Odd request

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibaro29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Lake Worth FL
I have the WSI $69.00 special and for the past three years rust has been eating away the tripod (lnb holder). I need to built a new tripod but I have no clue how long the arms are supposed to be. The ones I have right now are so bent and mangled that it is almost impossible to get an accurate measurement.

Short of getting the measurements**, find a bigger mesh dish. ( I don't know what the measurement would be)
2 things come to mind. Higher performance, and mesh will almost totally disappear if painted to match it's surroundings.
**According to the parts sheet here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=309 the focal length is 26 3/8- 67cm (?) and F/D is .38
#2, LNB Supporter says 12x980mm pipe
How helpful that is is questionable. Think I'd somehow support the lnbf at the proper position, and then measure/fabricate supports. (Focal point should fall around a 1/4 inch inside the throat)
Question: if the support arms are bent/mangled, what does the rest of the dish look like?

Last edited:
Same work; better result

Sorry to hear about your rust 'n mangle.
I really got to agree with Fat Air, above: find a (free? / used) 8' or 10' mesh or perf.
Take a look at the 8' perf in my signature. Very stealthy. :)

C band performance will be considerably better, and it'll last longer.
The 6' WSI is pretty flimsy. Add to that all the renovation..
You might as well put the effort into a bigger dish.

On the forum here, there are numerous stories of finding and restoring old BUDs.
It's not difficult; you don't -need- to make 'em look new.
Many could go up with no more than a lube and an alignment.
But generally the rust gets brushed off the mount, and a little new spray paint applied.
Nicer dishes have aluminum ribs and mesh/perf.
I wouldn't do much more than wash those. ! ;) :up

Yea, new dish time :) but FYI
Support 003.JPG Support 005.JPG

and from the other end

Support 001.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. This is going to help me a lot. My dish is for must part in good shape. My problem is the lnb holder. I have been looking around for a mesh dish but so far no luck. I have limited space in my back yard. I do not believe a 10 footer is practical. My best bet would be a 7.5 or 8 footer and not sure I could find one here in South Florida. The ones I have seen are way over my budget ($1,000.00)

Yep, they are still out there. Just have to be quicker than the scrappers. There's been some Florida dishes in the thread [h=3]more Craigslist dishes for your perusal.[/h]Put an ad in the paper, check ebayclassifieds.
Tell those asking $1k that you'll check back in a week or two to see if they got their price. Then counter with a fair offer. That's around $50. (The scrap value)

no ones paying $1000 for a backyard variety dish today. but if you have put in many hours looking.
running your ads on Craigslist etc, paying more than me or the next guy might be the right thing to do. some areas suck for finding them. those $1000 guys might think about $200 if offered a few times.
good luck

I recently put a free "Wanted" ad in the local trader paper and got 4 calls, one of which was a ten foot Unimesh that is in pretty good condition. Bought that one from the guy for $100 and will move it some time this week when it stops raining. And BTW, that dish could not be seen from the highway!

Two years ago a local guy gave me a 7.5 ft SAMI that I'm using now. It's just not large enough for what I want to do with it, hence the search for the larger dish.

It really depends on where you live as to the quantity of product. Those asking $1000+ are likely not greedy, just not educated in the current market for these. Imagine the person who paid several thousands $ for their installation "just a few years ago" (more like 30+ years ago!). It's our job to educate them politely about the reality of selling BUDs in 2013. Persistence will probably pay off for a potential buyer.

This area is way over populated so my chances of finding a Cband dish might be slim to none. A few years back I use to see Cband dishes every where but not anymore. My dream of having a 7.5' or 8'Cband dish is quickly fading away.

High population is an advantage. That means there were probably many big dishes installed back when. And there really aren't many now looking for or wanting to keep these big dishes except us crazy hobbyists. Because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They may be hidden behind houses purposely installed in concealed locations. So put out free ads and check all ad sources...you never know.

I just have one more question. How do the feed support arms get mangled without damaging the dish? From what I've read, the dish sections are quite thin. I'm under the impression that it doesn't take much to deform them.
In the quest for a larger dish, perseverance is golden, it'll show up.

Because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They may be hidden behind houses purposely installed in concealed locations. So put out free ads and check all ad sources...you never know.
good point
if a homes backyard has southern exposure you will not see a dish from the street.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)