video quality worse than his old DLP unit did. When I asked if any of the On Demand titles were in HD he had no idea his Hopper even offered that, so I showed him how all it worked. The first title he tried to access ("100 Rifles", if that matters) started to download but then reported a 'download failed' error. We tried another and it failed too. I replaced the wireless dongle with a hardwire Ethernet cable, but that didn't help; still fails.

We then tried Pandora. It loads up fine, but songs only play for 5, 10, maybe 15 seconds and then it skips to the next. Once it a while it will play a full song, but it's maybe one out of ten at best. The Pandora app built-in to the TV plays flawlessly for hours, so I don't think it's his router/modem/ISP. I don't know if the VOD download issue and the skipping Pandora are related, but they both have his Hopper's networking in common.

He has a 1st gen Hopper (like I do). He called a DISH script-reader who promptly ran him through the 'unplug/replug, reset the modem/router, stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken' routine before being kicked to tier 2. A very nice lady there had us check a few things and said she'd be referring this to engineering. That's where I left. I tested Pandora on my Hopper later that night and it plays without skipping, as expected.

Since then, they've been able to download and watch a bunch of TV episodes (Game of Thrones, for example) without incident as long as they don't try to watch while it's downloading. The odd problem is that movies seem to download with the scenes out of order, for lack of a better description. A movie will play the first 15 minutes or so, and then play the last 20, then somewhere in the middle, etc. It appears the entire movie is there, it's just jumbled up.

He called DISH again today and they offered him a Hopper 3, but that's $3 more per month and he doesn't see why he should have to pay more to fix this problem (even if the H3 would be worth it for most of us) and doesn't want to go through the receiver swap hassle if he can avoid it.

Has anyone run into these symptoms before? Have I overlooked something obvious, or should he just get a replacement Hopper and be done with it?

If it was just an issue on WiFi, I'd say the dongle is bad or the USB port it was connected to was bad. Since it happens on Ethernet as well, that means (2) failures (Ethernet port and either USB or dongle) - pretty unlikely, I think. The app on the TV works fine so that means his router isn't to blame.

There is a "Reset network" option on the Hopper. That's about all I can think of now.

I have a similar problem. When I download a on demand show or movie, it will almost always download for a bit and the state, "download failed". I will come back later and it will continue downloading it. This just started recently. I have the Hopper w/ Sling on the carbon software.

There is a "Reset network" option on the Hopper.

Indeed, that was one of the steps in the 'stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken' routine :)

Maybe I'll take my Hopper over there this weekend so he'll know for sure if it's his unit or his network.

Reactions: Hall
A couple weeks ago I was at a friend's house checking out his new Samsung 4k TV. He flipped through channels and stopped on Encore Westerns, which caused him to point out the sharpness of the new TV exposed the lousy SD video quality worse than his old DLP unit did. When I asked if any of the On Demand titles were in HD he had no idea his Hopper even offered that, so I showed him how all it worked. The first title he tried to access ("100 Rifles", if that matters) started to download but then reported a 'download failed' error. We tried another and it failed too. I replaced the wireless dongle with a hardwire Ethernet cable, but that didn't help; still fails.

We then tried Pandora. It loads up fine, but songs only play for 5, 10, maybe 15 seconds and then it skips to the next. Once it a while it will play a full song, but it's maybe one out of ten at best. The Pandora app built-in to the TV plays flawlessly for hours, so I don't think it's his router/modem/ISP. I don't know if the VOD download issue and the skipping Pandora are related, but they both have his Hopper's networking in common.

He has a 1st gen Hopper (like I do). He called a DISH script-reader who promptly ran him through the 'unplug/replug, reset the modem/router, stand on one foot and cluck like a chicken' routine before being kicked to tier 2. A very nice lady there had us check a few things and said she'd be referring this to engineering. That's where I left. I tested Pandora on my Hopper later that night and it plays without skipping, as expected.

Since then, they've been able to download and watch a bunch of TV episodes (Game of Thrones, for example) without incident as long as they don't try to watch while it's downloading. The odd problem is that movies seem to download with the scenes out of order, for lack of a better description. A movie will play the first 15 minutes or so, and then play the last 20, then somewhere in the middle, etc. It appears the entire movie is there, it's just jumbled up.

He called DISH again today and they offered him a Hopper 3, but that's $3 more per month and he doesn't see why he should have to pay more to fix this problem (even if the H3 would be worth it for most of us) and doesn't want to go through the receiver swap hassle if he can avoid it.

Has anyone run into these symptoms before? Have I overlooked something obvious, or should he just get a replacement Hopper and be done with it?

Yes; Have had download failed on and off for a while with the Dish Hopper 2. Lately it's been all the time. Had a DVR issue and they replaced the Hopper but it didn't solve the "download failed" issues. Had tech out today to put in a "Hopper Internet Connection" box. That too didn't solve the problem. The tech said that he'd seen this issue once before and it was solved with a Hopper 3 upgrade. I called and they are going to upgrade my Hopper and Joeys this weekend. Tried to charge me the $3.26/month more but balked. I agree with you, why should I pay more to Dish to get their service, on their leased equipment, to work. They offered $5/month off the bill for 12 months to offset the $3.26, so I agreed. Then they tried to insist on a 24 month contract but I refused it.
OPINION: I have Time Warner 300mps internet service. I noticed that when my network is slow, and the Hopper is downloading below 10mps, the download goes OK. Then when it's up at 20mps or more, the download fails. My Hopper is usually getting 40-80mps. I think that the Hopper can't handle that speed and it's causing the download fails (and sometimes Netflix to error even when the network test is OK)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)